Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wbrichard
    • By wbrichard 7th Dec 17, 9:16 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 6Thanks
    wbrichard
    MBNA Stoozing - new term tripped me up
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:16 AM
    MBNA Stoozing - new term tripped me up 7th Dec 17 at 9:16 AM
    I'm an experienced user of 0% purchase cards which I pay off at the end of the promotional term. Must have been doing this for 3 years or so. In January I took out a NUBA card from MBNA with a deal for 30 months interest free on purchases and balance transfers. I applied for this using MSE's credit card eligibility checker and all went well. In July I applied for another card - also from MBNA and also offering 30 months interest free. In September I started using it, but noticed a small interest charge on my October statement. My November statement now shows an interest charge of £25. Strange I thought, as I pay off the minimum by direct debit - as I have done with so many other cards in the past.

So I contact MBNA and find this... in the small print is a clause which states that whilst the card is interest free on purchases for 30 months - that only counts on purchases made within the first 3 months.

I have both MBNA card contract booklets and acceptance letters and they are identical save for this very small detail. This second card with the new style of "30 months interest free" headline but actually only meaning on the first 3 months purchases was also made through the eligibility calculator. I've just gone through it again and it does not state anywhere the extra terms.

Frankly, I feel stupid for not treble-checking the details - I'm normally financially savvy. However, in this instance the text is not obvious.

I am raising a complaint with MBNA and will also contact MSE about their tool and this new type of catch. As I've never seen it mentioned before, just thought I'd share so others can check their card details. Thanks.
Page 1
    • radoslaff
    • By radoslaff 7th Dec 17, 9:43 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    radoslaff
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:43 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:43 AM
    So this makes it only suitable for one off big purchase and practically one time interest free credit. Still useful though.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 7th Dec 17, 10:07 PM
    • 24,255 Posts
    • 11,537 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:07 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:07 PM
    To be honest if you were an experienced stoozer you would have taken the general advice from here not to mix balance transfer cards with purchases.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 8th Dec 17, 7:41 AM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    • 8th Dec 17, 7:41 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 7:41 AM
    To be honest if you were an experienced stoozer you would have taken the general advice from here not to mix balance transfer cards with purchases.
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever
    He doesn't say he BT'd though, he might only be using it for purchases.

OP - cards are categorised as being for BTs, MTs or purchases. It is quite common for a primarily BT card to also offer a short period (say 90 days) of purchases at 0%. MBNA will offer different types of cards with different deals. I think you quite simply applied for the wrong type of card - a BT one instead of a Purchases one.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Dec 17, 8:43 AM
    • 18,764 Posts
    • 14,469 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 8th Dec 17, 8:43 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 8:43 AM
    From what I can see they must have withdrawn that card and it's terms and replaced it with a 28 month interest free card, which seems to be both BTs in the first 60 days and purchases at any time during the 28 months - there's certainly no obvious time limit to purchases.

https://www.nubacards.co.uk/credit-cards/all-round/
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 8th Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 8th Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    • 8th Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever
    The only exception i know is with the Nationwide Select cc. You can combine both.
    • HogMan
    • By HogMan 8th Dec 17, 2:03 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    HogMan
    • 8th Dec 17, 2:03 PM
    • 8th Dec 17, 2:03 PM
    I have a Virgin Money card that allows both for 24 months
    • wbrichard
    • By wbrichard 8th Dec 17, 2:26 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    wbrichard
    • 8th Dec 17, 2:26 PM
    Update from MBNA
    • 8th Dec 17, 2:26 PM
    Well I raised a complaint as I also have a MBNA Nuba card and the documentation is virtually identical, save for a small piece of text around the 0% on purchases only being for those made in the first 60 days.

MBNA have now come back to me and, much to my surprise, are going to refund the interest. I have cleared off the balance of the card and will be closing it in due course.
    • wbrichard
    • By wbrichard 8th Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    wbrichard
    • 8th Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    • 8th Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    I went for a 0% on purchases - which often also offer a BT. But it was the 0% on purchases for 28 months that drew me.
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 9th Dec 17, 10:32 AM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    eschaton
    I'm an experienced user of 0% purchase cards which I pay off at the end of the promotional term. Must have been doing this for 3 years or so. In January I took out a NUBA card from MBNA with a deal for 30 months interest free on purchases and balance transfers. I applied for this using MSE's credit card eligibility checker and all went well. In July I applied for another card - also from MBNA and also offering 30 months interest free. In September I started using it, but noticed a small interest charge on my October statement. My November statement now shows an interest charge of £25. Strange I thought, as I pay off the minimum by direct debit - as I have done with so many other cards in the past.

So I contact MBNA and find this... in the small print is a clause which states that whilst the card is interest free on purchases for 30 months - that only counts on purchases made within the first 3 months.

I have both MBNA card contract booklets and acceptance letters and they are identical save for this very small detail. This second card with the new style of "30 months interest free" headline but actually only meaning on the first 3 months purchases was also made through the eligibility calculator. I've just gone through it again and it does not state anywhere the extra terms.

Frankly, I feel stupid for not treble-checking the details - I'm normally financially savvy. However, in this instance the text is not obvious.

I am raising a complaint with MBNA and will also contact MSE about their tool and this new type of catch. As I've never seen it mentioned before, just thought I'd share so others can check their card details. Thanks.
    Originally posted by wbrichard

You're not alone here. I'd consider myself experienced as well but got caught out. I'll admit to not reading everything and focussed on the 0% term but I'd never came across anything like that before so wasn't expecting it.

I had been reading up on the account again whilst waiting on the card and documentation when I realised. 3 months was pointless with no large purchases planned and a large limit tied up.

I waited for the documentation to arrive to double check it and once confirmed I phoned up and closed the account before activating the card.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

589Posts Today

4,985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin