Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Would you buy a house without a bath?

YES

52.80% • 132 votes

NO

47.20% • 118 votes

You may not vote on this poll

250 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • flameshouse
    • By flameshouse 6th Dec 17, 6:21 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 4Thanks
    flameshouse
    Would you buy a house without a bath??
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:21 PM
    Would you buy a house without a bath?? 6th Dec 17 at 6:21 PM
    I have a small 2 bed house with a tiny bathroom, like tiny, the sink overhangs the bath. I'm having the bathroom ripped back to brick and done from scratch, but i'm considering removing the bath and having a large shower cubicle instead... as this is a "first time buyers" kind of house, and thinking about young kids, would removing the bath completely put anyone off/lower the value?
    Last edited by flameshouse; 06-12-2017 at 7:11 PM.
Page 3
    • WorldTraveller
    • By WorldTraveller 7th Dec 17, 10:13 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    WorldTraveller
    It all comes down to personal preference really. None of my family are bath people so just a shower would be fine. Our children have had showers since they were very small so it shouldn't be an absolute deal breaker for somebody who might have young children - but again it's all down to personal preference.
    • Glover1862
    • By Glover1862 7th Dec 17, 10:57 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    Glover1862
    I assume most people wash everyday, sometime twice in the summer, when would you have time to have a full bath???? Shower all the way.
    • Coconut01
    • By Coconut01 7th Dec 17, 12:00 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Coconut01
    I rarely have a bath but with having young children i would discount anywhere that didn't have a bath.
    • movilogo
    • By movilogo 7th Dec 17, 12:06 PM
    • 2,288 Posts
    • 1,550 Thanks
    movilogo
    I take shower standing in the bath - best of both worlds
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
    • Mrs CP
    • By Mrs CP 7th Dec 17, 12:10 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Mrs CP
    We bought a house this year where the bath had been taken out and the space converted into a walk-in shower. I would have preferred both, but it wasn't a deal-breaker.

We may put the bath back in at some point as it will make life easier when grandchildren come along :-)

The main things I miss are being able to bath the dog without having to get in with him, and having a nice long soak with a glass of wine.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 7th Dec 17, 1:26 PM
    • 6,752 Posts
    • 47,414 Thanks
    kerri gt
    just imagining someone washing their baby in the kitchen sink, I suppose it is big enough, but not sure it would appreciate Fairy liquid over baby shampoo
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    I recall plenty of my baby photos of me being washed in the kitchen sink as a baby - was much easier height for my mum to manage. I assume she used baby shampoo but if she used Fairy liquid then I'm pretty sure no long term effects have been suffered and I have no dried on egg either
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Bvv
    • By Bvv 7th Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Bvv
    Depends on the space. If there is sufficient space, then I'd prefer a bath with shower over it. If your bathroom is tiny, however, then I'd much rather have a non-cramped shower room than a cramped bathroom!
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 7th Dec 17, 5:05 PM
    • 6,084 Posts
    • 7,837 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    I would prefer to have a bath (and shower over it) than just a shower.
    In looking at houses I would consider one with only a shower, but only if there was room to install a bath, and my offer would reflect that fact that i would want to have a bath put in.

If there wasn't enough space for a full length bath I would not consider buyer.

(Bath with no shower would mean I'd be thinking of the cost of adding a shower, but would be less off-putting)

That said, unless you are planning to sell soon, do what works best for your household. If you decide to go for no bath, consider keeping some photos or a plan of of the bathroom 'before' to show that a bath can be fitted in.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 7th Dec 17, 7:30 PM
    • 10,108 Posts
    • 24,933 Thanks
    suki1964
    Do what me mum done , put a sitting bath in and a shower over the deep end

It was actually very handy for all age groups. Those that wanted a bath but had mobility problems could still use it, kids could bath their babies in it with the use of a good mat, those who wanted a shower were catered for as well.

Werenít cheap back then but Iím sure the have become much popular so should be within reach
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it

still singing, loud and clear
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 8th Dec 17, 10:47 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    maisie cat
    I'd buy a house without a bath because fewer people would be interested and I'd be more likely to be in a better negotiating position. A bath is easy to install and if I were considering selling a house without a bath I would install one just for the purposes of selling
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 8th Dec 17, 12:09 PM
    • 8,838 Posts
    • 21,145 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    I always said I'd never buy a house without a bath but the right house came along at the right time and I did just that.

I can't stop calling it the bathroom though, even though it doesn't have one!

My girls are a bit older now and were extremely happy when we told them there won't be a bath
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • BikingBud
    • By BikingBud 8th Dec 17, 2:00 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    BikingBud
    If your house will be marketed to a couple who might have a baby at some point, then a bath is essential.

Trying to wash toddlers or babies in a shower cubical is a nightmare, and you would need a baby bath - which would need storing somewhere in this small house...
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    Could always wash the kids in the kitchen sink or the dishwasher
    • Lord Baltimore
    • By Lord Baltimore 8th Dec 17, 5:43 PM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 1,297 Thanks
    Lord Baltimore
    Would you buy a house without a bath??
    Yes. I wouldn't go on a date without first taking a bath though.
    all your base are belong to us
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 9th Dec 17, 7:58 AM
    • 1,015 Posts
    • 3,204 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    just imagining someone washing their baby in the kitchen sink, I suppose it is big enough, but not sure it would appreciate Fairy liquid over baby shampoo
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    This is what used to be done all the time. I remember being washed in the sink at my gran's house in the 1970s and it was not an unusual thing.
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 9th Dec 17, 7:59 AM
    • 1,015 Posts
    • 3,204 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    Another vote for buying a house with no bath. We had a shower over a bath when we moved in and we replaced this with a large walk in shower instead.
    • Ray Singh-Blue
    • By Ray Singh-Blue 9th Dec 17, 8:07 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    Ray Singh-Blue
    No bathee, no buyee
    • Ray Singh-Blue
    • By Ray Singh-Blue 9th Dec 17, 8:11 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    Ray Singh-Blue
    bought a house this year where the bath had been taken out... the main things I miss are being able to bath the dog without having to get in with him, and having a nice long soak with a glass of wine.
    Originally posted by Mrs CP
    Wait.... what?? You used to take long soaks in the bath together with your dog while enjoying a glass of wine???
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 9th Dec 17, 4:15 PM
    • 32,391 Posts
    • 17,394 Thanks
    kingstreet
    We have a bathroom with a bath which hasn't been used in the thirteen years we've lived here. All we've done is cleaned the dust out of it.

All three of us use the shower in the ensuite.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • capital0ne
    • By capital0ne 9th Dec 17, 6:14 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    capital0ne
    Personally we prefer a nice large shower cubicle to a bath with shower over but we're in the minority. For most people with young kids it would would probably be a deal breaker to not have a bath.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    But this is small 2 bed house, aimed at a no kids family
    • capital0ne
    • By capital0ne 9th Dec 17, 6:17 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    capital0ne
    Anyway baths are not entirely nice are they, sitting in a load of filthy water covered in all your bodily excretions, you'd need a shower afterwards! How do you wash and rinse your hair?

Tell you what abandon the bath and have shower instead.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,227Posts Today

5,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin