Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Attila the Bun
    • By Attila the Bun 5th Dec 17, 2:23 PM
    • 206Posts
    • 332Thanks
    Attila the Bun
    ESA rates of pay
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:23 PM
    ESA rates of pay 5th Dec 17 at 2:23 PM
    Good Afternoon everybody. Am after a bit of advice re. ESA rates of pay. Take the following (as yet hypothetical) scenario:

Mr XYZ is currently in the support group for ESA, lives with his partner and carer Ms ABC

Following a WCA he gets put into the work group for ESA

How is this going to affect his income, given that he's currently on income related ESA, which I believe includes a disablity enhancement payment (or something like that)

Would Ms ABC be advised to claim Carers Allowance to compensate for loss of income?

Where can they go for benefits advice? CAB?

Thx.
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 5th Dec 17, 2:49 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:49 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:49 PM
    Good Afternoon everybody. Am after a bit of advice re. ESA rates of pay. Take the following (as yet hypothetical) scenario:

Mr XYZ is currently in the support group for ESA, lives with his partner and carer Ms ABC

Following a WCA he gets put into the work group for ESA

How is this going to affect his income, given that he's currently on income related ESA, which I believe includes a disablity enhancement payment (or something like that)

Would Ms ABC be advised to claim Carers Allowance to compensate for loss of income?

Where can they go for benefits advice? CAB?

Thx.
    Originally posted by Attila the Bun
    WRAG payments depend on when the person first claimed ESA. If it was after April 2017 then there's no extra money and the claimant would be on the same rate as before £73.10 single claim and £114.85 couple rate. If it was before April then you add £29.05 onto the above rates. Back dated money is paid from week 14 of the claim claim started before April 2017.

Enhanced disability premium is only payable on the WRAG if the claimant is recieving Enhanced daily living PIP or high rate care DLA.

Carers Allowance can only be claimed if the person being care for is claiming a qualify benefit. Daily living PIP/ DLA care.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 5th Dec 17, 3:59 PM
    • 10,905 Posts
    • 12,790 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:59 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:59 PM
    WRAG payments depend on when the person first claimed ESA. If it was after April 2017 then there's no extra money and the claimant would be on the same rate as before £73.10 single claim and £114.85 couple rate. If it was before April then you add £29.05 onto the above rates. Back dated money is paid from week 14 of the claim claim started before April 2017.

Enhanced disability premium is only payable on the WRAG if the claimant is recieving Enhanced daily living PIP or high rate care DLA.

Carers Allowance can only be claimed if the person being care for is claiming a qualify benefit. Daily living PIP/ DLA care.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Some of this is correct and some isn't.

The person in question is currently in the Support Group of ESA which is probably why they are getting the Enhanced Disability Premium. (does not have to be for awards of DLA/)PIP

For more information OP it would help if you could tell us whether this is a joint claim and whether the person is receiving DLA/PIP and at which rates.

And yes, CAB would be able to help by doing a benefit check and possibly helping with an appeal to be put back into the Support Group (if this was relevant)
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 5th Dec 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:37 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:37 PM
    Some of this is correct and some isn't.

The person in question is currently in the Support Group of ESA which is probably why they are getting the Enhanced Disability Premium. (does not have to be for awards of DLA/)PIP

For more information OP it would help if you could tell us whether this is a joint claim and whether the person is receiving DLA/PIP and at which rates.

And yes, CAB would be able to help by doing a benefit check and possibly helping with an appeal to be put back into the Support Group (if this was relevant)
    Originally posted by pmlindyloo
    Thanks for that, i missed that part where it said support group.
    • epitome
    • By epitome 5th Dec 17, 9:39 PM
    • 3,027 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    epitome
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:39 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:39 PM
    A)
    If the ESA claim has been claimed from prior to April 2017
    and if the claimant has PIP Daily Enhanced or DLA Care Higher
    Then the difference will be minimal..a loss of about £7.50 per week

B)
    and if the claimant does not have PIP Daily Enhanced or DLA Care Higher...Then the difference will be a loss of about £30 per week.

C)
    If the ESA claim has been claimed after April 2017
    Then the difference is going to be a loss of about £36.60 a week

D)
    and if the claimant does not have PIP Daily Enhanced or DLA Care Higher Then the difference is going to be a loss of about £59 per week.

In all scenarios the partner should claim Carer's Allowance.

If you tell me which one it is, I can tell you if it would be better for CA and Income Support to be claimed, and ESA to be reduced to either ESA C or ESA NI credits
    Last edited by epitome; 05-12-2017 at 9:43 PM.
    • micky2phones
    • By micky2phones 5th Dec 17, 10:31 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    micky2phones
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:31 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:31 PM
    A)
    Then the difference will be minimal..a loss of about £7.50 per week

B)
    and if the claimant does not have PIP Daily Enhanced or DLA Care Higher...Then the difference will be a loss of about £30 per week.

C)
    Then the difference is going to be a loss of about £36.60 a week

D)
    and if the claimant does not have PIP Daily Enhanced or DLA Care Higher Then the difference is going to be a loss of about £59 per week.

In all scenarios the partner should claim Carer's Allowance.

If you tell me which one it is, I can tell you if it would be better for CA and Income Support to be claimed, and ESA to be reduced to either ESA C or ESA NI credits
    Originally posted by epitome
    Great post
    • Attila the Bun
    • By Attila the Bun 6th Dec 17, 10:19 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    Attila the Bun
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:19 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:19 AM
    Thanks folks, very helpful. To answer your points:
    • Mr XYZ has been on ESA for years due to long term mental health condition
    • The claim is in his name, but covers both him and Ms ABC
    • He gets PIP. Think it's the enhanced one (or whatever it's called) but not sure. He gets £77-something a week PIP payments.
    • She has (so far) never claimed Carers Allowance for fear it'll mess up his benefits and they'll lose certain entitlements (eg free prescriptions, dentist)

Btw don't think Income Support exists anymore?
    Last edited by Attila the Bun; 06-12-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    • epitome
    • By epitome 6th Dec 17, 9:05 PM
    • 3,027 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    epitome
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:05 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:05 PM
    Thanks folks, very helpful. To answer your points:
    • Mr XYZ has been on ESA for years due to long term mental health condition
    • The claim is in his name, but covers both him and Ms ABC
    Originally posted by Attila the Bun
    • He gets PIP. Think it's the enhanced one (or whatever it's called) but not sure. He gets £77-something a week PIP payments.
    PIP care enhanced is £83.10 a week, so it sounds like it is standard on mobility and standard on care which would be
    £22 + £55.65 = £77.65
  • She has (so far) never claimed Carers Allowance for fear it'll mess up his benefits and they'll lose certain entitlements (eg free prescriptions, dentist)
She should make the claim, and ask if it can be backdated at all, maybe up to 3 months? They won't lose anything.

Btw don't think Income Support exists anymore?
Yes it does, for carers, lone parents, young people in college, and people who are on Statutory Sick Pay.

Mrs ABC claims Carer's Allowance, when it is awarded, it will be recovered against ESA, but then you have the option to reduce ESA to ESA Conts or ESA NI credits. and MRS ABC makes a claim for Income Support.

Income Support basic rate would be
£114.85
£46.40
Total £161.25

ESA in WRAG will be
£114.85
£29.05
Total £143.90

Income Support is the better option, for now, but, if you appeal the WRAG and win SG

ESA would be
£114.85
£36.60
£22.85
Total £174.30

This beats income Support, but, you would only get arrears paid for any period that ESA IR was in payment, you would get no arrears for a period when income Support was paid.

So you decide what to claim.

Oh and claiming Carers Allowance would increase all the above (overall, i.e. between the both of you) by £34.95 a week
Last edited by epitome; 06-12-2017 at 9:13 PM.
    • Griffo7
    • By Griffo7 7th Dec 17, 12:21 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Griffo7
    • 7th Dec 17, 12:21 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 12:21 AM
    Hi all after some information I applied for esa back in July 2017 and had a letter to say I needed to get some medical evidence to prove this otherwise I would not be paid Iíve sent the medical evidence proving this on the 23rd November2017 along with my monthly doctors note and had a message to say they have received the notes will I be backdated my money when I next get paid on the 11rh December 2017
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 7th Dec 17, 7:24 AM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    poppy12345
    [QUOTE=Griffo7;73525979]Hi all after some information I applied for esa back in July 2017 and had a letter to say I needed to get some medical evidence to prove this otherwise I would not be paid Iíve sent the medical evidence proving this on the 23rd November2017 along with my monthly doctors note and had a message to say they have received the notes will I be backdated my money when I next get paid on the 11rh December 2017[/QUOTE]
    Did your money stop because you didn't send in the fit/sick note on time? If so then as long as your fit note was dated correctly then yes you'll be paid what they owe you.
    • epitome
    • By epitome 7th Dec 17, 9:58 AM
    • 3,027 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    epitome
    Hi all after some information I applied for esa back in July 2017 and had a letter to say I needed to get some medical evidence to prove this otherwise I would not be paid I’ve sent the medical evidence proving this on the 23rd November2017 along with my monthly doctors note and had a message to say they have received the notes will I be backdated my money when I next get paid on the 11rh December 2017
    Originally posted by Griffo7
    Apart from the 3 day delay, what is your question?

If you have enough to live on wait and see what you get on Monday.

If you don't, phone and ask for it to be stopped and re-issued as a faster payment. This would have to be done today.

If you have already been paid for example £146.20 on 27/11/17 then no point phoning because they will not fast pay your arrears.
    Last edited by epitome; 07-12-2017 at 10:03 AM.
    • Attila the Bun
    • By Attila the Bun 7th Dec 17, 12:01 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    Attila the Bun
    Thanks for taking the time to make that very detailed reply, epitome
  • Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,227Posts Today

5,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
    • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin