Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 4th Dec 17, 4:51 PM
    • 651Posts
    • 340Thanks
    RG2015
    Nationwide FlexDirect Account
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:51 PM
    Nationwide FlexDirect Account 4th Dec 17 at 4:51 PM
    My Nationwide FlexDirect Current Account is about to reach its 1 year anniversary and the interest rate will fall from 5% to 1%. My 5% Regular Saver will also be maturing and I will be opening a new one so I need to keep the current account open.

The terms state that I need to pay in £1,000 per month to receive the 1% on up to £2,500 but there are better rates available elsewhere so I intend to reduce this to £250 to fund the RS.

If I just transfer in £250 per month for the RS and leave a balance of £1.00 will this satisfy Nationwide's requirements for both the current account and the RS eligibility criteria?
Page 2
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 7th Dec 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,422 Posts
    • 3,029 Thanks
    ceredigion
    Yes I was looking at the actual T&C as stated in my post.

Whether its worth it or not is up to the individual who could decide not to pay in £750 a month after qualification and still have the regular saver for 12m.

Same as switching qualifies without any further need to switch every month.
    Originally posted by Yorkshire Pud

My interpretation of the T&C's is, To remain eligible to hold the account you need to have paid in at least £750 per month for the proceeding three months
    • cairndog
    • By cairndog 8th Dec 17, 9:56 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    cairndog
    FlexDirect Account
    That'll be fine, subject to the Regular Savings funding precautions mentioned above. Only the FlexAccount requires the account's minimum pay in requirement to be satisfied in order to retain the Regular Saver. For the FlexDirect you only need to pay in £1,000 per month if you want to receive the 1% interest on £1 in your case.

I'm currently reusing my 1% FlexDirect for a temporary holding pot in one of the MSE savings challenges, so it has no balance some of the time.
    Originally posted by Kim_13
    Hi Kim
    I need to get out of my FlexDirect account as I can no longer pay in the £1000 per month and I've been in it a year so the rate will drop anyway.
    Can I just go back to an ordinary Flexaccount and still have online banking with a cardreader ?
    I don't need any perks but just want to be able to see when I make a payment to someone.
    I have a fair amount in the FlexDirect to move over at present.

Hope you can clarify ,( I'm not interested in their savings account)
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 8th Dec 17, 10:41 AM
    • 23,688 Posts
    • 13,809 Thanks
    xylophone
    You only need to pay in the £1000 a month to get interest on the account.

You can keep the account and forgo any interest.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 8th Dec 17, 12:06 PM
    • 5,596 Posts
    • 4,908 Thanks
    badger09
    Hi Kim
    I need to get out of my FlexDirect account as I can no longer pay in the £1000 per month and I've been in it a year so the rate will drop anyway.
    Can I just go back to an ordinary Flexaccount and still have online banking with a cardreader ?
    I don't need any perks but just want to be able to see when I make a payment to someone.

Originally posted by cairndog
    You only need to pay in the £1000 a month to get interest on the account.

You can keep the account and forgo any interest.
    Originally posted by xylophone
    And keeping the Flexdirect also retains access to Nationwide's 5% Regular Saver.

Obviously you'd need to pay in £250 (or whatever is going into the RS) each month
    I'm a supporter of dunstonh
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 8th Dec 17, 1:44 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 1,761 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Hi Kim

Originally posted by cairndog
    In this case you should keep the FlexDirect open, as it means that you don't need to meet a minimum pay on to retain the Regular Saver. If you downgraded to the FlexAccount, you'd need to pay in £750 per month to retain the saver.

You should pay into your saver manually if your FlexDirect balance is less than the amount you want to move into the saver. If not, you risk the standing order to the saver processing before the standing order into the FlexDirect, resulting in a failed payment or being temporarily overdrawn.

You can cycle existing money between current accounts to meet pay in requirements if you wish, for instance to get 3% interest on £1,500 at TSB.

If you'd rather step away from using current accounts for interest, you should have a look at this article for a new home for your funds: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest

Regular Savers with Santander, HSBC, First Direct, Lloyds, BOS and Halifax pay 2.5% or more if you have the requisite current accounts.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £220.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • badger09
    • By badger09 8th Dec 17, 2:59 PM
    • 5,596 Posts
    • 4,908 Thanks
    badger09
    In this case you should keep the FlexDirect open, as it means that you don't need to meet a minimum pay on to retain the Regular Saver. If you downgraded to the FlexAccount, you'd need to pay in £750 per month to retain the saver.

You should pay into your saver manually if your FlexDirect balance is less than the amount you want to move into the saver. If not, you risk the standing order to the saver processing before the standing order into the FlexDirect, resulting in a failed payment or being temporarily overdrawn.

You can cycle existing money between current accounts to meet pay in requirements if you wish, for instance to get 3% interest on £1,500 at TSB.

If you'd rather step away from using current accounts for interest, you should have a look at this article for a new home for your funds: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest

Regular Savers with Santander, HSBC, First Direct, Lloyds, BOS and Halifax pay 2.5% or more if you have the requisite current accounts.
    Originally posted by Kim_13
    Not necessarily.

An alternative method is to set the SO going into the current account, say 4 days in advance of the one to the RS, thus avoiding that potential problem.
    I'm a supporter of dunstonh
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,193Posts Today

7,272Users online

Martin's Twitter