Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MissMarble
    • By MissMarble 22nd Nov 17, 10:45 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 37Thanks
    MissMarble
    Best places to buy in Manchester for a first-timer (that isn't Didsbury)
    • 22nd Nov 17, 10:45 AM
    Best places to buy in Manchester for a first-timer (that isn't Didsbury) 22nd Nov 17 at 10:45 AM
    Hi everyone,

My partner and I are looking to (hopefully) buy our first home at some point in the not too distant future in Manchester. I wondered if there are any Manchester-based forum dwellers who could shed some light on good places to check out for buying in as first timers?

We've looked at 5 properties so far - in Urmston, Preswich, Heaton Norris and in central Stockport. Out of those, the areas we liked the most were Urmston and Preswich as they had a nice community, things on our doorstep and good houses. Since last looking in Urmston, I've noticed house prices are rapidly increasing which is a little concerning for first time buyers!

Having lived in Rusholme for the past 6 years, we are ready to move away from this area. We are keen on having a house with a bit of character, in a good/up and coming location with amenities around us i.e. cafes and shops as well as being easily commutable (or as best can be) into Manchester city centre. Where we currently live, it's not in the nicest of areas and so I feel location is pulling on our heart strings - but we would like somewhere we can put our own stamp on things and hopefully make a bit of a profit too.

Our budget is around £220,000 - £250,000 (absolute max) and I know this can buy us a bit more in areas slightly out of the hot spot perimeters and very little within them! We'd be looking at 2 - 3 bedrooms or 2 beds with room for a loft conversion (for my boyfriend's office/man cave).

We are also looking at areas such as Monton - also Walkden (although I've heard conflicting views on this location), but if anyone has any specific areas where they feel would be worth exploring or even avoiding, I'd be keen to hear.

As an avid-viewer of Location, Location, Location I also feel I may need to pull in Phil & Kirsty for their help too!

But for now, thank you in advance!
Page 2
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 22nd Nov 17, 8:40 PM
    • 2,031 Posts
    • 5,546 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Thanks for your reply - I haven't looked at those areas but will have a search! We work in the city centre (NQ and along Oxford Road) and today when we went to view the property above, we left work at 4.30 for the viewing at 5.45 and it said we'd reach it at 6.20! So think we've learnt a lesson about the commute! I think we'd be happy with a tram line and buses though or even the trains - just a matter of how much it would all cost!

There's just so much to think about and it can be so overwhelming!
    Originally posted by MissMarble
    I don't think I'd recommend Worsley/Swinton/Walkden for your commute to be honest. The morning traffic starts at 7am and is solid until about 9.30 going into town. Same in the evening from about 4pm to well after 6. There are buses, but they get full and they aren't as quick as a tram or train. If I had to commute for a 9-5 I'd move I reckon!

Have you considered buying in the centre of town so that you can walk to work or do you want a garden/house/schools etc?
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 22nd Nov 17, 8:51 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    amateur house
    Chorlton is nice, but not cheap and quite busy. I lived there for 20 years so am biased. I know people living in Urmston and Monton, and both those areas are meant to be nice and have lots of amenities. Some areas of Salford have improved a lot in recent years, a colleague bought there recently, not sure where exactly, but fairly close to the University. The traffic crawls into town along that route so it's not great if you work on Oxford Rd.
    • Lauralou79
    • By Lauralou79 22nd Nov 17, 9:31 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    Lauralou79
    I live in south Swinton, not far from the moorside bus stop for the guideway bus route (8 min walk) I got a bus to manchester at 7:45 and was on oxford road at ten past thanks to the bus lanes. Yes the bus was very busy but they were coming every 4 mins! Coming home was longer but it was a Friday and people finished earlier. Tho I tend to use the bus for leisure into manchester and it’s usually 20
    mins tops each way out of busy periods ( Christmas is messing with that tho!) Also a train at moorside too.

I kind of disagree with south Swinton not having local amenities. I come from a busy town and find it much quieter but with things within walking distance or a short car trip.

For example we can walk into worsley 3/4 pubs/Chinese) in 14-20 mins and have a walk in the woods/canal. Or same for Monton village via the golf club or side streets. Where there are loads of small bars/cafes and pubs. So near enough for me for a social life but away from the noise when relaxing at home.

Locally we have a small pub and a small local shop. Big supermarkets 5 mins drive away.

I have friends close to Walkden Road it is very busy but close to the train. Go view it and while in the area go visit ellenbrook, south Swinton/ and estates in your budget off worsley road and Monton and the surrounding areas . To see if they are areas you like as location tends to be quite personal to your needs/wants.
    • Help1234
    • By Help1234 23rd Nov 17, 12:13 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Help1234
    Altrincham
    Hale
    Sale
    Worsley
    Chorlton
    Wilmslow
    Alderley Edge
    Knutsford
    Cheadle Hulme
    Dunham Massay
    Timperley

NO TO SALFORD
    • Help1234
    • By Help1234 23rd Nov 17, 12:19 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Help1234
    I work in Oxford Road and live near Alderley Edge. You can get the train in 15mins from Wilmslow. There are loads of train stations in Cheshire and it’s so much more stress-free and Manchester traffic is horrendous. Altrincham would be next best thing so many amazing local amenities and the market. It has the tram as well
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 23rd Nov 17, 8:26 AM
    • 1,552 Posts
    • 2,013 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    Altrincham and Sale are nice, but you get much less for your money.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 23rd Nov 17, 8:30 AM
    • 2,031 Posts
    • 5,546 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I work in Oxford Road and live near Alderley Edge. You can get the train in 15mins from Wilmslow. There are loads of train stations in Cheshire and itís so much more stress-free and Manchester traffic is horrendous. Altrincham would be next best thing so many amazing local amenities and the market. It has the tram as well
    Originally posted by Help1234
    And of course, all those areas are totally affordable for your average first time buyer!
    • Help1234
    • By Help1234 23rd Nov 17, 3:49 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Help1234
    And of course, all those areas are totally affordable for your average first time buyer!
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel

They are perceived as "unaffordable" for a reason - because they are fantastic areas to live and are in high demand. You might get less for your money but the quality of life would be much higher than if you moved to a hell hole like Stockport or Salford. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!! Plus the houses are more likely to increase over time in those areas. My parents live in an affluent area in Nottingham. They bought their house in 1996 for £77,000. Now it's worth over £300,000. A similar property in a worse area around 15mins away my friend bought sold in 1996 for £45,000. It's sold last year for £86,000.

This is what the OP could get for their money in the most desirable areas of the Northwest!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68977592.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59890735.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49973073.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49997625.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61663255.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50157858.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-70004324.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62615488.html
    Last edited by Help1234; 23-11-2017 at 3:52 PM.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 23rd Nov 17, 4:03 PM
    • 2,031 Posts
    • 5,546 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    A Hellhole like Monton?
    • Help1234
    • By Help1234 23rd Nov 17, 4:28 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Help1234
    A Hellhole like Monton?
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    I listed Worsley as somewhere nice in my original post.
    • alchemist.1
    • By alchemist.1 23rd Nov 17, 7:56 PM
    • 856 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    alchemist.1
    Don't forget that next to Urmston there are sewage works which have caused issues in summer with the smell.

You need to provide a likely budget and whether you are looking to buy a house /flat etc.

Prestwich is getting better and better.

I also suggest Cheadle Village and Cheadle Hulme in addition to what has been listed.

Avoid Fallowfield/most parts of Withington unless you want to be surrounded by Students (which might sound okay now but in a few years might not be).
    • MissMarble
    • By MissMarble 23rd Nov 17, 8:15 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    MissMarble
    Don't forget that next to Urmston there are sewage works which have caused issues in summer with the smell.

You need to provide a likely budget and whether you are looking to buy a house /flat etc.

Prestwich is getting better and better.

I also suggest Cheadle Village and Cheadle Hulme in addition to what has been listed.

Avoid Fallowfield/most parts of Withington unless you want to be surrounded by Students (which might sound okay now but in a few years might not be).
    Originally posted by alchemist.1
    I've heard about the sewage works - is there a sewage plant around the area? Just thinking so I can look on google maps! We liked Prestwich and how there was Heaton Park nearby plus all the amenities and nice community. We've also driven through Cheadle Village which looked lovely so hopefully more properties will spring up there too.

Ideally, we'd be looking at a Victorian terrace of 1920/30s houses. We live in a modern flat (built around 10-15 years ago) on the Fallowfield/Rusholme border and it's really turned us off the modern housing. Even though we may get more space, I feel it's just a bit characterless and even with putting our own stamp on things I feel it would remind me too much of where we currently live.

I believe we could probably go up to £250K maximum and now with the stamp to buy news, hopefully we'd be in a good position.

Wherever we end up, I'm hoping it isn't in a student area! There are quite a lot of students which have recently moved into our block of flats which is something I thought I said goodbye to 6 years ago - clearly not! Thanks for your reply.
    • haf1
    • By haf1 23rd Nov 17, 8:53 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    haf1
    I would live near here. http://www.littleboroughlocal.co.uk/ It is a little village. There is a train station with a service that goes from Manchester to Leeds and stops here. So you can get to Manchester and Leeds. There are a few restaurants the village is only small. A canal which has canal boats on it from time to time. It is right on the edge of the countryside. Close by is a large lake called Hollingworth Lake. It is becoming more popular/ getting more expensive.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    I second that, and taking the train into Manchester. Currently not very practical for Oxford Road, but that might get better soon now the Ordsall Chord is open. Littleborough is lovely and free use of trams in Manchester City Centre is included with the train ticket.
    • bubblerawk
    • By bubblerawk 23rd Nov 17, 9:54 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    bubblerawk
    Im bias but Rochdale, there are some lovely villages around, obv some areas are better than others. Great links to Manchester, buses, trains, tram and close to other towns too. Id move back tomorrow if i could.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 23rd Nov 17, 10:04 PM
    • 2,031 Posts
    • 5,546 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I listed Worsley as somewhere nice in my original post.
    Originally posted by Help1234
    Monton isn't in Worsley. Worsley and Monton are both in Salford.

I get the feeling you don't really know these areas, get out of Cheshire from time to time, you might be pleasantly surprised!

Littleborough is nice, it does flood though and some houses are uninsurable for it, check the Environment Agency flood maps for anywhere you're interested in.
    • alchemist.1
    • By alchemist.1 23rd Nov 17, 10:59 PM
    • 856 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    alchemist.1
    I've heard about the sewage works - is there a sewage plant around the area? Just thinking so I can look on google maps! We liked Prestwich and how there was Heaton Park nearby plus all the amenities and nice community. We've also driven through Cheadle Village which looked lovely so hopefully more properties will spring up there too.

Ideally, we'd be looking at a Victorian terrace of 1920/30s houses. We live in a modern flat (built around 10-15 years ago) on the Fallowfield/Rusholme border and it's really turned us off the modern housing. Even though we may get more space, I feel it's just a bit characterless and even with putting our own stamp on things I feel it would remind me too much of where we currently live.

I believe we could probably go up to £250K maximum and now with the stamp to buy news, hopefully we'd be in a good position.

Wherever we end up, I'm hoping it isn't in a student area! There are quite a lot of students which have recently moved into our block of flats which is something I thought I said goodbye to 6 years ago - clearly not! Thanks for your reply.
    Originally posted by MissMarble
    The sewage works is right next to Urmston. Might be worth a visit during summer months if you are going to wait around that long?

Prestwich is nice and you should get what you're looking for around there. Just watch out for neighbouring areas though (especially travelling towards city centre which arent as nice and sometimes described as Prestwich).

Definitely have a look at Cheadle Village.

Doesnt have a tram but has everything else i.e schools, green spaces etc. One of those places which will probably be getting all the independent shops etc soon enough.
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 24th Nov 17, 2:42 PM
    • 1,552 Posts
    • 2,013 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    Yes, when it comes to Prestwich I'd stay above scholes lane (i.e between the M60 and scholes lane) and with Urmston, the sewage works is behind the retail park that the McDonalds is on near the motorway but the small travels as far as Bedford road on a bad day in the summer. On a really really bad day (after lots of heat) it can be smelt s far as Monton though though so it's hard to avoid if its really really bad!

I know the areas really well so if you wanted advice on particular properties just ask.
    • elliemet23
    • By elliemet23 27th Nov 17, 10:56 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    elliemet23
    Have you looked at Heald Green? Very close to train stations/the airport and also great village feel.
    My sister moved to Heald Green 5 years ago, is moving again soon but staying within the area. Great schools around there and close enough to the big Sainsbury's and John Lewis. Prices are a little higher as you are in the SK9 area but still not bad!
    • MissMarble
    • By MissMarble 7th Dec 17, 8:35 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    MissMarble
    Hi everyone,

Sorry for such a late reply. Thank you all so much for your help and suggestions - I feel like I've definitely learnt a lot and will make some time early next year to start exploring those areas we are quite unfamiliar with.

Initial thoughts are Prestwich seems to be a place to focus heavily on, but we will also look at the other places mentioned! I'm also thinking it would be worth getting a map of Manchester and highlighting our favourite, potential favourites and areas to avoid just so it helps us get our heads around things - we may even be able to predict the next up and coming parts!

Thank you once again
    • phoebeannel
    • By phoebeannel 7th Dec 17, 10:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    phoebeannel
    Hi, i just wanted to share my experience!

I was born and raised in Urmston, and my partner and I rent here now-it has changed massively, the restaurants and bars are great & has an artisan market. As a teenager I referred to here as as Manchester's dullest suburb! I can personally attest to the very good local schools. However I would say that the train connection to the city centre is not reliable-my partner who uses it has flexi-time to account for the fact that it is constantly late and cancelled, especially in the winter months. The M60 here also goes to pot at Christmas and you have to queue for an hour to get off at Junction 9 or 10 because of the Trafford Centre. And in summer the whole place reeks of sewage. The only real pull for us to stay was our parents both living here.

We began our house hunt in August with a budget of £200k. One rightmove search will tell you that gets you a 1 bed here now! We decided we wanted to move area and scouted other places.

We quickly ruled out Salford. I have lived in less desirable areas before in Manchester and Leeds, so it wasn't that I'm mega fussy in that regard. There was a house very near Monton that we went to see and all the houses had union jacks hanging out the window and people sitting in the street drinking in the middle of the day. It's ok when you're younger but not when you're buying. We also thought about Chimney pot Park but there isn't much in the way of nice bars or restaurants near there to wander to on an evening, you'd have to go to town.

I booked a viewing in Prestwich and we knew that was it straight away. It was a Thursday evening and all the bars and restaurants were packed out, it had such a great vibe. We had so much choice for our money too. When viewing properties it was all young professionals and when speaking to neighbours they said it was a great community, lots to do etc. We are now waiting to exchange on our house- a 3 bed semi under £180k! Prices are rising rapidly there though, in line with Urmston but obviously still cheaper. We got such a good price as it requires work but the terraces that are nicely done go in 48 hours flat with multiple offers. No one property hung around for long (unless there was something seriously wrong with it).

So there you go! Come be my neighbour!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,227Posts Today

5,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin