Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NoNoDrama
    • By NoNoDrama 5th Nov 17, 7:08 PM
    • 205Posts
    • 59Thanks
    NoNoDrama
    Will We Be Entitled Too Any Benefits?
    • 5th Nov 17, 7:08 PM
    Will We Be Entitled Too Any Benefits? 5th Nov 17 at 7:08 PM
    Other half pregnant my salary 23k , her 25 total £48k.

Childcare costs look to be at least £900 a month

Would we be entitled to anything towards childcare?

Also when she is on SMP (employer only pays that £140 per week after 6 weeks) This will reduce our combined salary too approx 30k? Are we are too claim for anything then? (obviously childcare costs not required during this period).

If we are renting at 650 PCM, what is the most cost effective way to survive with childcare costs etc? Both of us working full time maybe? I see plenty of females at work who only work 20 hours when they've just had children, why is this?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 6th Nov 17, 6:30 AM
    • 4,725 Posts
    • 2,987 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 6th Nov 17, 6:30 AM
    • 6th Nov 17, 6:30 AM
    Your household income would be too high for any benefits except child benefit.

You should look into childcare vouchers or tax free childcare for help with costs.

I work 24hrs and my husband works full time and have a 19month old. I do it because I can (sorry not really sure what you mean by why?). We receive child benefit and have childcare vouchers from work that cover the majority of our childcare. We also found that childminders are far cheaper than nursery and prefer the more 1-2-1 care he gets there.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 6th Nov 17, 8:52 AM
    • 742 Posts
    • 1,491 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 6th Nov 17, 8:52 AM
    • 6th Nov 17, 8:52 AM
    Like all things in life op, the decision to work a certain number of hours is a personal one and I would assume that it works for their family.

I was in the very fortunate position of not working at all until my children went to school. That was almost 30 years ago and quite common then. We went without things that would be considered essentials now, but it worked for us and many others.

My daughter is also a stay at home mother because they can afford it and she didn't have a career that she needed to keep going.

Others work full time, part time or not at all. What others do is for them to decide. Do what works for you and your partner.

Are you assuming that going back to work full time is the only option?

Edit - This is the girlfriend who you don't trust?
    Last edited by seashore22; 06-11-2017 at 8:55 AM.
    • NoNoDrama
    • By NoNoDrama 6th Nov 17, 7:06 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    NoNoDrama
    • 6th Nov 17, 7:06 PM
    • 6th Nov 17, 7:06 PM
    Your household income would be too high for any benefits except child benefit.
    Originally posted by Darksparkle
    Except child benefit? So we would get child benefit? How much would that be?
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 6th Nov 17, 7:14 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 5,592 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 6th Nov 17, 7:14 PM
    • 6th Nov 17, 7:14 PM
    Originally posted by NoNoDrama
    £20.70 per week for your first child. £13.70 a week for any further children.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 6th Nov 17, 7:15 PM
    • 1,939 Posts
    • 2,458 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 6th Nov 17, 7:15 PM
    • 6th Nov 17, 7:15 PM
    Looks like it's £20.70 per week for the first child.
    • NoNoDrama
    • By NoNoDrama 6th Nov 17, 7:31 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    NoNoDrama
    • 6th Nov 17, 7:31 PM
    • 6th Nov 17, 7:31 PM
    Thanks

What about help to childcare do we get something for that as well?

Also if the mother was single and on 25k the tax credits calculator says she would get:-

Child Tax Credit

You could get

£213.95 every four weeks
    towards your household costs

Working Tax Credit

You could get

£273.17 every four weeks

I understand CSA doesn't affect benefits is this right?

So she could potentially get:-

£25,000 Salary
    £213 per month Child Tax Credit
    £273 per month Working Tax Credit
    £20.70 Per week child benefit
    + Whatever my CSA payment would be??

This seems like a lot (which is a good thing obviously!)
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 6th Nov 17, 7:51 PM
    • 4,198 Posts
    • 6,921 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 6th Nov 17, 7:51 PM
    • 6th Nov 17, 7:51 PM
    Thanks

Also if the mother was single and on 25k the tax credits calculator says she would get:-

Child Tax Credit

You could get

£213.95 every four weeks

Working Tax Credit

You could get

£273.17 every four weeks

£25,000 Salary

But she isn't single, is she? You aren't suggesting fraudulently claiming she is single, are you?
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 6th Nov 17, 8:20 PM
    • 4,725 Posts
    • 2,987 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 6th Nov 17, 8:20 PM
    • 6th Nov 17, 8:20 PM
    Thanks

Child Tax Credit

You could get

£213.95 every four weeks

Working Tax Credit

You could get

£273.17 every four weeks

£25,000 Salary

As I said, look into childcare vouchers or tax free childcare for help.

Are you planning to leave your pregnant partner?
    • NoNoDrama
    • By NoNoDrama 6th Nov 17, 9:14 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    NoNoDrama
    That would be a "yes" then? If toy think the benefits people are that stupid, you should read a few more threads. You'll get caught. If not now, at some time. And then you may both have criminal records. Fantastic role model for the child...
    Originally posted by sangie595
    You are looking for something (and baiting) that isn't there. Us not living together/being married I would assume she was classed as single. Give me a scenario when it's not. And yes, I'll wait. I don't really see any scenario the benefits office would not deem you as single if you are paying rent/council tax individually at separate addresses!

We both have decent enough jobs so why would we scam? I've never lived with a partner before so want to know in case it didn't work out that she'd be financially sound and that my child would be too.

Sounds like you've had a rough day to suggest something like that
    Last edited by NoNoDrama; 06-11-2017 at 9:27 PM.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 6th Nov 17, 10:27 PM
    • 3,133 Posts
    • 7,318 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    You are looking for something (and baiting) that isn't there. Us not living together/being married I would assume she was classed as single. Give me a scenario when it's not. And yes, I'll wait. I don't really see any scenario the benefits office would not deem you as single if you are paying rent/council tax individually at separate addresses!

We both have decent enough jobs so why would we scam? I've never lived with a partner before so want to know in case it didn't work out that she'd be financially sound and that my child would be too.

Sounds like you've had a rough day to suggest something like that
    Sorry but the whole tone of your questioning suggests that sangie is close to the mark.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • NoNoDrama
    • By NoNoDrama 6th Nov 17, 10:39 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    NoNoDrama
    LOL really? When none of us would be claiming HB or council tax because we are working people on semi-decent salaries? Where is the scam here. Please enlighten me.

So with this in mind, how would myself or my partner be gaining any unfair advantage in anyway whatsoever?

Good luck with those debts btw
    Last edited by NoNoDrama; 06-11-2017 at 10:48 PM.
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 6th Nov 17, 10:50 PM
    • 1,504 Posts
    • 901 Thanks
    Sncjw
    Based on 48k pre tax with child care and rent you still have 2k left over!

On 30k you have 900 quid left over. What would you be spending 900/2k a month on minus the household bills. I think if she went Back to work and you had 2k left over after rent and childcare and struggling you need to change your lifestyle
    • NoNoDrama
    • By NoNoDrama 6th Nov 17, 11:25 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    NoNoDrama
    Based on 48k pre tax with child care and rent you still have 2k left over!

On 30k you have 900 quid left over. What would you be spending 900/2k a month on minus the household bills. I think if she went Back to work and you had 2k left over after rent and childcare and struggling you need to change your lifestyle
    Originally posted by Sncjw
    I know, you aren't the first person to say this, but I am a natural worrier. What if this, what if that arrrggghhh but i thank you for a reassuring post.
    Last edited by NoNoDrama; 06-11-2017 at 11:53 PM.
    • Unimaginativeusername
    • By Unimaginativeusername 7th Nov 17, 7:17 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Unimaginativeusername
    Hope not. I’ll say the same thing to you as I say to anyone else. If you can’t afford to raise children then don’t have them, why should the taxpayer have to fund your lifestyle choices?
    • batg
    • By batg 7th Nov 17, 12:13 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    batg
    bound to go down like a lead balloon
    but
    I think it's ridiculous that 2 people on nigh on fifty thousand would even need help with childcare for their own child.
    what a world we live in when instead of making sacrifices to our lifestyle we instantly think others should pay out
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 7th Nov 17, 12:45 PM
    • 3,133 Posts
    • 7,318 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    LOL really? When none of us would be claiming HB or council tax because we are working people on semi-decent salaries? Where is the scam here. Please enlighten me.

So with this in mind, how would myself or my partner be gaining any unfair advantage in anyway whatsoever?

Good luck with those debts btw

So why worry about what she'd be entitled to if you split up?

Or are you looking at the figures to see how best to play the system?

As for my debts, well I'm proud to say I've dealt with the big ones, paying back every penny I owed. Now it's the few last remaining ones which are tiny in comparison as to what I've cleared. So no need for your luck thanks all the same
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 7th Dec 17, 12:56 PM
    • 5,149 Posts
    • 7,148 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    (
    But you'd have to run two addresses if you did that. Double the rent, for a start.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 7th Dec 17, 1:30 PM
    • 23,682 Posts
    • 13,807 Thanks
    xylophone
    I've never lived with a partner before so want to know in case it didn't work out that she'd be financially sound and that my child would be too.
    Presumably you would be paying generous child maintenance so wouldn't need to worry.....
    • tboo
    • By tboo 7th Dec 17, 2:03 PM
    • 515 Posts
    • 1,565 Thanks
    tboo
    Other half pregnant my salary 23k , her 25 total £48k.

Childcare costs look to be at least £900 a month

Would we be entitled to anything towards childcare?

Also when she is on SMP (employer only pays that £140 per week after 6 weeks) This will reduce our combined salary too approx 30k? Are we are too claim for anything then? (obviously childcare costs not required during this period).

If we are renting at 650 PCM, what is the most cost effective way to survive with childcare costs etc? Both of us working full time maybe? I see plenty of females at work who only work 20 hours when they've just had children, why is this?

Thanks
    Thanks

Child Tax Credit

You could get

£213.95 every four weeks

Working Tax Credit

You could get

£273.17 every four weeks

£25,000 Salary

So you're together at the moment as it's "we" "our" etc.

Then the answers ween't what you were hoping for so it's what will "she" get "if " she was single.

If she was single then why ask and obtain posible tax credit entitlement? It would be of no concern to you what she would receive. You just pay child maintenance and obtain a DNA if she isn't trustworthy going on previous posts

----------------------------------------------------------
    “Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.”
    ----------------------------------------------
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

384Posts Today

2,932Users online

Martin's Twitter