Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Tony
    • By MSE Tony 29th Jun 12, 4:51 PM
    • 64Posts
    • 14Thanks
    MSE Tony
    HolidaySafe Travel Insurance - Your Feedback
    • 29th Jun 12, 4:51 PM
    HolidaySafe Travel Insurance - Your Feedback 29th Jun 12 at 4:51 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for visiting.

We have recently added the HolidaySafe Premier travel policy to our New Travel Insurance guide.

As this insurer is a new option - offering good cover levels - your feedback is important to us.

Please let us know what you think.

Have you used or contacted them, made a claim, is it is missing anything or just general feedback on the insurer.

Hit 'Reply' to discuss or ask a question.

Thanks.

MSE Tony

If you spot a rate change that we haven't already mentioned or added into articles or tips, Please send me a PM about it

Get Martin's Free Money Saving Tips E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips
    Last edited by MSE Tony; 04-07-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Page 2
  • old woman
    get things in writing
    I phoned to check whether my son was insured to travel independently from his parents if i took out the annual family policy. I was told he was so long as he was accompanied by an adult so I bought the policy. When I e mailed customer service to get written confirmation of this I was told this was not the case. My son would only be covered if he traveled with an adult named on the policy. they cancelled the policy without a problem though I was on hold for almost 10 mins. They are a very good price and they do provide a good level of cover but double check everything.
    • Binkx
    • By Binkx 19th Jun 13, 8:28 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Binkx
    Customer service - hah
    Phoned (Fri 14/06/13) and got a quote and ask for it to be emailed to me. Got home and checked the quote, went to phone Holidaysafe back and noticed it stated that if you get the quote online you get 15% extra discount. Tried this, and it was the same price. Went on to the chat program and the customer service (CS) advisor said the discount is taken of when you start your quote. I told him they were the same price....after a wait, he came back with "we are running a 15% discount on the phone as well." I said that that answer was not good enough, as it states on the web site that you get and extra 15% online compared to CS phone quotes(it actually states this). I asked to speak to a supervisor and guess what, I am still waiting (Thur 19/06/13 @20:30hrs). Oh and by the way Amber you are never in work according to the CS staff ( I asked to speak to you on 2 occasions), oh and the supervisors are always busy and can't speak to customers with a problem. The CS advisor tried to make up the full price I should have paid and he got his percentages wrong, so what was full price or was the price I was quoted the full price. I have screen grabs for everything and I copied the chat transcript as I was talking to the CS advisor (good job I did, because at the end of the chat, I asked for the transcript and I never received it.) Rant over for now

Unhappy Customer

Kieran

I have just received a call from Holidaysafe and they have honoured the extra 15% discount compared to the CS phone quote.

Much Happier Customer

Kieran
    Last edited by Binkx; 24-06-2013 at 3:42 PM. Reason: All sorted
  • JulianW
    HolidaySafe
    Just tried to get a quote from www.holidaysafe.co.uk but their web site is down

Either that or it has a real hate for Chrome!
    • axelariat
    • By axelariat 24th Jun 13, 5:02 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    axelariat
    Fair play to Amber Howard, you lot are keeping her busy!
  • marchmont
    Personal property wear and tear parameters
    Claims on Holiday Safe insurance are administered by "travel claims facilities" tif-plc.co.uk
    Wear and tear is considered when assessing the claim value of personal property. Items "quickly' reach 100% depreciation so an insurance claim can result in essentially no cover. (eg the lens on my five year old glasses broke and "spectacles" over four years old are considered to have 100% depreciation by "travel claims facilities".)
    Details of the depreciation rates are listed at
    tif-plc.co.uk/wearandtear
  • Holidaysafe Representative
    Hi Marchmont, thanks for your post, my name is Amber Howard and I am the Brand Manager for Holidaysafe. I just wanted to take this opportunity to clarify some of your concerns.

All travel insurance policies settle claims for personal possessions on an indemnity basis, in other words all losses are adjusted for wear and tear. Travel insurance, unlike household insurance, does not settle claims on a new for old basis.

We make this clear in our policy wordings and on our website – in fact as you rightly point out, customers can view the ‘wear and tear’ scale via the link you have quoted.

With regards to spectacles in particular, we have a clear limit for ‘eyewear’ and because people undergo regular eye checks, replacement spectacles are never of the same prescription, especially after 5years, and invariably cost more to replace because they require new lenses and (possibly) new frames.

All travel insurance providers strongly recommend that customers insure their valuable items all year round through their home contents insurance, where they will get ‘new for old’ cover.

Kind regards, Amber Howard.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Holidaysafe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • bigbandbossa
    • By bigbandbossa 7th Aug 13, 2:31 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bigbandbossa
    Holidaysafe doesn't pay out if FCO specifically advise against travel
    Very disappointed with this travel insurance policy. We purchased the HS Premier Annual multi trip policy to cover a 10 day trip to Egypt flying into Cairo airport, scheduled to depart yesterday 6th August. We cancelled the holiday approx 40 days ago due to the advice of the FCO website advising all but essential travel to the area. By cancelling at this point we had a 50% refund from the tour operator, Virgin. Cancelling a few days later would have reduced that to 30%.

We submitted a claim to HolidaySafe and have been refused due to policy wording, ie:-

“Cover is only provided if… cancellation is not because of the failure of your travel agent, tour operator, or due to the advice of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office”

Personally I would have thought government advice not to travel would be a reasonable ground for even a budget policy to pay out.

Perversely, the policy also states – “You are not covered under any section, unless specified.. (if).. You travelling against the advice or recommendations published by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office applicable at the time of your departure”.

So the policy is worthless if I go, and worthless if I don’t go. Premier? Really?
    Hi Bigbandbossa, my name is Amber Howard and I am the Brand Manager for Holidaysafe. I came across your post, and just wanted to clarify some of your points in regards to our policy on FCO advice.

Firstly I would to apologise that you feel dissatisfied with the outcome of your claim - obviously every claim is handled individually by our claims department, and I do not know the specific details of your case. However, I think it is important to note that most standard travel insurance policies will not automatically cover cancellation due to a change in FCO advice. You will usually have to purchase a more comprehensive policy to get this kind of cover, and Holidaysafe does actually offer cover for changes in FCO advice under our Premier Platinum policies.

This is the case because Tour Operators will usually cover these kinds of costs. Tour operators monitor FCO advice constantly, and if the FCO advised against all travel to your chosen destination close to your departure date, they would usually refund the costs of cancelling your trip or offer an alternative arrangement. However, because FCO advice is updated daily, tour operators will not cancel a trip for this reason too far in advance, as the advice could change again in a very short space of time.

Further to your comments below, insurers will not cover anyone who puts themselves in unnecessary danger by travelling to an area deemed unsafe by the FCO, which explains the exclusion you mention and is common practice across all travel insurers.

I hope this has answered some of your queries, but if you still wish to complain about the outcome of your claim, the complaints procedure is clearly outlined in your policy wording.

Kind regards, Amber.
    I am the official company representative of Holidaysafe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • bigbandbossa
    • By bigbandbossa 9th Aug 13, 3:58 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bigbandbossa
    Hi Amber

Firstly I appreciate you posting a response. Thankyou.

We have been unable to get the remainder from the tour operator (Virgin). Their comment is that as they have paid a third party hotel for accommodation they have therefore lost out. To be honest at the point of cancelling with them I was 90% sure that I would have no issues with the insurance.

It would be useful if the comparison page on your website gave some more detail about the differences between the products in the pre-travel phase. Looking at the policy wording I see the fairly subtle differences, however possibly like many consumers I was driven more by headline figures on the comparison chart such as “Premier - £5000 cover, Premier Plus - £7500 cover”. Knowing that the holiday cost was sub £5000 drove me to a certain product, maybe naively.
    Hi Bigbandbossa,

I hope you had a lovely weekend.

Thank you for your comments regarding our website, we are always looking for customer feedback and will take your comments into consideration when we next update our site.

Kind regards, Amber.
  • moneybas
    Not happy!

I went on holiday to the South of France with holidaysafe and had a rented bicycle stolen. I told the local police and got a report etc but on my return I was told bicycles are not covered and neither are any items 'not under supervision' which to me means the policy will only ever cover what I carry on my person in case of a mugging? Any thoughts?
    Hi Moneybas, my name is Amber Howard and I am the Brand Manager for Holidaysafe.

Firstly, I think it is important to note that I do not know the specific details of your case, as all claims are handled by our claims department. However, from the brief description you have given, I think I can provide some information which will hopefully answer your query.

Our policies clearly explain what we consider to be personal possessions and outline the maximum amount we will pay for lost, damaged or stolen items. We also break this amount down into sections which are clearly defined, for example electrical items, clothes and footwear. A bicycle does not fall under any of these descriptions, and is therefore not covered under the policy. Usually, the company that rents the bikes would require hirers to take out insurance with them to cover loss or damage.

In answer to your question, we do provide cover for items which are not on your person, all we ask is that you do not leave your personal possessions unattended (and we clearly define what we mean by ‘unattended’ in the policy wording,) unless they are in your locked holiday accommodation, and that you use a safe if one is available to secure your valuables, such as watches, cameras, money and passports.

Each claim is looked at individually by our claims team and is settled according to the terms and conditions of the policy wording. Once again I must stress that I do not know any further information than the description you have provided above.

I hope this has helped to explain the situation surrounding your post, however if you would like further information, we provide a detailed complaints procedure regarding claims on the last page of your policy wording.

Kind regards, Amber.
  • JPS29
    Haven't got a clue what theyre doing
    My experience with holidaysafe has been far from satisfactory.
    I have a genuine glaim with them where 4 people on a family holiday couldn't travel due to the mother of the group (my wife) having gastroenteritis.
    Filled out all forms as required. Rang to check receipt of forms and expressed the urgency in having the claim settles as would have liked to still take the family away during half term.
    Told not a problem, ring back before the 15 days is up and will be dealt with personally if not already paid.
    Then rang back only to be told file had been passed to another insurance company to process due to high workload.
    Rang these and again expressed my need to be paid out within the timeframe set out in the claims pack of 10-15 days.
    "if it fits the criteria we'll pay"
    No problem I thought.
    Provided further docs to support claim which delayed payment by two days, fair enough.
    In the claims forms you are sent it asks for bacs details for claims to be paid to speed up the payment procedure minimising cost and time.
    Rang up the insurance company that had been sent my file (foggtravelinsurance) only to be told it had been sent back to holidaysafe
    Rang holidaysafe who told me it had been approved and paid, thjs was on Friday. Great I thought can book a weekend away at least last minute....
    Oh no actually we've paid you by cheque.
    Not once had it ever been discussed paying by cheque. I asked could the cheque be cancelled and a bacs payment be made as per my claim form only to be told cheque had already left so they would need that back first.
    Cheque should have been here sat, no show
    Rang Mon told it would be here later that day at latest tomorrow (which is now today, Tuesday)
    Surprise surprise todays post has been and no cheque.
    Rang holidaysafe to be told "I don't know what to say"
    I replied that I know what to say, cancel the cheque, make a bacs payment like you said you would in the first case and provide good customer service.
    I've been told it will be passed to a manager who will call me "hopefully" today as they are busy.
    Terrible customer service and obvious tactics to delay a genuine claim being paid.
    From this experience cant say I would recommend them....
    Hi JPS29, my name is Amber Howard and I am the Brand Manager for Holidaysafe.

Firstly I would like to apologise that you have not received the high standard of service that our Claims Department usually provides. I do not know the specific details of your case, as all claims are handled by our Claims Department; however, I have spoken to the Claims Manager this afternoon, who has told me that he has spoken to you today, and that an understanding has been reached. He will endeavour to settle this situation as quickly and smoothly as possible for you, and hopefully you will receive payment in the coming days.

Kind regards, Amber.

• JPS29
    Hi Amber
    Thank you for your input.
    I did speak with one of your representatives today and was told that the cheque should be here tomorrow, not over the next coming days, so we'll see what happens tomorrow.
    My choices were to wait for the cheque (given that I'm told it will be coming tomorrow I may aswel hold on another day) or let your colleague cancel the cheque, then when he receives confirmation from the bank the cheque cant be/hasn't been banked, he will issue a payment direct to bank which will take "a few days"
    Given my experiences so far I'm hoping the cheque just turns up tomorrow and at least then I'll have a definite date for cleared funds rather than have to wait for the people at your office to cancel, get confirmation, arrange bank payament, get authorisation etc etc as I could genuinely see it somehow taking a couple of weeks......
    I will report back tomorrow in the spirit of fairness rather than post and run.
  • JPS29
    I have spoken to the Claims Manager this afternoon, who has told me that he has spoken to you today, and that an understanding has been reached. He will endeavour to settle this situation as quickly and smoothly as possible for you

Kind regards, Amber.
    Originally posted by Holidaysafe Representative
    Update as promised.
    I could have guessed as much, still no cheque.
    I have received post today that was sent yesterday from Birmingham.
    Received post yesterday that was sent Monday from London but not the cheque from holidaysafe which they claim was sent on Friday.
    Farcical now.
    Amber there was no understanding reached. My situation is one of being stuck between a rock and a hard place. Wait for a cheque which you claim you sent then wait 5 days for it to clear, or let you cancel the cheque and wait for confirmation that the cheque has been cancelled from the bank, then wait for you to re issue a payment by BACS.
    With the greatest respect your department has not proven itself to be the fastest or efficient at resolving things or communicating with each other as I have spoken to 5 different members of staff now none of whom seem to communicate with the other or I wouldn't be sat here now typing this. If I did choose to cancel the cheque I can imagine it taking another half dozen phone calls waiting for the bank to cancel, payment to be set up, someone to sign off, bacs run, manager to authorise, if you can see where im coming from

I have quoted you above as you say he wants to solve this as quickly and smoothly for ME.
    If that's the case brilliant. Cancel the cheque and issue a chaps/same day payment so I get the money as cleared funds same day.
    That's how to solve it as quickly and smoothly for ME.
    That would be customer service, not leaving me waiting wondering/hoping a cheque will turn up.
    I only used holidaysafe because it was mentioned on here, hopefully future users will view these type of threads and make an informed decision.....
  • youdidwhat
    Ombudsmen complaint from me!
    I booked a family single trip premier plus 19th June 2013 for a holiday on 23rd July 2013. Declared all medical conditions. On 9th July 2013 my husband was diagnosed with testicular cancer obviously unexpected. I phoned the insurance company and advised them of this new condition. At no time did the operative advise me to cancel or indeed put anything in writing. He told me I could cancel or I could change the date of our holiday and to keep them informed. After an operation on the 12th July my husband was advised that he would be fit to travel. So still planning on going I called the insurance company on the 16th July. A surely lady operator advised me my husband would not be covered to travel for any eventuality... I was advised to look for alternative insurance for him and would be given a percentage of this policy back. She would put this in writing to me. Never did to date. However on the night of Friday 19th July my husband was admitted to hospital unexpectedly. Still in hospital and likely to be for some time I phoned on the Monday 22nd July to cancel the holiday. I was advised a claim form would be sent to me. It was not. On 30th July I again phoned for my claim form. It was emailed. I submitted my claim with all medical proof/doctors certificates etc etc together on the 5th August 2013. I received a letter yesterday and 80% of the holiday costs as I did not inform them of his medical condition on the 9th July in writing! If it is not bad enough that he has had one ball off now they appear to be taking the other one! I am not going to waste my time phoning them it has taken them nearly 5 weeks to get this far. I have contacted the Financial Ombudsmen as I know FACT they have a record of my telephone calls and DID NOT advise me to put it in writing. We submitted a genuine claim and we are suffering enough disruption/upset in our lives without the unnecessary stress that this has caused us. I do not have the strength to fight them personally as I am still trying to get my PPI to pay my mortgage but that's another story so I hope they do the decent thing and resolve this with the FO.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 5th Sep 13, 6:14 PM
    • 20,290 Posts
    • 12,532 Thanks
    dacouch
    I booked a family single trip premier plus 19th June 2013 for a holiday on 23rd July 2013. Declared all medical conditions. On 9th July 2013 my husband was diagnosed with testicular cancer obviously unexpected. I phoned the insurance company and advised them of this new condition. At no time did the operative advise me to cancel or indeed put anything in writing. He told me I could cancel or I could change the date of our holiday and to keep them informed. After an operation on the 12th July my husband was advised that he would be fit to travel. So still planning on going I called the insurance company on the 16th July. A surely lady operator advised me my husband would not be covered to travel for any eventuality... I was advised to look for alternative insurance for him and would be given a percentage of this policy back. She would put this in writing to me. Never did to date. However on the night of Friday 19th July my husband was admitted to hospital unexpectedly. Still in hospital and likely to be for some time I phoned on the Monday 22nd July to cancel the holiday. I was advised a claim form would be sent to me. It was not. On 30th July I again phoned for my claim form. It was emailed. I submitted my claim with all medical proof/doctors certificates etc etc together on the 5th August 2013. I received a letter yesterday and 80% of the holiday costs as I did not inform them of his medical condition on the 9th July in writing! If it is not bad enough that he has had one ball off now they appear to be taking the other one! I am not going to waste my time phoning them it has taken them nearly 5 weeks to get this far. I have contacted the Financial Ombudsmen as I know FACT they have a record of my telephone calls and DID NOT advise me to put it in writing. We submitted a genuine claim and we are suffering enough disruption/upset in our lives without the unnecessary stress that this has caused us. I do not have the strength to fight them personally as I am still trying to get my PPI to pay my mortgage but that's another story so I hope they do the decent thing and resolve this with the FO.
    Originally posted by youdidwhat
    It's not easy to follow your post but I'll try to give an answer.

If you take out a travel policy and subsequently develop a new condition. The Travel Insurer can either agree to cover the condition or they are obliged to pay the full cancellation costs of cancelling the holiday.

See case 07/05 http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/7/july-travel.htm

also http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/49/annual-travel-insurance.htm

You need to send a polite and concise "Official Complaint" to the Insurer (The address is in your policy under "Complaints"). They have eight weeks to properly investigate and report back to you. If you're not happy with their response you can then take the matter to the Ombudsman.

You can obtain a recording / transcript of any calls you've made to the Insurer along with other data on you by sending them a cheque for £10 and requesting a "Subject Access Report"
  • youdidwhat
    THANK YOU Dale Maily! Your advice was much appreciated
    Update as promised.
    I could have guessed as much, still no cheque.
    I have received post today that was sent yesterday from Birmingham.
    Received post yesterday that was sent Monday from London but not the cheque from holidaysafe which they claim was sent on Friday.
    Farcical now.
    Amber there was no understanding reached. My situation is one of being stuck between a rock and a hard place. Wait for a cheque which you claim you sent then wait 5 days for it to clear, or let you cancel the cheque and wait for confirmation that the cheque has been cancelled from the bank, then wait for you to re issue a payment by BACS.
    With the greatest respect your department has not proven itself to be the fastest or efficient at resolving things or communicating with each other as I have spoken to 5 different members of staff now none of whom seem to communicate with the other or I wouldn't be sat here now typing this. If I did choose to cancel the cheque I can imagine it taking another half dozen phone calls waiting for the bank to cancel, payment to be set up, someone to sign off, bacs run, manager to authorise, if you can see where im coming from

I have quoted you above as you say he wants to solve this as quickly and smoothly for ME.
    If that's the case brilliant. Cancel the cheque and issue a chaps/same day payment so I get the money as cleared funds same day.
    That's how to solve it as quickly and smoothly for ME.
    That would be customer service, not leaving me waiting wondering/hoping a cheque will turn up.
    I only used holidaysafe because it was mentioned on here, hopefully future users will view these type of threads and make an informed decision.....
    Originally posted by JPS29
    Hi JPS29, I just wanted to post a quick courtesy message, following your last comments above.

I spoke to our Claims Manager yesterday afternoon, who assured me that payment left our offices and was sent to the bank account detailed on your payment instructions on the 5th September. He also assured me that he had personally spoken to you on Thursday to confirm that this transaction had taken place. Once again I would just like to apologise for any inconvenience caused in the last few weeks, and I hope that this matter has now been resolved for you.

Kind regards, Amber.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,245Posts Today

5,415Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin