Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    dseers335
    0 WOW
    Beware - Goldcar Car Rentals Spain
    • 22nd Sep 10, 6:02 PM
    0 WOW
    Beware - Goldcar Car Rentals Spain 22nd Sep 10 at 6:02 PM
    I booked a trip to Alicante airport for myself and my girlfriend. We wanted to hire a rental car and ended up booking with a hire company called Goldcar.

They seemed quite cheap and already have "all-inclusive" insurance included so it sounded good.

I will make sure I never go near this company again.

Firstly, when we arrived we had to queue for just over an hour before getting to the front of the desk. Being peak-season we weren't too suprised and, although inconvenient, we could bare this.

When we reached the desk the rep was very abrupt and bordered of rudeness. This didn't really bother me (at the end of the day this guy was working and had a lot of holiday-makers to get through).

When we had finished with the details the rep asked if I wanted "full CDW insurance" or just "basic" cover for tyres and glass. Now, as I have hired cars several times in the past I am fully aware of exclusions (tyres/glass/keys etc) and so replied that I did not require any extra insurance and my credit card covers for the tyre/glass etc charge - but did query the "full CDW insurance" he was offering. The man looked at me and said "if you are involved in a crash then we will need to charge you for all repairs". I told him that this was already included in the cost I had paid for the hire and highlighted the wording on my voucher which backed up my understanding. "it is not correct. if you have a crash you only have 3rd party and we will take a 5000.00EUR excess-deposit until the repairs are worked out" - using these words exactly. The rep was basically telling me I had zero cover whereas the paperwork I had and the website tells me I was all-inclusive.

After several more minutes of this I agreed to take the extra cover so I could enjoy the rest of my holiday stress-free and had to pay up a further 60.00EUR.

The rep just handed me an electronic paid to sign which had no indication of what I was paying for or agreeing to exactly. A few days later I inspected the contract to see that the total price and been converted to GBP with a 2% mark-up, the cost of fuel was priced at 82.00EUR and I was charged for some kind of diesel-upgrade on top without my consent (I had booked a petrol!).
    The vehicle itself had some problems but it is rare to be given a perfect rental car, especially in Spain, so this was OK.

When I got home I sent an email to my broker ("Carjet") who confirmed my understanding of the insurance (all-inclusive except for the tyres/glass etc). They could not really disagree as I was going by the wording on their's/Goldcar's website.

Carjet then contacted Goldcar with my complaint to get to the bottom of it. After a few weeks, Goldcar replied to say that their rates were all-inclusive except for a few minor items and they did not take any deposit in case of a crash. Goldcar said that I must have misunderstood due to the language barrier and the cover I had taken was only cover for punctures/loss of keys etc and their rates included in more just 3rd party.

After a few more emails back and forth Goldcar closed the case stating "we can't refund when the client has signed the contract".
    This email probably makes me sound like newbie who doesn't read the small print but I really am not (it gives me something to do during the flight!). My partner also backs up entirely what I have said and encouraged my to write this.

That's my review. Stay away from Goldcar if it can be helped. The salesmen at the desk will lie to you outright in order to make an extra few Euros commission.

I have prebooked my next trip and Carjet were able to arrange the car hire through "Solmar" this time for the same price.
Page 18
    • CM66
    • By CM66 12th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 3,004 Thanks
    CM66
    If you paid by credit card then you should be able to take it up with the card company and get a charge back.

Most importantly - read what you are signing before you sign it, and if there are charges that shouldn't be there get them removed!!

I hire about 10 cars a year for my job and avoid Goldcar / Firefly etc like the plague. I'm sure that i have saved more in time and money by paying slightly more and using a reputable company.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 12th Sep 17, 7:38 PM
    • 1,723 Posts
    • 754 Thanks
    nickcc
    As I'm sure you can see CM66 most posters complaining about the dirty tricks Goldcar use are first time posters. I'm sure you and other experienced car rental travellers are used to these dirty tricks, unfortunately many others are not. Like most experienced MSE members I learnt my lesson the hard way, perhaps a little compassion along with suitable advice would assist the poster far more than making them look like fools.
    • CM66
    • By CM66 13th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    • 508 Posts
    • 3,004 Thanks
    CM66
    As I'm sure you can see CM66 most posters complaining about the dirty tricks Goldcar use are first time posters. I'm sure you and other experienced car rental travellers are used to these dirty tricks, unfortunately many others are not. Like most experienced MSE members I learnt my lesson the hard way, perhaps a little compassion along with suitable advice would assist the poster far more than making them look like fools.
    Originally posted by nickcc

I'm pretty sure me saying to check what you sign is suitable advice, along with them trying to get a charge back through their CC company.

I do have some sympathy, but i also think they have to take some responsibility. They have chosen to hire with the cheapest companies out there and expect the same service as those charging much more. They are cheap for a reason, and yes unfortunately most people have to learn the hard way.
    • brianposter
    • By brianposter 13th Sep 17, 5:57 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    brianposter
    Most people have little option but to sign. However if you ask for a complaint form at the same time, you have evidence that you have signed simply to mitigate your loss.
    The complaint form does not have to be filled in on the spot.
    • Bengt
    • By Bengt 16th Sep 17, 9:39 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Bengt
    Some more positive experiences of Goldcar.

I travel to Barcelona from Sweden about five times per year. For many years I have used Hertz without any major problems (and no unexpected charges). The last year Goldcar has been far cheaper (for an estate or semi MPV like Citroen Berlingo). In July 2016 I had a car for four weeks at €250.

So far during three rentals I have nothing to complain about. No unexpected extra charges. I do not take full insurance as I have full insurance on a credit card that I only use for car rental.

Every time the damage report has been blank at arrival and I have been asked to fill it in myself. Strange but I have done it with care.
    This July I paid around €700 for four weeks. A comparable car at other rentals were around €1200. Seemed to be a shortage of rental cars in Barcelona this summer.
    I did make a mistake and scratched the rear bumper. This was noticed when I returned the car and on My Goldcar I could later see an invoice for €250 for damage and €50 for non-availability of the car for rental.
    Nothing to argue about really. But what surprised me was that three days later the invoices were credited Really strange but I did not mind.

So next week I have another rental with Goldcar in Barcelona. 1 week for €45. Not bad at all...
    Last edited by Bengt; 16-09-2017 at 9:53 AM. Reason: Added a starting sentence and blank lines added for readability
    • martynh99
    • By martynh99 30th Sep 17, 3:17 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    martynh99
    I holiday a few times a year abroad and tend to use whoever is the cheapest at the time for a full/full , on airport and never ever take the additional insurance out. Over the years i've probably used all the major spanish car hire companies, record / goldcar / hertz / europcar / avis / interrent / firefly etc. and never really had any issues at all apart from of course the hard sell on insurance.
    Last week I rented a Focus sized car via DoYouSpain from Goldcar at Barcelona airport. €22.31 for 8 days.
    Arrived at the desk 5 minutes after scheduled pickup time and was 3rd in the queue. Spent around 30 minutes here during which time they were doing the hardsell on everyone and managed to get the 2 in front of me to part with €160 on each car.
    When it was my turn, the insurance would have been €185 on the class of car I had and I rejected it. Next was the airport tax, that came to €3 so no concern over that but the next 'addition' they hit me with was diesel surcharge - €4 per day totalling €32. I challenged this as I had not booked a diesel car and the DYS contract stated diesel surcharge was only €2 per day, but Goldcar were not budging - either pay it or have no car so I ended up paying it with the intention of letting Mastercard take it back from them on my return.
    So in total €1400 deposit, €122 fuel fee inc tank (fuel is about €1.20 and it's a 50 litre tank at most so a rip off again but I would be returning it full so no issue).
    Went over to the carpark to pick the car up, not ready yet. All in it was 1.5 hours past the pickup time before the car was made available and it was a bit of a wreck. 3yr old, 80000km on the clock, dings & dents all over it, a few of them not on the damage report so that was updated and signed off by them.

I returned the car 8 days later, they didn't want to inspect it but I made them and got it signed off as no damage and full fuel. 2 Days later i've checked my credit card statement and instead of placing a hold on the deposit funds they actually took the money on day 0 then refunded it on day 9 - in that time the exchange rate has got better (€1.12 on day 0 €1.13 on day 9) which has left me out of pocket by around £12.
    I'll give Goldcar the opportunity to make up this difference and if I get nowhere will pass it onto Mastercard to sort out as they should only have placed a hold on the deposit so are in breach of contract and possibly their merchant agreement.

I also challenged Goldcar customer service on the diesel surcharge and they confirmed that the diesel surcharge is ' an environmental fee however if there are not petrol cars and we provide a diesel one this fee is not applied'. They tell me they will be refunding the €32 but as yet that hasn't appeared on my account.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 30th Sep 17, 6:53 PM
    • 1,723 Posts
    • 754 Thanks
    nickcc
    Ripped off
    I holiday a few times a year abroad and tend to use whoever is the cheapest at the time for a full/full , on airport and never ever take the additional insurance out. Over the years i've probably used all the major spanish car hire companies, record / goldcar / hertz / europcar / avis / interrent / firefly etc. and never really had any issues at all apart from of course the hard sell on insurance.
    Last week I rented a Focus sized car via DoYouSpain from Goldcar at Barcelona airport. €22.31 for 8 days.
    Arrived at the desk 5 minutes after scheduled pickup time and was 3rd in the queue. Spent around 30 minutes here during which time they were doing the hardsell on everyone and managed to get the 2 in front of me to part with €160 on each car.
    When it was my turn, the insurance would have been €185 on the class of car I had and I rejected it. Next was the airport tax, that came to €3 so no concern over that but the next 'addition' they hit me with was diesel surcharge - €4 per day totalling €32. I challenged this as I had not booked a diesel car and the DYS contract stated diesel surcharge was only €2 per day, but Goldcar were not budging - either pay it or have no car so I ended up paying it with the intention of letting Mastercard take it back from them on my return.
    So in total €1400 deposit, €122 fuel fee inc tank (fuel is about €1.20 and it's a 50 litre tank at most so a rip off again but I would be returning it full so no issue).
    Went over to the carpark to pick the car up, not ready yet. All in it was 1.5 hours past the pickup time before the car was made available and it was a bit of a wreck. 3yr old, 80000km on the clock, dings & dents all over it, a few of them not on the damage report so that was updated and signed off by them.

I returned the car 8 days later, they didn't want to inspect it but I made them and got it signed off as no damage and full fuel. 2 Days later i've checked my credit card statement and instead of placing a hold on the deposit funds they actually took the money on day 0 then refunded it on day 9 - in that time the exchange rate has got better (€1.12 on day 0 €1.13 on day 9) which has left me out of pocket by around £12.
    I'll give Goldcar the opportunity to make up this difference and if I get nowhere will pass it onto Mastercard to sort out as they should only have placed a hold on the deposit so are in breach of contract and possibly their merchant agreement.

I also challenged Goldcar customer service on the diesel surcharge and they confirmed that the diesel surcharge is ' an environmental fee however if there are not petrol cars and we provide a diesel one this fee is not applied'. They tell me they will be refunding the €32 but as yet that hasn't appeared on my account.
    Originally posted by martynh99
    So you're saying that Goldcar are rip off merchants ? Not sure what the alternative would be.
    • martynh99
    • By martynh99 1st Oct 17, 4:32 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    martynh99
    So you're saying that Goldcar are rip off merchants ? Not sure what the alternative would be.
    Originally posted by nickcc
    I'm saying in this case they have ripped me off yes. Despite them telling me that they will refund the €32 diesel surcharge they have now backtracked and say they won't.

I have used them before and not had any issues, seems on this occasion the took the €1400 deposit as a payment then refunded it whereas previously they just put a block / hold on the deposit amount and release it at the end which doesn't cause the exchange rate issues.

So currently I am €32 + £12 down on a car that cost €22 to hire.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 1st Oct 17, 7:24 PM
    • 1,723 Posts
    • 754 Thanks
    nickcc
    I think if you read this thread you would realise what a load of scum bags they are. There initial charges are usually far lower than the major rental companies but after they screw you for everything possible then going with one of the majors is now my choice.
    • Raduceo
    • By Raduceo 11th Nov 17, 1:48 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Raduceo
    Goldcar daylight robbery
    I've made mistake and booked car from Goldcar in Gran Canaria via Ryanair, before reading reviews. The original cost was €43.30, but actual cost was €900. This is what everyone should know before renting with Goldcar.

I've booked and paid for a VW Polo like car in advance £36 via Ryanair car hire and was supposed to pay €2.32 at the desk, but they charged me additional €29. I was supposed to leave deposit of €1100, but they took €1213 for some reason. Actually, the money was taken and not just blocked which cost me additional £31 non sterling transaction.

Well the nightmare started with thieves breaking rear door window. They charged me €150, which is supposed to be excess, but this actually covers new window and labour in London, so I assume the labour is either the same or cheaper in Spain plus the window should cost about the same. Well I paid that. Anyway, they gave me a new car with two damages. I was able to find additional two damages despite very dim light in the underground car park in Gran Canaria airport and had it signed.

The car was booked to be returned at 5:30 and no one was serving out of hours, so I had to push the key through the letter box on the office door as I had a flight to catch. This means I had no signed check in document. Two days later I got email from Goldcar claiming I've done three scratches. One on bonnet which cost €250, one on front door €200 and one on rear door €200. Well, I've been parking in underground expensive car parks to avoid this as on street parking in Gran Canaria is worse than in London. Funny enough they did not find any of the damages which I had signed.

However the scratches are so shallow you can easily wipe them with T-cut or any paint polish. Actually, if I knew about them I would polish them with toothpaste and clean cloth. The whole car could be painted for €650. I definitely did not do the scratches.
    I've contacted Goldcar with complain and they responded I was offered collision damage waiver CDL and refused. I asked for proof of damages and real cost after repair with no response from them.
    • Chwaraeteg
    • By Chwaraeteg 20th Nov 17, 9:53 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chwaraeteg
    Goldcar rip off - how do I get a refund?
    I hired a car from Goldcar in Palma, Majorca at half-term. I purposely took out insurance in the UK to cover excess charges so I wouldn't have to take out extra insurance from Goldcar. When I got to the airport to collect my car, they took my credit card details for the deposit (as expected) and when I queried this they said "Don't worry, when you return the car you'll get the money back". However, back in the UK I see that I had been charged £272.05 and had £113.58 returned to me because I returned the car full of fuel. That leaves me £158.47 out of pocket. When I queried this I was told it was for Super Relax Cover (148.45 euros) AND Mega Relax cover (16 euros) and Premium office fee (13.15 euros). I was neither offered nor asked for extra insurance - this has been added without my consent. How do I get my money back? Goldcar are not answering my emails. Should I try and claim it from my bank under Section 75?
    • GARRY M
    • By GARRY M 7th Dec 17, 11:14 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GARRY M
    Avoid goldcar like the plague!! I warn you all
    DO NOT USE GOLDCAR ......IF YOU DO YOU WILL PAY!!! i have been using goldcar for over 15 years and have always taken out there insurance! this is how the story goes.

I picked up my car from alicante multi storey as i always have done for all the years that i have been going there. on this occasion they were very short staffed, i checked over the car and there were several scratches that were not on the release form to me, i went inside where the queue was 10 deep in people, i managed to get the attention of the person that i know there after hiring every three weeks, i expressed my concerns to be told its ok carry on , i thought well ok as i do know them well. Guess what happened next i receive some photos and a bill for £950 euros which they deducted from my card straight away, yes you got it its a scam, they rent out there cars for peanuts and then rob the client. I expressed my disappointment chased them and chased them until i received a message telling me to read there conditions!! Well thanks GOLDCAR you are total rip off merchants, i beg all of you who are going to use them to steer clear and use AUTOCLICK.COM, they are very honest from the word go I am warning all you people use GOLDCAR at your peril. a very P.....D off client GM
    • AlwaysHere
    • By AlwaysHere 7th Dec 17, 11:52 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    AlwaysHere
    DO NOT USE GOLDCAR ......IF YOU DO YOU WILL PAY!!! i have been using goldcar for over 15 years and have always taken out there insurance! this is how the story goes.

I picked up my car from alicante multi storey as i always have done for all the years that i have been going there. on this occasion they were very short staffed, i checked over the car and there were several scratches that were not on the release form to me, i went inside where the queue was 10 deep in people, i managed to get the attention of the person that i know there after hiring every three weeks, i expressed my concerns to be told its ok carry on , i thought well ok as i do know them well. Guess what happened next i receive some photos and a bill for £950 euros which they deducted from my card straight away, yes you got it its a scam, they rent out there cars for peanuts and then rob the client. I expressed my disappointment chased them and chased them until i received a message telling me to read there conditions!! Well thanks GOLDCAR you are total rip off merchants, i beg all of you who are going to use them to steer clear and use AUTOCLICK.COM, they are very honest from the word go I am warning all you people use GOLDCAR at your peril. a very P.....D off client GM
    Originally posted by GARRY M
    Why did you get a bill if you have always taken their insurance??
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,937Posts Today

6,555Users online

Martin's Twitter