Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EddS
    • By EddS 7th Dec 17, 2:20 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    EddS
    Additional Electrics
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:20 PM
    Additional Electrics 7th Dec 17 at 2:20 PM
    Hello,
    We are going to get a rewire done on a house we have just brought and I'm wandering if anyone wished that they had got something else done during their rewire? For example, more plug sockets.
    This will be the first place we have brought and don't have to move immediately so want to get this done before we move in. One thing I'm thinking of is an outside socket/terminal on it's own fuse box loop (I need to learn the terminology).
    Thanks all!
Page 2
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 7th Dec 17, 7:40 PM
    • 7,679 Posts
    • 8,291 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Id say it’s olds in terms of devices that can use it. More and more devices expect WiFi or Bluetooth.
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 7th Dec 17, 8:13 PM
    • 999 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    I'd up that I have three double sockets in my room and I still need an extension plug.

Bedside table light
    Tablet
    Phone
    Radio alarm clock
    Garmin charger

So that is 5 things on just my side of the bed.
    Originally posted by aneary
    Three of those covered by those sockets with USB power in them. I have put them in the bedrooms and kitchen now so chargers for these devices don't waste any sockets.
    Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £4,014

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • thmaga
    • By thmaga 7th Dec 17, 9:40 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    thmaga
    Id say itís olds in terms of devices that can use it. More and more devices expect WiFi or Bluetooth.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    We wired upstairs with Ethernet a few years ago. One point is used for a WiFi hotspot to cover the back of the house.

Definitely will be doing the same in a new house.
    • exiled_red
    • By exiled_red 7th Dec 17, 11:06 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    exiled_red
    We have recently gone through this process, the advice we got was to have at least 4 double sockets in every room. We did this and put extra sockets in locations where there would be a lot of electrical equipment such as TV. We also had a lighting switch control a number of table lamps in the living room.

The kitchen has double outlets in every corner and in the middle of every run of counter top. We have individual sockets for appliances in or behind cupboards which can be switched on or off from a switch bank in the corner.

Bathroom has and extractor isolator linked to the light switch and shaver outlets.

Consider the locations of the furniture in positioning outlets throughout the house, it's really annoying if your bedside plug socket requires you to move the bed to get to it. We also put a lot of sockets with USB points on them to charge phones etc. Also consider if you want lights or electrical outlets in cupboards or the loft. We put these in so that we can charge cordless vacuum cleaners etc whilst they are away rather than leaving them out making the place look a mess. We also put a light in the cupboard under the stairs.

Think about things like outside lights regular or motion activated, we also put in outdoor sockets for things like mowing the lawn or for charging an electric car if we ever get one in future.

We also have mains powered (with backup battery) smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. Doorbell transformer

I also wanted co-ax and Cat6 cable run to at least one point in every room. Most people think about Cat6 as just being for Internet access but it is really diverse. I use these as points for a landline, ethernet, doorbell, and may in future use it to carry hdmi signals from a computer to a TV or similar. I have my Cat6 cable run back to a central point under the stairs I have 2 co-ax runs from each room to there as well as sky feeds and TV aerial so it can be distributed around the house. Consider any AV stuff you might want myou focus was on TV but you may want surround sound or central speaker system I didn't bother with that.

Other things to consider might be if you want a burglar alarm.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas
    Last edited by exiled_red; 07-12-2017 at 11:27 PM.
    • exiled_red
    • By exiled_red 7th Dec 17, 11:21 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    exiled_red
    We wired upstairs with Ethernet a few years ago. One point is used for a WiFi hotspot to cover the back of the house.

Definitely will be doing the same in a new house.
    Originally posted by thmaga
    We do the same, we have solid internal walls throughout the house so just running the wireless from the router gives us regions of poor reception. Wifi access points solve that. And despite wireless getting faster it will never be as fast as the wired connection so we hook up smart TVs to the wired network and can watch high quality video with no buffering issues. It's much better than any other setup we tried in our old place, moving router or power line adapters.
    • GaleSF63
    • By GaleSF63 9th Dec 17, 6:55 AM
    • 247 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    GaleSF63
    Try not to have any stretch of wall between doors without any sockets, so you never have to have a cable crossing a doorway. And think about what height you want the sockets - no need to go automatically for the traditional just above the skirting board.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 9th Dec 17, 7:38 AM
    • 30,848 Posts
    • 18,451 Thanks
    getmore4less
    If getting USB enabled sockets get ones with USB isolating/switched

Consider where you will be putting TV,s and kit with 6/8 sockets near.

Also if there is any chance you will wall mount a TV consider running power, HDMI, coax and cat6 up to the point
    or put in some trunking to run stuff later

Use a distribution plate or euro modules.

if you bury it enough you can hide with a wall patch or just use a picture till you put up the tv. (think about where the bracket will go as well)

light switches I moved over to wide rockers with hidden screws and really like them they look good and the switch action is much nicer than regular narrow ones.

BUY QUALITY
    I like the MK logic plus range.
    https://www.mkelectric.com/Documents/English/EN%20MK%20Catalogue/Logic%20Plus.pdf
    Last edited by getmore4less; 09-12-2017 at 9:10 AM.
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 9th Dec 17, 8:28 AM
    • 999 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    And think about what height you want the sockets - no need to go automatically for the traditional just above the skirting board.
    Originally posted by GaleSF63

You don't need to think too much, Part M made changes to this some years ago so "just above the skirting" hasn't been traditional for a while.

https://www.practicaldiy.com/electrics/socket-position/socket-height.php

These are only recommendations for refurbs but as I mentioned earlier in my post, it's worth doing.
    Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £4,014

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 9th Dec 17, 9:13 AM
    • 29,855 Posts
    • 55,850 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    ]You can never have enough sockets[/B] in the Kitchen.

If I were doing my house I would take the oppertunity to put cat6 ethernet cables in. Wireless is ok for light use but you can't beat a proper cable.
    by n217970;73528925[B
    ....anywhere.

We had our two-bed bungalow rewired when we moved in two years ago. We have 25 double sockets indoors (so fifty plugs altogether) and two double sockets outside, plus power to one of the sheds.

Still don't have enough!!

Also plan where your stuff is going to go so they are in the right place.

Agree about the cable.
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    'Let me tell you this one thing. When you fall out, as you will, don't get blaming each other. Look inside yourself first'. - Hilda Ogden, to Sally on her wedding day to Kevin, Coronation Street 1986. '
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 10th Dec 17, 7:06 PM
    • 9,595 Posts
    • 5,187 Thanks
    dimbo61
    Costs !! More sockets More Costs.
    You can have double sockets with double USB ports in them
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 10th Dec 17, 7:27 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 718 Thanks
    pramsay13
    If I was getting a full rewire:
    I would get more sockets in the house, and add USB socket to some of them.
    I would have a switch at the top of the stairs for the downstairs hall and vice-versa.
    I would have an outdoor socket for garden items.
    I would have decent lighting and sockets in the loft.
    I would think about what I needed for computing and sound systems in each room (I'm not in that position yet so haven't considered it.)
    • theEnd
    • By theEnd 10th Dec 17, 7:48 PM
    • 825 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    theEnd
    I fitted a sensor light (dark hall inside flat door) and connected up an intercom system. Both been very good.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

2,101Users online

Martin's Twitter