Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kaych
    • By kaych 7th Dec 17, 9:47 PM
    • 334Posts
    • 188Thanks
    kaych
    Use account switch service to close old accounts
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:47 PM
    Use account switch service to close old accounts 7th Dec 17 at 9:47 PM
    Has anyone used the current account switch service to close old accounts? I have a few current accounts that I no longer use. I havenít closed them as I have been too lazy to go into branch to do it. They have not been used for a while and donít have any credits nor any direct debits on them.

I just want to ask if I can use the switch service to close these accounts? Itís strange coz there is technically nothing to switch but thought would ask to check whether it is possible as this seems to be the easiest and quickest ways to close an account without having to go into a branch in the weekend?!
Page 1
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 7th Dec 17, 9:54 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    18cc
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:54 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:54 PM
    Yes that would close the old account but then wouldn't you just have to close the new account so you might as well save yourself the hassle and close the old account
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 7th Dec 17, 9:59 PM
    • 29,616 Posts
    • 17,474 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:59 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:59 PM
    I've closed many this way.

I'm assuming you're happy you've bagged all the current incentives? Are you sure?
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 7th Dec 17, 10:01 PM
    • 29,616 Posts
    • 17,474 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:01 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:01 PM
    but then wouldn't you just have to close the new account so you might as well save yourself the hassle and close the old account
    Originally posted by 18cc
    No. You'd switch, say, 3 redundant accounts into one you intend to keep.
    • kaych
    • By kaych 7th Dec 17, 10:10 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    kaych
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:10 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:10 PM
    I've closed many this way.

I'm assuming you're happy you've bagged all the current incentives? Are you sure?
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    Thanks for confirming that this can be done!

One of the accounts that I want to close is the Metro Bank. This has been sitting in my drawer since they start charging for cash withdrawal outside of EU.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 7th Dec 17, 10:15 PM
    • 29,616 Posts
    • 17,474 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:15 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:15 PM
    One of the accounts that I want to close is the Metro Bank. This has been sitting in my drawer since they start charging for cash withdrawal outside of EU.
    Originally posted by kaych
    You never travel within the EU? If you have other cards for that you don't want a back up?
    • kaych
    • By kaych 7th Dec 17, 10:24 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    kaych
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:24 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:24 PM
    You never travel within the EU? If you have other cards for that you don't want a back up?
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    I use Starling for travel now as it is free (for now) for cash withdrawal worldwide. I also have nationwide flexplus as a backup. So thought maybe it's time to close the metro bank one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,074Posts Today

6,733Users online

Martin's Twitter