Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AdyBaby
    • By AdyBaby 4th Dec 17, 3:38 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    AdyBaby
    Ombudsman need ex wife signature
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:38 PM
    Ombudsman need ex wife signature 4th Dec 17 at 3:38 PM
    In 2004 I remortgaged with my ( then) wife but was told that i had to take out ppi or we would not get the mortgage ( Even though I had income protection insurance already in place which would have been more than adequate).
    The mortgage was in joint names.
    I was the only person insured under the ppi policy.
    I made all payments of the mortgage and ppi from a bank account in my sole name.
    The mortgage was redeemed in 2008.
    I complained to the Building Society but they rejected the complaint, effectively saying that they did not have any paperwork but did not believe they would have missold the ppi policy.
    I wrote to the Ombudsman but they say they cannot investigate until they have the necessary form signed by me and my wife.
    The problem is we are divorced and I have no idea where she is.
    The ombudsman acknowledges that I was the insured and I paid the premiums but because it was a joint mortgage they say they cannot do anything without her signature.
    Can anybody help me ?
Page 1
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 4th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    • 8,757 Posts
    • 54,331 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    Was it a acrimonious split; is she likely to agree to sign?

If she is, could you find her on FB - search relatives names if you don't know her surname now and check their friends lists.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • AdyBaby
    • By AdyBaby 5th Dec 17, 12:51 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AdyBaby
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:51 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:51 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion but she is completely estranged from me and her family so its doubtful she would cooperate even if traced
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 5th Dec 17, 2:13 PM
    • 89,919 Posts
    • 56,596 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:13 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:13 PM
    I was the only person insured under the ppi policy.
    But was it set up jointly?

MPPI plans are typically better quality than loan or credit card PPI. Its one of the reasons most MPPI complaints fail and why the FOS reject most MPPI complaints too. One of the features of MPPI is the ability to split the benefit on a joint plan. 50/50, 60/40 or even 100/0. If a joint mortgage with a lender linked MPPI is set up 100/0 then it is still technically a joint policy.

The redress, if the complaint is successful will likely be split with your ex as well.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

635Posts Today

5,257Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin