Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 18th Nov 16, 1:05 PM
    • 8,833Posts
    • 21,140Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Struggling with debt? Ask a debt advisor a question
    • 18th Nov 16, 1:05 PM
    Struggling with debt? Ask a debt advisor a question 18th Nov 16 at 1:05 PM
    If you need help with your debts, this is the thread for you.

Trained advisors from StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) are here and waiting to answer your debt questions. They’re a friendly bunch so please don’t be shy!

There are three ways to get in touch:

1 - Simply post your question below and the team will reply. If your question is about bankruptcy, then pop over to the Bankruptcy board.

2 - If you would prefer to ask a question in private, feel free to send a message to StepChange Private Messages.

3 – StepChange Debt Remedy is a free and confidential online debt advice tool. You can put a budget together at your pace, and you can also talk it over with an advisor through online chat.

If you're a StepChange Debt Charity client already, please contact its Aftercare team rather than posting in this thread (their contact details are in your Welcome Pack).

If you're self employed and need debt help please get in touch with Business Debtline.

This is discussion thread part four, see parts one, two and three.

Finally, follow @MSE_Forum on twitter for debate and discussion on all things MoneySaving and more.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-12-2017 at 2:44 PM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 29
    • rhe93
    • By rhe93 30th Nov 17, 7:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rhe93
    Fuel Cards
    Hi!
    A few months ago i took out a fuel card, I was under the impression that it was monthly and not weekly!

So money was coming out of my bank weekly which until I checked my bank I was unaware.
    Anyway, got in to some difficulty as they charged £50.00 for a bounced DD and because that £50.00 bounced I got charged another £50.00.

I have asked if I could pay £50.00 per month. They sent me an expenditure form and they said no as you have £100.00 spare then you will pay £100.00

So I had another look at my expenditures only the next day and revised it and now they want supporting documents. After only 1 day of sending it.

I don't have these supporting documents

Is there any way I can get around this?

Thank you
  • StepChange_Rachael
    Hi

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.

Fuel cards arenít something Iíve come across before. However, with any agreement itís worth checking the details in the original contract first. Itís important to check the terms of the agreement to see what the process would be if the payments arenít maintained.

With any debt you can only pay what is affordable after youíve covered your household bills and general living costs, but it's important you know the consiquences of reduced payments and the action they can take going forward.

Iím not sure what kind of supporting documents they are asking for but normally a budget showing your financial situation should be enough evidence to show what is an affordable payment.

Quite often creditors will ask for a financial budget from a third party. If they are asking for this then you can complete a budget through StepChange which can be used with the creditors along with advice on any debts you have.

Alternatively if youíre self-employed then you can receive help and create a budget with aid of The Business Debtline.

Thanks
    Rachael

Hi!
    A few months ago i took out a fuel card, I was under the impression that it was monthly and not weekly!

So money was coming out of my bank weekly which until I checked my bank I was unaware.
    Anyway, got in to some difficulty as they charged £50.00 for a bounced DD and because that £50.00 bounced I got charged another £50.00.

I have asked if I could pay £50.00 per month. They sent me an expenditure form and they said no as you have £100.00 spare then you will pay £100.00

So I had another look at my expenditures only the next day and revised it and now they want supporting documents. After only 1 day of sending it.

I don't have these supporting documents

Is there any way I can get around this?

Thank you
    Originally posted by rhe93
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
    • Blueberry55
    • By Blueberry55 8th Dec 17, 8:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Blueberry55
    Hi, I wonder if I could get some advice please?

I hve an old credit card debt that was defaulted on years ago (approx2010). I have been on various payment arrangements since and was unemployed for a time. The interest was frozen way back in 2010 approx. More recently, through an unfortunate period, I missed a few payments and got a ccj. I am working now and able to pay. The ccj was applied for in December last year but was not finalised by the court until August this year ( as the dca had decided to accept my offer of £17 per month in between but decided in August that it wasnít good enough any more). I offered them £75 per month with some assistance from my parents which they refused as they said they would prefer to hear what the court had to say. The court set the month payment to £10. I have paid this in full (or over) each month and in time. Restons applies for a charging order, which I attempted to defend on the ground that there is little equity in my home and I do hve other creditors. The court rejected this and the order has gone ahead. My problem is that the ccj was given for a debt of £2041 including the court fees. I have received the final charging order today for £18100.00. Is this possible? Or is it likely just a typo with an extra zero in it? Any response would be great.
  • StepChange_Linsi
    Good morning,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.

Applying to the court for an interim charging order costs a creditor £110, which is then added to the judgment debt. Other costs may be added to the debt to cover administration or for updating the Land Registry, but it seems unlikely this would come to over £16,000.

Itís possible this may have been a typing error so Iíd recommend contacting the creditor to check the outstanding balance. You can also ask them to provide a breakdown of any fees added.

The terms and conditions of your credit card agreement should also breakdown what fees can be added and when, so itís worth reading this if you still have the terms and conditions.

If you need any further advice after speaking to the creditor please donít hesitate to get back in touch. Here are our contact details.

All the best,

Linsi

Hi, I wonder if I could get some advice please?

I hve an old credit card debt that was defaulted on years ago (approx2010). I have been on various payment arrangements since and was unemployed for a time. The interest was frozen way back in 2010 approx. More recently, through an unfortunate period, I missed a few payments and got a ccj. I am working now and able to pay. The ccj was applied for in December last year but was not finalised by the court until August this year ( as the dca had decided to accept my offer of £17 per month in between but decided in August that it wasnít good enough any more). I offered them £75 per month with some assistance from my parents which they refused as they said they would prefer to hear what the court had to say. The court set the month payment to £10. I have paid this in full (or over) each month and in time. Restons applies for a charging order, which I attempted to defend on the ground that there is little equity in my home and I do hve other creditors. The court rejected this and the order has gone ahead. My problem is that the ccj was given for a debt of £2041 including the court fees. I have received the final charging order today for £18100.00. Is this possible? Or is it likely just a typo with an extra zero in it? Any response would be great.
    Originally posted by Blueberry55
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
    • MMC87
    • By MMC87 11th Dec 17, 6:03 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    MMC87
    Hi

I have a practical question about DMP. If I wanted to make an additional payment (for example, if I did some overtime or sold things on eBay and therefore had some extra cash) how would I go about this?

Do I get account details to send money to? Or is there some sort of process to follow?
  • StepChange_Allen
    Hi

I have a practical question about DMP. If I wanted to make an additional payment (for example, if I did some overtime or sold things on eBay and therefore had some extra cash) how would I go about this?

Do I get account details to send money to? Or is there some sort of process to follow?
    Originally posted by MMC87

Hi there

Thanks for posting.

I can only really speak on behalf of StepChange on this, so if you're on a DMP with us you can make an extra payment to your plan in this sort of situation yes. We have a team dedicated to assisting all our clients on DMPs and they can process extra payments, or we can provide our bank details instead. Then we'd just ask that you let us know an extra payment has been made so we can update your records.

If you're currently a client with us, please send us a private message (StepChange Private Messages) and we can give you the phone number required.

I hope this helps.

Allen

• MMC87
    • By MMC87 12th Dec 17, 12:15 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    MMC87
    Thanks, Allen. I'm going with StepChange but only just starting up - just wanted to know for the future months.
    • Catty552
    • By Catty552 14th Dec 17, 5:39 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Catty552
    Hello, I took out a loan in 2004 for £1000. I paid most of it off but fell into difficulties so stopped making repayments. It eventually was sent to debt collectors and again I paid a bit more off it, I applied for ppi refund and this was deducted from the balance of my loan. I assumed I'd paid off the debt as I didn't hear off them for a while, then recently I received a letter from Restons Solicitors saying they put a charge on my property and had sent my debt to an enforcement agency. My debt was now back up to over £1300. So I went to see the CAB and we wrote to Restons asking for a statement. My original loan was taken out with Welcome Finance. I was sent a statement today detailing all the payments I made, missed, the charges added, my ppi being deducted.... everything was on it. However according to my statement my remaining debt of £779.77 was written off on 02/07/2013 and my balance was £0.00. I don't understand why Restons are chasing me for over £1300, have put a charge on my property, got bailiffs involved and wrecked my credit file for debt that doesn't exist. I have called to speak to them but had to leave a message for someone to call me back. I'm not sure what's going on, could anyone help please. Thank you
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,312Posts Today

6,115Users online

Martin's Twitter