PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

anyone live near a gravel pit?

Options
I've found a house I want to buy, it has a south facing garden with lovely field views, but there are proposals for the field view to be turned into a huge gravel extraction site. Although consultations are ongoing and nothing has been decided locals are furious that screening trees have already been planted around the proposed site. I wouldn't mind losing the view if screening was done well but continuous noise would put me off. Has anyone got any experience of living near a gravel pit?

Comments

• tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't lived near one but have some that I pass regularly and with all the traffic/lorries in and out all the time its going to be quite noisy , apart from the gravel extraction noise.. after they have finished they usually make a good job of transforming the pit/lake into a usable green space but who knows when that will be...I wouldn't buy if I were you but we all have our own priorities
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • Milliewilly
    Milliewilly Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    Options
    I lived in a house where our land bordered a sand quarry. There wasn't a lot of noise and you couldn't see it. The only noise you got was the reverse beepers on the lorries etc.

Heres a link to my old house (just above the bus stop symbol). The sand quarry is over towards the top left - looks like a large 'n' shaped green pond now but it was an active sand quarry till we left in 2006.

My pet duck Fred used to fly over every night to roost there.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1T4HPEA_enGB331GB331&q=LN11%209QZ&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl
  • TerryJay
    TerryJay Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    My first reaction was not to buy but then I saw the plans, the house is furthest away from where most of the activity is likely to be, so its just the general noise of the work itself that I need to find out about. The site entrance will be over a mile away and incoming traffic won't go past the road outside the house as comes from opposite direction. The gravel will be transported by sea via a conveyor belt system from the site to the port (in Brightlingsea Essex) which is 2 miles away from the house.
  • mufi
    mufi Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We live about .75 of a mile from one which was given approval a few years ago, long after we moved here, despite local opposition, so I would imagine any opposition in your area will be equally ineffective. Having said that, we really wouldn't know it was there and it's never caused any problems.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    Go visit during working hours.
  • TerryJay
    TerryJay Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    poppysarah, the site's not up and running yet, its just a proposal, but will have to decide about house in next few weeks. I've searched for similar sites so can go and check them out but can't find any as big.
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 April 2010 at 5:49AM
    Options
    The one nearest us can throw up clouds of dust, and has a lot of lorry movements. Probably depends what is being quarried. After they have finished they have become rubbish dumps, lakes, nature reserves, housing estates, or just left as a permanent scar on the landscape.

Edit. Forgot to mention, one became Bluewater Shopping Centre.
    Been away for a while.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport