ATB'S Frugal Foray to Freedom

Options

Comments

• atypicalblonde
    Options
    Back to grey skies here sadly.

However, I am typing this while lying in bed with a cuppa so I am very thankful to DH for giving me a lie in! In-laws are taking the kids for new shoes this morning, and I will spend the quiet time whilst they are out reading :)

Happy days x
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Another vote for sunshine! It's trying it's hardest to snow here! Fantastic 3bay sales!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Morning all :)

A lovely weekend was had, and only spends were £6 on several packs of firelighters :)

Today will be an admin, housework, financials kind of a day - the best sort :j I never did list a few more bits on eBay, so I am determined to do that today. Another £30 in the pot would be fantastic and push our January OP to £2700 :j

Cuppa needed first though I think!
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
  • atypicalblonde
    atypicalblonde Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    edited 23 January 2017 at 2:57PM
    Options
    7 more items listed on eBay and one has already sold :T

I have had a manic morning, will be making some lunch shortly then cracking on with yet more paperwork. Where does it all come from?!

Post edited to add - two more items sold, so the illusive £30 target has been met! 4 items still listed on there, which are the lower value bits, so if they sell that would be another £15-ish. Better money in my pocket than clutter in the house.

I have also been contacted about another piece of freelance work, which I would earn around £300 from. I have a meeting about it on Wednesday, so fingers crossed x
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Morning all :)

Well the mortgage company finally replied - our 10% OP allowance runs with the calendar year so we have around £13,700 allowance from 1st Jan-31st Dec.

The plan is to have OPd this by the end of June then stash the rest in readiness for making a big OP in January, with the rest saved to make a humdinger of an OP when the 10% cap is lifted next April.

So, to be clear on targets:

- OP £13,700 by June 17
    - OP full 10% allowance in January 18
    - Have the balance stashed in "offset" pot bringing us under £100k.

The 20s are within touching distance now, it feels fabulous :T

Have marvellous days all x
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Meals today will be from the stocks we have in, so no spends needed. I will be batch cooking a chilli later, in readiness for an easy tea for us later in the week. DH is away tonight, so salmon with cheesy pasta for me :)

It is freezing cold here but much brighter than it has been, hope it stays this way all day - I hate the grey days x
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Apologies for the brain dump of a message I'm about to post, but I need to get my thoughts/plans down:
    • One ebay item sold today and I need to package that up. Must list at least 3 more things tonight. When I am looking for things to sell, the question I am asking is "will this item not being in our lives impact upon our wellbeing and happiness in any way?" The answer is so often no. it's opened up a whole new approach to decluttering for me :j
    • Healthy OP made today - moving ever closer to the 20s :)
    • The only money needing to be spent between now and Friday is £10 on fuel and ebay postage
    • We have been asked a few times now when we are going to do X, Y, Z to the house. It is a little shabby in parts and could do with sprucing up, but it's our home and we love it. This was all sparked by a family member announcing at the weekend they are remortgaging to extend their (already very large) house. Sigh.

Once again, apologies, I'm not sure why I needed to get all of the above out but I have and it feels better.

Now, to have a cheeky Tuesday glass of wine or not...
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    I managed to get my eBay items listed and two sold overnight :)

I'll pop £10 of fuel in the car today, but no other spending needed. Steak & kidney puddings from the freezer for tea, with the usual assortment of veg.

I have finally booked a reiki session, 2.5 hours of massage and deep healing reiki. I've arranged it for the half term holidays when both children are at grandparents for a day & night. It's £75, but I already feel as if it's going to be money very well spent.

ATB xx
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,924 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    • One ebay item sold today and I need to package that up. Must list at least 3 more things tonight. When I am looking for things to sell, the question I am asking is "will this item not being in our lives impact upon our wellbeing and happiness in any way?" The answer is so often no. it's opened up a whole new approach to decluttering for me :j
    QUOTE]

I love this approach to decluttering. Very nice.
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,897 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    [*]We have been asked a few times now when we are going to do X, Y, Z to the house. It is a little shabby in parts and could do with sprucing up, but it's our home and we love it. This was all sparked by a family member announcing at the weekend they are remortgaging to extend their (already very large) house. Sigh.

I feel your pain ATB. We bought our house knowing that it needed doing up, and we are... it takes a long time though as DH is a bit of a perfectionist and we're both working full time - I have a friend who is much better off who said, quite dismissively, last time she came round that we should 'just pay someone to do it, it's not worth the effort'. As the hall is still in progress, several months later, I don't feel I can invite her around without her passing further rude comment! She's a good friend, but we don't talk about money - she has no idea how well off she is and definitely wouldn't understand OPing the mortgage. Sigh indeed!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback