Cost of calling 0844 numbers?

Comments

• Blue_Max
    Blue_Max Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yup!
    "say no to 0870" is a gr8 site
    I discovered them few months ago and never had to call 0870, 0845 and similar ones. The site often has freephone or landline alternatives.

I use VoIP. With most VoIP service providers, UK landline calls are free!
    If you get free calls, try a site called "say no to 0870" as it sometimes gives an alternative land line number

Frostie
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    edited 11 January 2010 at 9:57AM
    Why isn't there a concerted effort against 0844 numbers as there was against 0870. Many companies including SKY who make huge profits are now screwing us at 5p per minute, when their customers need to tell them their product is faulty! Plus set-up fee (connection charge). I recently had to phone SKY twice in a matter of days and it cost me well over £2.00. How can this be when we can phone International countries for 1/2 p. per minute ? Why doesn't MARTIN MSE mention these obnoxious charges and start a campagin against them ? Is it because he knows there is nothing that can be done ?
    There is a small thread on SKY/0844 here :-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=28691963

Also the website www.saynoto0870.com is having a go at SKY but in general there seems to be complete apathy about this! Oftel introduced 03 numbers to assist but we are saddled with more unnecessary charges by these money grabbing companies.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • ive got 300 inclusive minutes on a £10/month mobile, but cant ring my doctors for free....0844 my arris
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • malc_b
    malc_b Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    What really irritates me is how much effort it takes to work out the cost of call. Why? What are BT trying to hide (if not how much we're being fleeced). What I should be able to do is to go to the BT web site, drop the number I want to call into a "call calculator" and up should pop how much that is per minute, the total cost of a 2min call, and a 5 min call as examples (or some other times). What is hard about that?
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    malc_b wrote: »
    What I should be able to do is to go to the BT web site, drop the number I want to call into a "call calculator" and up should pop how much that is per minute, the total cost of a 2min call, and a 5 min call as examples (or some other times). What is hard about that?
    Not particularly.

Makes you wonder why Virgin Media doesn't do that for its customers too. Correction, we all know why VM doesn't.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Dinkey
    Dinkey Posts: 1 Newbie
    Just been phoned by the Halifax (have nothing to do with them) was expecting a call back from my daughter, something very important. I was washing up and missed the call!
    No message left, so dialed the 1471. An 0844 number came up told me to dial a different 0844 number to be de-registered from their list. I done so and found in reflection I just paid money for this intrusion.

When will the law become transperant on this type of extortion???

Do we have to keep putting up and paying, while trying to get over the very s*** these bankers caused in the first place????????

Their still making it "LEGALLY"

Dinkey
  • Hi,

I tried to register with barclaycard and although I made sure all my details were correct the site came back telling me I had to phone an 0844 number. I checked the call charges for this and they were 5.5p per min 9.9p setup fee!
    I think this is just another way of getting more money out of their customers.
    I have emailed them my thoughts and will let you know the outcome.:mad:
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    fredcat1 wrote: »
    I tried to register with barclaycard and although I made sure all my details were correct the site came back telling me I had to phone an 0844 number. I checked the call charges for this and they were 5.5p per min 9.9p setup fee!
    I think this is just another way of getting more money out of their customers.
    Welcome to the MSE forums fredcat.

www.saynoto0870.com shows a few alternatives to Barclaycard's 0844/5 numbers - the most obvious is 0800 917 7277.

The 'base cost' (what BT charges) for the most expensive 0844 number is 5p/minute but you're right, they are revenue-sharing.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Blue_Max
    Blue_Max Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 September 2010 at 5:00PM
    I am with TalkTalk and their charges for non-geographic numbers suchas 0844, 0845, 0870 are a rip off.
    Many months ago, I found www.saynoto0870.com that 'heinz' mentioned this website.
    It has saved me a fortune.

I also use a VoIP service by Rynga (Betamax group) that enable me to make cheap international calls to India. I pay about 1p per minute and get charged only if I get connected. Most of these 0844 companies charge you if the number is busy. No connection charge, minimum charge or anything like that.
    They also give me free calls for 120 free days from the payment date, to any UK and European geographic numbers, and geographic and mobile numbers to US, Canada, and some far eastern countries such as China.

Only problem so far with Betamax group companies has been virtually non-existent custormer support service. Make a valid enquiry and they simply ignore you.
    if you require service, Localphone is good; but more expensive.
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    I have been carping on about the cost of dialling 0844 numbers for yonks! We managed to dosomething about 0870, so what happens it is replaced by an even higher cost number. There is absolutely no justification for these charges! Let's start another cmpaign and ask "Say no to 0870" to do the same for 0844.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport