V poor credit history, looking for 4k loan. Own house outright

Options
Hi I have a poor history with a number of defaults from 3 different companies. I own my house outright and I'm looking to sell it. It's valued around 220k. I live on a pension of £1000 a month from work( took early retirement). Anyway I'm looking for a loan around 4k to pay debts and some small home improvements before I sell. Is there anywhere that would be likely to entertain me or would my defaults automatically reject every application? I don't mind securing my house against the house, but I do live in scotland, so does anyone know of any companies that would be able to help?

I tried two companies today but was told I couldn't get the loan because my mortgage was paid off...which I thought was strange?!?

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• bargainbetty
    bargainbetty Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure, but the sum is too low to be classed as a mortgage, so would have to be a personal or secured loan. If you have defaults, you will struggle to get that.

Look at how much you could have paid towards the loan per month, and start saving for the home improvements. Look to settle the debts when you sell up rather than refinance them now.

Alternatively, do you have the means to increase your income by taking on a part-time job or working from home etc?
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport