Building The Burrow!

Hello lovely MFWs!

I thought it was about time I joined you all! Erm, technically I'm still a mortgage wannabe (despite coming agonisingly close to buying several months ago), life's changed a bit since then (will get to that in a moment!), but I hope it's ok to join in with all the fun and games as I head in the same direction as your lovely selves. :)

At the moment it's just myself and Mr Merle living in a one bed flat (no room for even a little kitten, alas!) and since Mr Merle is looking for a new job (which is now highly likely to involve relocation to some far flung corner of the country), it seems best to hold off on buying until we know where we're at. My parents were kindly going to lend us money to help us with a deposit, but the more I can save in the mean time to reduce anything we need to borrow etc the better, so that's going to be my plan of action for now. Ultimately we'd love to build our own house one day, but that's a long way away... so I may be here some time! *gets comfy/tries to resist temptation to pick our curtains & save the pennies instead :money:*

So, a bit more about moi - I've had some quite rubbish health issues over the years, and have also done the whole debt thing, all of this was scary enough to make me realise that budgeting/being in control of my finances can/does make such a difference. Also knowing that I have a roof over my head that no one can take away from me is the major motivating factor for kicking a mortgage into orbit. My health tripped me up again this year in a pretty major way, so now I feel ultra focussed to get things going - the sooner I can get myself into a better financial position the calmer I'll be about any other nonsense occurring in future. Needless to say, things being rubbish over the years also means I don't have any sort of retirement provisions, so I would also like to look into working towards taking on a BTL (or three :rotfl:) in the future.

At the moment I'm self-employed, but I've been reviewing things this year and I've decided that I'm going to change the nature of my business somewhat in the new year. I'm cutting off the dead wood and getting more focussed on how I can bring more money into the household. Things are definitely going to get interesting in a few weeks.. I just need to remember (or rather, cling to the thought!) that life is an adventure and is there for living etc! I'd like to look into returning to college/university and finding a new career path, but I probably need some time to ruminate on this and have a good long think about what I want to do.

Oh, I should say, in regards to my diary title... it's not just a little motivation to myself to focus on getting to the glorious self build stage, but also about making a happy home (aww, I love the Weasleys, I want my home/life in general to be as joyful as it is in The Burrow, it is the quintessence of a homely home!). I'm quite used to not buying things, but I can see that I've developed a bit of a poverty/fear mentality about it, so I need to ease myself out of this a give myself & Mr Merle the odd little treat! When I really think about it, I realise that I'm actually surrounded by lovely, happy things - if only I would make the most of them! So part of the plan with this diary is also to get myself into the way of taking advantage of the wonderful (and free to me!) things life has to offer as well. :)

We're pretty clued up here when it comes to making our money stretch. Mr Merle is insanely good at finding the best deals, basically doesn't buy anything unless it's on offer (I'm not even allowed to buy chocolate unless it's on offer... but I waaaant some dairy milk, ahhh!), and we tend to buy things we know will last/get our moneys worth out of; (when we moved into our new place it was entirely unfurnished, so a lot of my savings went onto high quality fridge/washing machine/bed/sofa bed etc, so at least we won't have to worry about furnishings when finally get our own place, and nothing should break down any time soon - if it does, we have long warranties, whew). I do surveys etc to build up the pennies. Mr Merle's Christmas was completely offset with vouchers this year, so that's the aim for next year as well, it's made such a difference. Hmm, what other good stuff have we done? Oh yes, entire flat is now LED lighting (considering there were six lights in a teeny kitchen it's made an insane difference to our energy bills! It paid for our heating during winter last year, madness!).

My main aim at the moment is to build up my emergency savings again (first get up to £1,500 then up to £3,000), and also save as much as possible for the house deposit - having a larger fund won't mean getting a bigger place than we intended, as we're both quite sure we don't want to look after something huge, or have something that we'd have trouble affording to run, it'll be more like OPing in advance ;)

Blinking heck, I bet this post is long! I'd best meander and go find some pennies to adopt!
a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library

Comments

• Pearla*Merle
    Pearla*Merle Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 April 2017 at 8:10PM
    I thought I'd use this post to keep track of a few odds and ends, mostly for when the going gets tough and I need spurred on. :p

Things that work!
    Piggybanking, making my priorities a priority, buying local/in bulk, batch cooking, growing herbs/veg, keeping organised & the house tidy so I remember/make the most of what I've got, charity shops for presents/clothes, moving with the seasons and bringing gift exchange down to a more human level, yoga/exercise/meditate to keep my body & mind healthy (can then work & make more monies!)

Ooh, totals!
    OnePoll £200
    Valued Opinions £65
    Ipsos £40
    Found Pennies £11.15

I'll keep track of various money making schemes next year, mostly so I can try and beat the time it takes me to do them ie. I got 2 extra OnePoll payments this year, made another lot of VO as well, just by being a little more disciplined.
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • BlueMoo
    BlueMoo Posts: 424 Forumite
    edited 19 December 2013 at 2:35PM
    Hey you! Glad to see you have started a thread.

Seems like you are on a good path already, and hope you find somewhere soon.

How far are you off your deposit target?
    M3 Dec2015 #160 Target £150,000 (BU £155000)
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Welcome! Looking forward to following your progress :)

And make sure you take the LED lamps with you when you move!
  • BlueMoo, we've pretty much got our target together, but could probably do with another 5k at least as that'd open things up a bit and give us some more options eg. tip us over into something more akin to a small family home rather than flat (which we had been focussing on before) which would be much better in the long run really. Though of course that's all based on house prices here (which are rather steep!), so it depends where we end up... hence gathering as much cash together as possible just in case. :)

Beckyy, thank you! And yes, the LEDs will be the first thing that gets packed! :rotfl:
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Oh yes, entire flat is now LED lighting (considering there were six lights in a teeny kitchen it's made an insane difference to our energy bills! It paid for our heating during winter last year, madness!).

What brand(s) do you use? I bought a lot of Phillips SES bulbs when we bought our flat in 2012, but they have been a royal pain in the behind (almost all have died already).

We've now gone back to a mix of LED and Sylvania compact fluorescent ones (9w as opposed to 5, but they're far more reliable).

We have no incandescent bulbs left (even the fish tank has an LED tile) :rotfl:
  • I know we've got some Phillips ones, but not entirely sure as we've got a bit of a mix (took advantage of various offers!), will consult the other half as he'll remember what's from where and report back! :) So far all of ours have been ok, but maybe we've just been lucky?
    (even the fish tank has an LED tile)
    :rotfl: Glad to hear it!
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good luck on your journey. It sounds like you are off to a great start:)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Go Pearla*Merle! All the best on your adventure. Am subscribing so I can keep up with your progress. Hope your dh gets a great job in a lovely - cheap - location, and that your health settles down for you.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Good luck building The Burrow.

Love the Weasley's too.

Just finished reading Harry Potter books again I loveeeeeeeeee them. Will start watching the movies again too.

I am gonna start saving for a home in the new year too.

Dxxx
  • Pearla*Merle
    Pearla*Merle Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 January 2022 at 1:02PM
    Thank you XSpender & apple muncher! :) Dolly Rocker - I adore HP too, I probably read the whole lot of them once a year, they're the comfort blanket on my bookshelves. :D Good luck with your saving, it's so exciting isn't it? Let us know how it goes :)

I should probably chatter about some of today's MSE-related activities. Plumber came round and fixed the leaking money, erm, I mean pipe. Did a fair amount of domestic goddess duties (three loads of washing & then some) and a fair amount of general decluttering (found a box of toffees in the process, win!). Mr Merle is off out this evening, so I'm having a Me Party with Belgian beer and some nibbly rocky road while making good use of the Netflix subscription; watched Little Women (wonderfully sentimental and Christmassy), now onto Thor... ha, a bit of an eclectic evening. :p

Now off to chase up some freecycle people & list some more bits I came across in the declutter.

Note to self: tomorrow sort out the languishing veg in the fridge!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure