Cycling rules of the road, where should I be?

Comments

• I used to ride a moped and being on the other side made me much more aware of motorcyclists as a car driver.
  • rochja
    rochja Posts: 564 Forumite
    With regard to the cyclecraft book - which I too had never heard of - can I just say that it aroused my interest and I found it on click and collect through world of books on ebay. It is only £2.99 and the collection point turned out to be my local Argos store! HTH someone.
    Life is like a box of chocolates - drop it and the soft centres splash everywhere
  • rochja wrote: »
    With regard to the cyclecraft book - which I too had never heard of - can I just say that it aroused my interest

As a cyclist or a motorist?
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,461
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    jack_pott wrote: »
    This is why I think that motorists should be reading cyclecraft as well as cyclists.

But alas, what good would it do? Every motorist who's passed a test has read the Highway Code, then in most cases either forgotten its contents or decided that they don't apply to them personally ...
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Wait for the finale at 2.40 !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0_oSt8v8Nk
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • mttylad
    mttylad Posts: 1,520
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    so where do I position myself?
    In a car :)
  • Cycling is one of my favourite hobbies. When I cycling I faced many issues. Cycling cap should be used. Cycling rules will help you to keep our road safe for everyone. Cycler required a left turn. It really depends on traffic and the length of the road. We took lane according to area and length of the place.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,022
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I regularly cycle around multiple-lane junctions in London. What I find works is, get in the lane you need to be in at the earliest opportunity, and stay in the middle of that lane until after the junction. If a vehicle wishes to overtake, they can overtake in another lane, just as they would if you were in the left-hand lane and they wanted to overtake. I have never had a problem doing this - it is the safest thing to do, it indicates to other road users what your intention is at the junction and prevents any last moment erratic lane changes. In heavy traffic on a bicycle, you are normally travelling at the same speed as other vehicles anyway, so not actually holding anyone up by taking charge of the lane.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    rochja wrote: »
    With regard to the cyclecraft book - which I too had never heard of - can I just say that it aroused my interest and I found it on click and collect through world of books on ebay. It is only £2.99 and the collection point turned out to be my local Argos store! HTH someone.

I've just seen it on eBay for about £2... but it's a really old edition. The 4th edition (2007) seems to be £12.50 everywhere. I wonder how much has changed in the new version...?

There's a used copy here for a mere £599.00 (+£2.80 delivery) if anyone's interested. :p

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0092L9Q4E/ref=sr_1_2_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1398633095&sr=8-2&keywords=cyclecraft&condition=used
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What you are supposed to do is follow the rules which apply to cars; however, if you do this you will be hurt sooner or later, so what you have to do is go in the middle of the lane and hold up the traffic, thus making the car drivers who drive well as angry as the idiots whose life threatening ways are causing you to do this. The alternative is to get off your bike and use pedestrian crossings, only getting back on when you can have the gutter full of potholes etc to yourself
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure