Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• My wife and I flew from Stansted to Kuala Lumpur in January 2010. A few days before the flight, I received an email telling me that for "operational reasons" the departure had been changed from 23:40 to 04:00 the next morning.

Air Asia no longer operate any flights from the UK, and I can only find an address in Malaysia. Should I write to them?

Also, I have no boarding passes after all this time. Is it still worth trying?

Thanks

Mike
  • Just my claim with BA rejected as they say because its over 6 years ago therefore they don't have to pay.

Flight was cancelled from nice to london gatwick on 30th June 2007

Will complain to CAA now to see if I get anywhere with them.
    early retirement wannabe
  • I wouldn't bother, you definitely can't claim.
  • Hi,

I'm a first time poster - long time user of the site. I have tried searching the thread and looking at what I can but find myself a little confused still!

Me and my partner booked flights from Heathrow to the Seychelles last June (2012). The flights were with Ethiopian Airlines via Addis Adaba in Ethiopia. We left Heathrow as planned. On arrival in Addis we waited the 3hr.20min for our connection. During that time it was listed on the departure board but had no gate attached. We asked often of its status, what gate it was at etc but as the departure time came it's statud turned to delayed. We along with other passengers questioned staff for 30 mins ish only to be told the flight was cancelled due to underbooking. We were offered 2 nights in Addis till the next plane to the Seychelles was due. An hour or so arguing later with the rest of the passengers (as loosing 2.5 days of our trip wasn't on) they re-routed us via Dubai to the Seychelles.

We were originally due to land in the Seychelles at 15.25 on the 1st June. We eventually got there, having gone via Dubai with a long wait there, at 07.30 on 2nd June. I don't have the Dubai/Dubai-Seychelles flight tickets. All I have is my original ticket. We missed a night at our hotel, were 16hr late arriving, were offered no refreshment vouchers. Ultimately the journey began at Heathrow at 9pm on 30/05/12 and eventually got into the Seychelles at 07.30am on 02/06/12.

The site covers flights with a connection but discusses the first flight being cancelled not a connection. The flight I booked was Heathrow to the Seychelles, so it began in the UK and is eligible, but the reason for the delay is a cancelled connecting flight which was a non-UK/EU airline & airport. So should I claim a 16hr delay on the whole flight OR the cancelled flight and delay citing the journey as London -Seychelles and having a UK/EU start point? Obviously this also affects the amount of compensation as UK-Seychelles is 5000miles, Ethiopia - Seychelles 1490miles - or does it as the whole flight was booked in 1 as Heathrow to Seychelles thus it's a 5000mile flight... Confused :huh:

any help MASSIVELY appreciated

Stuart
  • We were delayed for 11.5hrs in June 2011 when flying from Manchester to Preveza (Greece) with Small Planet Airlines. The delay was due to mechanical fault and eventually another plane was found from Strategic airlines however by this point we had spent almost 12hrs in the airport with very little information and £5 food voucher. We lost a whole day of our 1 week holiday. I have written to Small Planet airlines on 2 occasions using Martins Template both times I've recived a letter saying my complaint is being dealt with and I should hear in 28days. I have not received anything else from them and months have passed. I have only found a postal address at Gatwick for Small Planet Airlines, they appear to have no customer service phone number as the are based in Lithuania! Have I any hope of getting compensation, what should I do next?
  • shuffles1977
    shuffles1977 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 16 September 2013 at 4:24PM
    Help someone we were delayed on a Thompson flight on 26 dec 2008 and ive just called them as I don't have any paperwork anymore and they told me they only go back 2 years. I did explain that on this website it mentioned anytime after 2005 and they stated that each airline follows different rules. Is this true or was he just fobbing me off. Also can I claim even though I don't have the paperwork anymore. Thanks in anticipation:mad: We set off from Gatwick around 9am and half way through the flight we had to turn back due to technical fault, we asked if they could carry on but they explained that it would cost too much for them to land in Tenerife and then fly out a repair crew to fix the plane so we ended up going back. We then did not fly out until 12 midnight that night, arriving in Tenerife and at our hotel about 6am the next morning.
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Shuffles1977 - wrong thread you should be on Thomson thread where your answers lie.
  • I was delayed by over 3 hours a few weeks ago, flying out of Heathrow to Toronto. We were told the delay was due to "maintenance problems"--in fact I went to the airline's desk, got them to tell me that once more and got the staff number of the person who told me (they wouldn't give out their name) so I could reference this if necessary.

My question is, should I include this information in the template letter that I send to the airline? Would it strengthen my case?
  • Hi I'm looking to claim from an 8 hour delayed flight back in August 2006.

The flight was with First Choice Airways.
    Is it still possible to claim?
    Did the merger with Thompson mean they took on First Choice's liabilities?

Any info would be much appreciated
    Thanks in advance,
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jc95 wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking to claim from an 8 hour delayed flight back in August 2006.

The flight was with First Choice Airways.
    Is it still possible to claim?
    Did the merger with Thompson mean they took on First Choice's liabilities?

Any info would be much appreciated
    Thanks in advance,

And I would like to be the first man on the moon. Regrettably we are both OUT OF TIME
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback