Responsibility for manhole covers?

In my garden, I have four manholes that provide access to a sewer pipe - that's a communal sewer serving maybe 14 or 15 houses.

Under recent legislation, Anglian Water are now responsible for the sewer. Clearly, if it gets blocked it is Anglian Water who unblock it as part of the service they provide.

So my question is - Does that mean that they are also responsible for maintaining the manholes and manhole covers that are needed to service that sewer? Mine are getting rusty and are going to have to be replaced soon. I would rather that it was not by me!

Comments

• For future reference, I have now received an email from the local water company confirming that their responsibilities include the manholes and manhole covers on my land that are needed to service the communal sewers that flow under my land.

Manholes that are there for drains that only serve my property are still my problem. Fair enough.

So the question becomes how rotten the covers have to be before they will replace them and will they do so sympathetically (to the garden!). Maybe more news to follow.
  • The end of the story.

Anglian Water sent a technician to look at the manhole covers. He assessed them as approaching the end of their life - though he jumped up and down on one to demonstrate that it was still quite strong. Then he checked that these manholes were really on communal sewers and therefore Anglian Water's responsibility - and then he said he would arrange to replace them.

Three days later, a contractor arrived and did just that. He had to change the frame that is concreted in as well as just the cover itself and I was astonished at how neatly he did it - the lawn was hardly damaged at all.

The contractor deserves a huge pat on the back and although I do not like Anglian Water, in this case they did very well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure