eBay Buyer Claims Item Missing From Parcel. HELP!

Hello all,

I need some impartial advice on a troubling matter that has happened today with an eBay customer. Some background. I sold an iPhone 4S on eBay over the weekend. I packed it well, took photos of the packaging and phone and booked delivery via eBay with Collect+. I get a message from the customer saying that the parcel has arrived but there is no phone inside. :eek: My immediate reaction was it's a scam. Anyway to give benefit of the doubt I asked the buyer to provide pictures of the packaging and box. In the meantime I got onto eBay live chat and spoke with them. They advised that I do not contact the buyer anymore and WAIT for them to open a dispute. I mentioned my concerns to them that this is a scam and the chat advisor asked if I wanted to report the buyer. I said 'no' as I can't prove things either way. So I got onto Collect+ (never had a problem with them in the 10's of times I've used them). I explained to the customer service rep what had happened. He mentioned that delivery was accepted and signed for by a neighbour. The buyer never told me this. I finally received pictures from the buyer and they clearly show something wicked is afoot. I personally would never have accepted or signed for a neighbours parcel looking like that! I have sent the buyers pictures over to Collect+ to review.
Speculations? Has anyone had a similar experience? Are eBay right to advise me to wait for a dispute to be raised? Am I screwed? :mad:

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Whichever way it goes, Collect Plus wasn't the best way to send an iPhone. I hope your item was insured.

You need to be proactive and although I have no idea what you mean by 'something wicked is afoot' I am guessing that something has alerted you to the parcel being opened before or after the neighbour signed?
  • electribem
    electribem Posts: 82 Forumite
    I'm afraid the item was only insured for the basic amount. £50. Something afoot being the top of the small package had been ripped open like a dog had been at it, then patched up badly with brown packing tape.
  • theonlywayisup
    electribem wrote: »
    I'm afraid the item was only insured for the basic amount. £50. Something afoot being the top of the small package had been ripped open like a dog had been at it, then patched up badly with brown packing tape.

Well, so no full value insurance then.

Do you know what state the parcel was in when it was originally signed for/delivered. I am guessing no, in which case the claim will most probably be declined.

Unfortunately you chose the wrong method of postage for this type of item, both for value and scam-ability.

You don't know who has removed the item or if it was removed. It could be the courier (on any step of the journey from shop drop off to delivery), the neighbour or the buyer.

What is the buyers feedback like, delve in their previous purchases and see if there is anything that may help.
  • electribem
    Well, so no full value insurance then.

Do you know what state the parcel was in when it was originally signed for/delivered. I am guessing no, in which case the claim will most probably be declined.

What is the buyers feedback like, delve in their previous purchases and see if there is anything that may help.

I took pictures of the phone and packaging before I sent it. No, I don't know what state the parcel was in when it was delivered. The buyers feedback is 100%.
  • theonlywayisup
    As an interim, get the phone blocked if you are able, or at least report it as stolen.

To help matters (if you suspect the buyer) let them know you have involved the Police and the phone is barred (or whatever the terminology is).
  • theonlywayisup
    edited 2 April 2014 at 9:01PM
    I took pictures of the phone and packaging before I sent it. No, I don't know what state the parcel was in when it was delivered. The buyers feedback is 100%.

Photos of packaging are not relevant. Unfortunately.

When you say the buyers feedback is 100%, that will be so, if they are buyers. But look carefully at the comments and particularly those he leaves for sellers. It's a needle in a haystack but you are snookered unless you can find something.

The facts as they stand, mean the shop, courier, neighbour and buyer can all have taken the phone. That's not a great scenario for any potential claim with Collectplus and even then if they do pay it will be for £50 if you are lucky or nothing if they deem you under insured.

Block the phone. Be very limited in what you tell the buyer for the moment, you need to treat everyone as the scammer.

Ask for the full name and address of the neighbour who signed for it, and make sure you let the buyer know this is for the police report.

Did you have any sort of traceability on the phone i.e. find my iPhone app?
  • electribem
    Photos of packaging are not relevant. Unfortunately.

Ask for the full name and address of the neighbour who signed for it, and make sure you let the buyer know this is for the police report.

Did you have any sort of traceability on the phone i.e. find my iPhone app?

I've told the buyer this. What a plonker I've been. :mad: The phone was wiped, reset and unlocked.
  • theonlywayisup
    I've told the buyer this. What a plonker I've been. :mad: The phone was wiped, reset and unlocked.

I'm sure we've all been there. Now it's a case if salvaging what you can.

Are you able to get it blocked? You do need to report it stolen and submit that report to the courier. If you use social media then use that to your full advantage, no one likes bad press.
  • electribem
    I'm sure we've all been there.

Are you able to get it blocked? You do need to report it stolen and submit that report to the courier.

Thanks for that. I got my carrier to block the IMEI a few minutes ago.
  • electribem
    I've also informed the police about the stolen phone. I now have a report reference number that I will be forwarding to Collect+ I was told by the police that this is a civil matter from now on and that I must seek legal advice. :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure