How to lose weight - it's simple

Comments

• Also, I DID count my calories precisely, as MyfitnessPal told me to, to lose 1lb per week. I also exercised, but on a lot of occasions, did not record this, or 'use' the extra calories I had 'earned' because I knew the calculations in MFP were generally innaccurate.

I still stand by my statement that weight loss is 'not that simple', although I have taken on board others' points, including the calorie deficit one. There are many things that need to be considered when looking at people's relationship with food.

For the majority of my life, I was slim. In fact, my mum worried I was anorexic at one point because I was bordering on unhealthy, and to be honest, I probably did restrict myself more than I should, but I was also very active. I put weight on after having my eldest at 20 and started my diet/binge cycle then. There were a good few years where I was generally slimmer without dieting or making 'an effort' to lose weight. I was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries and the symptoms that go with it at 25 and have noticed as I have gotten older, it has been increasingly difficult to maintain a healthy weight. I also went through a phase of binge eating at one point and was pretty much refused help as I wasn't making myself sick or starving myself.

In addition, as I say, I have dieted and binged on and off for the best part of 20 years now...mainly doing Slimming World. I can also hand on heart say I wish I had never set foot in one of their meetings, because I realise now that all diet clubs are nothing but businesses who want you to keep coming back for more..and the majority too. I wish as was as overweight now as I was when I first started dieting!
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,297 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I also think willpower is irrelevant. The research shows that most people who diet (95%), do not keep the weight off long term and that is another thing that needs to be taken into consideration and why it is 'not that simple'. Most people can ride out on 'willpower' in the first flush of new diet excitement, but it is not something that carries them long term.

While I agree with much of what you say, just because many people don't have enough of it does not make willpower irrelevant.

I wonder if a fair number of the people for whom various methods do work are less considered, because they are not now overweight and haven't been overweight recently either. Because whatever they do is working and not novel for them they may spend less time talking about it.

It is so tempting to expand from what works or doesn't work for me to what should work for everyone - but again, we're all different and for some people maintaining weight will be simple, for others anything but!
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • fireblade28
    fireblade28 Posts: 147 Forumite
    edited 20 September 2016 at 10:02AM
    I also think willpower is irrelevant. The research shows that most people who diet (95%), do not keep the weight off long term and that is another thing that needs to be taken into consideration and why it is 'not that simple'. Most people can ride out on 'willpower' in the first flush of new diet excitement, but it is not something that carries them long term.

And whichever way you look at it, calorie counting is just another form of dieting or restriction, no matter how people dress it up.

Please do not think I am berating you I am only trying to get you to see that if done properly it does work.

At some point you will have to restrict! Its the only way. There is no other way. If you are not prepared for that then don't start. You can still have all the types of food you like but what you are gonna have to do is reduce the amounts.

Because of your polycystic ovaries which are a hormonal issue this will further affect your metabolic rate which affects the number of calories you need. It may just be that you need a lot less like I said and if you binge say 1000 calories at the weekend then that undoes all that weeks good work. You also may want to go slightly lower carbohydrate as polycystic ovaries has an insulin component that will make it easier to store fat from them.

The hunger there are strategies for lots of protein and vegetables will fill you up longer (Protein is more satiating and vegetables take up a bigger volume particularly things like broccoli.) I also drink black coffee when I'm hungry and that seems to fix it. Caffeine also increases your metabolic rate which allows you to burn more calories at rest. Green Tea Extract is another good one that has been shown to do this. HIIT is a type of exercise that also does the same.

Work out how many calories you need and then reduce it by say 300 more. Try to include foods with more protein and vegetables. Pick 3-4 meals you will eat evertweek (I keep breakfast and lunch the same all week) and calculate it. Then just eat this for 2 months (Without binging) and then tell me you can't lose weight. Check you are losing 1-2lbs per week or check measurements are decreasing for girls particularly bum, thighs and hips which is where you guys tend to store your fat.

You may wake up sore, tired, hungry, can't be bothered to cook. But sometimes you have to push yourself through those. It will get easier once you make it a habit and the excessive hunger will go (Sometimes poor gut bacteria can cause this so probiotics or natural yogurt are great along with veggies)

I just gave you all the tools that are available. There is nothing else and there will never be. So you have to make the best of them.

Best of luck.
  • I don't think I've ever read so much denial codswallop for quite a while.

Just eat less folks, it really is that simple.

A report yesterday said people who rely on these fitness monitors lose less weight than those who don't.

Forget calotype counting, forget low fat foods, cut out sugar, eat less and get a bit of exercise, walk don't take the car, stairs not the lift.

It is easy everyone JDI

cheers fj
  • I don't think I've ever read so much denial codswallop for quite a while.

A report yesterday said people who rely on these fitness monitors lose less weight than those who don't.

Forget calotype counting, forget low fat foods, cut out sugar, eat less and get a bit of exercise, walk don't take the car, stairs not the lift.

It is easy everyone JDI

cheers fj

Have you ever suffered from anorexia? Bulimia? Binge eating disorder?
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I don't think I've ever read so much denial codswallop for quite a while.

It is easy everyone JDI

cheers fj

It's not that simple though. When I was a teenager I was about a stone overweight. So I done a diet - ate less, exercised more - however I didn't do any resistance exercises. With all the diets I've done I lost muscle as well as fat, so my metaoblism slowed down and needed less calories to maintain my weight.

So yes the principle is 'eat less, exercise more' but you have to make sure you're doing the right exercise and eating the right food. You could eat 1500 calories a day of processed or fast food and be hungry or 1500 calories of fresh food and home made food and be fuller throughout the day.

Now I'm a few stone overweight and looking to lose weight - I find calorie counting the most effective way of losing weight, and just need to make sure I eat the right things as well. But also I need to build up some muscle - which means eating more protein.

Things aren't that simple for everyone. For most people your philosophy is fine.

There is so much temptation these days and the key is to try and avoid the advertising, also so much extra salt sugar and fat added into food. My downfall is eating out booze! The amount of calories in some booze is crazy big!
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,297 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary

It is easy everyone JDI

cheers fj

And to win at golf you just hit that little ball straight into the hole in one or two strokes every time. Also simple... but not easy.

Counting photographs?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • The problem is though if you don't track stuff most people are really bad at estimating the amount of calories in food.

Im currently having 1700 calories a day as I'm cutting and its so little food compared to what I would normally just eat if I was left to my own devices.

I can easily smash out that much in one meal especially if I'm out.
  • Top_Girl
    Top_Girl Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

It is easy everyone JDI

cheers fj

If it was that easy, you'd be smallfreddiel.

End of.
  • Top_Girl wrote: »
    If it was that easy, you'd be smallfreddiel.

End of.

This times a million!!!😂
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family