Beijing, Xian and Shanghai in October

Comments

• tulip1_2
    tulip1_2 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Hello fruitpie
    We fly out on September 12th and return on the 29th. Flying out with Air China and Cathay Pacific on return flight. Starting to get excited now only 5 weeks and 6 days to go. I am a very nervous flyer so I can not say I'm looking forward to the flights very much, but I'm sure the whole experience is going to be amazing.
  • fruitpie
    fruitpie Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi again, you will be fine on the flight ....and as you say not long to go, so get even more excited ! I have been on the net all day looking at China - boy it looks, and is going to be a fantastic holiday. :j
  • tulip1_2
    tulip1_2 Posts: 24 Forumite
    fruitpie wrote:
    Hi again, you will be fine on the flight ....and as you say not long to go, so get even more excited ! I have been on the net all day looking at China - boy it looks, and is going to be a fantastic holiday. :j
    I am just the same I think over the past few months since we booked the holiday I have visited every web site and chat forum about China there is. Still to be informed helps make the most of your holiday. Hope you have a great time too. :j
  • I travelled from HK - Shanghai - Xi'an - Beijing in May/June over 3 weeks.

Look at https://www.english.ctrip.com which gives useful info. I found most ATM's are linked to international networks.

For Shanghai if you want a good view, go up the tower next to the TV tower (Jin Mao I think) as it's taller. Try to go to the cloud 9 bar - it's 1 floor below the observation floor, but includes a cocktail for the same price. Eating on side streets is dirt cheap, but look for somewhere thats busy as well. Also found that food courts were very cheap too.
    The shanghai museum is pretty good. I also went to the urban planning museum, essentially a propoganda outlet, but it has an amazing scale model of Shanghai and some quite cool interactive features.

In Xi'an, I totally reccomend the market next to the mosque. It's quite laid back, but remember to haggle hard (get at least 1/2 to 2/3rds off the starting price, maybe more). Walk away, and the price will drop too. If they let you go, you know that you've hit the bottom price, but there's other stalls that sell the same. We did an organised tour to Terracotta army - is easiest as is quite far out. City walls and muslim quarter are also great.

In Beijing, I was dissapointed with Forbidden city, thought summer palace was a lot better. Missed out the tombs - try and walk the great wall from Jinshinlang to Simitai though. Is further away from Beijing, but well worth it and much less touristy. I heard other tours went via 4 jade factories so watch out! Also go to the hutong (before they are all knocked down). If you need a new suit - go to the silk market. £35 made to measure (after the bargaining of course).

Definately an experience, watch out for all the spitting, and you will get stared at lots.
  • fruitpie
    Fife-saver, thanks everso much for your interesting post... god 4 jade factories would do my head in!

We have pre booked a private car through Thomas Cook to take us to the Great Wall and Ming Tombs, but have since realised that we could have just got a taxi guy for the day and paid him.. (would have been loads cheaper) - to late to cancel now as its all booked and paid for - ya live and learn eh ?

Reading what the other guys have posted, maybe we should have opted for a shorter stay in Shanghai giving us longer in the other cities !! Is there much to do and see in Shanghai apart from what you have already suggested... maybe we will need that time to wind down.

Terracotta Warriors - is it easy to get to - could we just hire a taxi guy and go by ourselves ? How much time do we need for that trip ? Are you allowed to take photos of them ?

Can I ask why you were dissapointed in the Forbidden City ?

Cheers :beer:
  • Tils
    Tils Posts: 303 Forumite
    Whats generally best way with money when you go there?

Dollars / Yenn / Travellers cheques or just use a cash machine (last seems expensive).

Also someone mentioned about train... how long does it take from beijing to shanghai...and is it well worth the trip for the view etc?
  • ianfao
    ianfao Posts: 144 Forumite
    You can get a taxi out to the Terracotta Warriors just make sure that you confirm the price before you set off and arrange for them to pick you up on your return.

When you get to the entrance be warned there are a lot of hawkers and people trying to sell you stuff. They all huddle around the entrance so get your elbows out at the ready to push your way through.
  • fruitpie
    Tils wrote:
    Whats generally best way with money when you go there?

Dollars / Yenn / Travellers cheques or just use a cash machine (last seems expensive).

Also someone mentioned about train... how long does it take from beijing to shanghai...and is it well worth the trip for the view etc?

tils
    we are taking Yuan, T cheques and our Nationwide card. Nationwide do not impose transaction charges. Not sure about how long the train journey is - but I think its an overnighter - see Voyagers2002 post.
  • ianfao
    ianfao Posts: 144 Forumite
    Forgot to mention taking photos. There are signs everywhere saying you cannot take photos but everyone does. Just be careful though if there are soldiers/guards around as they can if they wish to enforce the rule and I have heard of films being ripped out of cameras.
  • fruitpie
    yeah - it would be just my luck to take a sneaky photo and then have a heavy guard breathing down me neck !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure