The best time of year to buy a new car

I'm getting ready to take the plunge and buy a shiny new car via DrivetheDeal. However, my one remaining question is when is the best time to buy? Some say the end of the calender year will guarantee the best deals, whereas some say more pounds can be saved towards the end of each plate.
Please share your thoughts! :)

Comments

• Azmataz wrote: »
    I'm getting ready to take the plunge and buy a shiny new car via DrivetheDeal. However, my one remaining question is when is the best time to buy? Some say the end of the calender year will guarantee the best deals, whereas some say more pounds can be saved towards the end of each plate.
    Please share your thoughts! :)

for new cars august and feb, month before a new plate... nobody buys as they wait for the rew reg so the dealer struggles to hit his target set by HO.. ;)

for used cars december, july august all quite months at delaers due to xmas and summer holidays
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    On the other hand you have to consider reverse psychology...........

It used to be said that the end of the month was the best time to buy, as the salemen want to meet end of month targets. BUT they new this and saw that more people were coming into the dealerships later in the month expecting a deal, so they'd play along with it, give a lot of sales BS, let you think your getting a bargain and charge even more.

I'm not convinced that any time is better than any other. Going into one of these places assuming your going to get a good deal, is the single worst thing you can do.

Me? I don't go into them at all, I can't stand salesmen, it only takes one single word out of place and they'll not only lose credibility, but actually anger me by assuming I must be stupid.... But that's just me.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Strider590 wrote: »
    On the other hand you have to consider reverse psychology...........

It used to be said that the end of the month was the best time to buy, as the salemen want to meet end of month targets. BUT they new this and saw that more people were coming into the dealerships later in the month expecting a deal, so they'd play along with it, give a lot of sales BS, let you think your getting a bargain and charge even more.

I'm not convinced that any time is better than any other. Going into one of these places assuming your going to get a good deal, is the single worst thing you can do.

Me? I don't go into them at all, I can't stand salesmen, it only takes one single word out of place and they'll not only lose credibility, but actually anger me by assuming I must be stupid.... But that's just me.

dont take it out on the salesman lol ... its just the environment he has to work in... commission based.. anyone who is in sales and has targets and commssion will work hard for the sale but try and keep as much profit in the deal as they can.. thats their job... same for financial advisors etc, all selling something and earning commission

the company is in business and not on your side, just like Currys, Next etc so dont let it wind you up :)
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Reg_Vardy wrote: »
    the company is in business and not on your side, just like Currys, Next etc so dont let it wind you up :)

Oh you wouldn't want to see me in Currys/PCworld, if there's one thing I do know more than anything, it's electronics and PCs :p

Being helpful is one thing and I can even forgive someone not knowing their subject (to an extent), but when someone speaks outright nonsense in a forceful and confident manner, I just can't take them seriously.

I know it's easy to assume that a quiet person (as I generally am) can be fooled, extroverts assume those of a more introverted nature are dumb, but to quote a certain theoretical physicist "Quiet people have the loudest minds" and quite frankly most people wouldn't last 5 minutes inside mine ;)
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This is the best time of the year to buy a used car - if you can visit an auction, because most members of the public will stay away, and you will compete against dealers who have their margins to think about.
  • Never made much difference to me... As Ive wanted needed/something I've We've bought it..
  • Azmataz
    Azmataz Posts: 137 Forumite
    Given that the price set by DrivetheDeal (or any broker) is established up front without allowing for dealership quibbling, would it still be better to purchase a new vehicle towards the end of the plate year?

I've watched the price of this car decrease on DtD £250 since last month and wonder if this price reduction will continue to increase the nearer we get to the new plate. :D Alternatively, I wonder if I should nab it now seeing as this calender year is almost out...

I've never bought via broker before, so wonder just how much their prices decrease in line with plate timings.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    andygb wrote: »
    This is the best time of the year to buy a used car - if you can visit an auction, because most members of the public will stay away, and you will compete against dealers who have their margins to think about.

The O/P is looking for a brand new car...
  • Reg_Vardy wrote: »

But Currys,Next etc have prices on their items, and it isn't a complete pantomime going through PX negotiations, checking with the manager, pressure selling warranties, gap insurance etc. etc. when you come to buy one. :mad:
    ;)
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,510 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    The beat deals on new cars is just before they change the model.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure