PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Scaling cake recipes up and down

Comments

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I do it like killmymortgage too, but for flat items like tarts. When doing wedding cakes, you need to take into consideration the depth of the cakes as well to get the proportions right, but for this case I don't think that will matter,
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Let me know thw above and I'll do the maths for you :D

Penny. x

My good housekeeping book recommends that a 7" square cake is equal to 8" round, 8" square/9" round etc. obviously you'd just get a slightly shallower cake if you use the square rather than the round.

editing... and can we see a pic when it's done please!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Thanks for all the responses :D

Penny - they are all round tins - just about to start :eek:
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it :rotfl: )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)
  • Thanks for all the responses :D

Penny - they are all round tins - just about to start :eek:

OK, the area of each smaller tin is 45% the area of the larger, so using half the mixture should give approximately the same depth cake.

Does that make sense :confused: Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Right, the first cake is out of the oven :T That is the 6" lemon cake. The 8" chocolate cake has just gone in. I halved the ingredients and it appears to have come out just fine. Thank you to everyone for your advice.

Will take pictures on Saturday when they are all assembled.

Now I just need to go and frost about 30 rose petals :D
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)
  • dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, just came across this thread and realise it's too late... but wanted to post anyway in case it helps someone in the future.

The maths volumes theory is correct, but there was one assumption that was not quite correct. The height dimension should be how far up the tin the mixture is meant to go, not the height of the tin, nor the height of the finished cake. I think 5cm is a bit too high for sponge cake mixes, I would think 2.5cm is more accurate.

In fruit cake terms, a 6" round mixture is HALF of an 8" round mixture. I would expect it to be broadly similary with sponge cakes.

An 8 inch round is the same as a 7 inch square. It's not that the mixture is shallower, it's just that a square tin has corners so there is more to fill IYSMIM.
  • Just to update - halving the mixture was definately the way to go - they came out perfect! MIL was so impressed she cried :o She said it was better than her original cake. DH forgot to bring the camera so I haven't got a photo :mad: But MIL did so I'm trying to get a copy off her.

Thank you to everyone for your help :A
  • Hi there I just read the thread about scaling down cake recipes and wondered as you had such good results can I check...
    I am making two butter cakes the first is 8inch deep round and the second will be 5inch deep round so I am going to take the advice and half the recipe for the smaller one as it works well 9inch / 6inch so I presume that is right??
    How much did you cut the cooking time by - the large is supposed to be 45 - 50 mins so what should I do the small one for?

Would be very grateful of your experience!

Thanks
  • Realise I am probably too late... but I reduced cooking time by about a third - but keep a close eye ;)
  • Hi,

I am trying to scale up a 9 inch round lemon cake recipe, to a 10 inch round one. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Fran
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport