Can Severe Disability Premium be backdated?

Comments

• nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    when did you start receiving ESA and how much are your payments?
  • hi all i wonder if you can help i have just been sent a is10 form after been on mrc and lrm dla since january and esa for two years i have been told that i will get the sdp just wanted to know if i can get that back dated to january when my dla claim first started
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    gazoldham wrote: »
    Hi all I wonder if you can help I have just been sent a is10 form after been on mrc and lrm dla since january and esa for two years I have been told that I will get the sdp just wanted to know if I can get that back dated to january when my dla claim first started
    jane899 wrote: »
    hi im recieving employment support allowance and is in support group and im also recieving dla middle rate care. i recieved dla since oct 2008 and im going to apply for severe disibility premium will my disibility premium get backdated from october 2008 because of my dla?

Answers to both:
    You will get SDP if you have lived alone and no-one gets carers allowance. You will get it backdated to the date your ESA became ESA IR, and only from when your DLA Care became middle or high.
  • jane899
    jane899 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 2 October 2013 at 12:15PM
    i have been recieving esa support group and dla middle rate care and lower mobility rate from november 2008 will i get severe disibilty premium back dated from november 2008?
  • Definitely worth asking them to look into it.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,946 Forumite
    i have been recieving esa support group and dla middle rate care and lower mobility rate from november 2008 will i get severe disibilty premium back dated from november 2008?

contributions based or income based ESA?
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    edited 3 October 2013 at 8:39AM

You will get SDP if you have lived alone and no-one gets/or has claimed carers allowance to care for you. You will get it backdated to the date your ESA became ESA IR, and only from when your DLA Care became middle or high.
  • good news ther rang this morning sdp is in payment and been back dated to jan over 3000 in my account on monday thanks all
  • Scott_T
    Scott_T Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 March 2015 at 3:11PM
    Sorry to ressurect an old thread
    I have posted about this but still no replies so would really appreciate any imput

I have been receiving DLA MRC since 2005 (had to phone and get DLA to send me confirmation of this)

With regards to SDP, I was told that this should have been awarded automatically ....althogh I had no knowledge of it.although i fitted the criteria ..from jan 2012 to feb 2015 i had a carer, during wich my benefit was unaffected ...since my carer had to stop ...i now get SEVERE DISABILITY PREMIUM .I am now in the same circumstances as i was before i had a carer .(except obviously i get SDP now)..how long can this be backdated if applicable AM I even entitled to claim any historical underpayment ??

Or have i missed out due to time involved

Thanks
  • Ponsienella
    Ponsienella Posts: 127 Forumite
    flight747 wrote: »
    The government are considering to abolishing disability premium,
    severe disability premium and enhanced disability premium under PIP.

My brother was recently awarded PIP and then he was sent a form to claim Severe Disability Premium (which we completed knowing that he won't get it as I get CA for him and he is currently not living alone as he is temporarily living with me).

If he had fulfilled the criteria and been awarded it, are you saying the Govt could then decide to take it away if they are considering abolishing it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure