PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick Questions on ANYTHING Old Style 3 (See first post for links to other threads)

Comments

• rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    My SIL always adds the salt in a little water after she has been kneading the dough for ages. Always turns out much lighter bread. I have also added in the yeast to the dough later after having forgotten it, and it has always worked!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Yes, Yorkshire puddings freeze really well.
    Just make sure they're cooked thoroughly before you freeze them :)
    At Christmas, we have tiny puds (because we have Christmas dinner with all the trimmings), so I make lots in a mini muffin tin and freeze them in plastic bags, about a month ahead. They only need a few minutes from frozen in a hot oven to crisp them up again :)
    HTH
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
  • wannabe_sybil
    wannabe_sybil Posts: 2,845 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Can't get an egg to boil without cracking, DS has to decorate a boiled egg for school tomorrow and I can't get one to boil in one piece - please help!
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can't get an egg to boil without cracking, DS has to decorate a boiled egg for school tomorrow and I can't get one to boil in one piece - please help!

A couple of quotes from Ask.com which might help

"Boiling eggs without cracking them requires a teaspoon of vinegar and salt in the water before boiling. When they are done, the shell is whole and the removal is quite easy. Don't forget to use the shells for composting."

"The most important thing is to not jostle the eggs in the pan. Use a slotted spoon to set down and remove the eggs from the pan. Place eggs in a single layer in a large saucepan, covered with 1-2 in of cold water. Bring to a boil. After boiling for 1 minute take the pan completely off the burner. Cover the pan and let sit for 12 min. Then remove the eggs carefully and place into ice water til the eggs are no longer hot to the touch. The eggs should be perfectly done, with none of the greenish cast to the yolk that is the result of overcooking. Enjoy!"
  • wannabe_sybil
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Justamum - thank you so much, I will try that next.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Justamum - thank you so much, I will try that next.
    It's the temperature change that does for them the most, IMO. If you're not planning to eat them, then start from cold, definitely!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • wannabe_sybil
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Savvy_Sue - thank you.

IT WORKED!!!!! Cold water start with vinegar in the water.

Thank you so much.
  • wookeyhole1
    wookeyhole1 Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    hiya, I have baked a load of pastry cases today but dont need to fill them until saturday. what would be the best way to store them?

thanks xx
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    hiya, I have baked a load of pastry cases today but dont need to fill them until saturday. what would be the best way to store them?

thanks xx
    Hmm... keeping them in the fridge, even in an airtight container, might be a bit too long unless they're all going to be eaten on the day they're made up.

They can be frozen for three to six months.

Use an airtight container and pick your size so that there's not too much air space.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hi everyone, could anyone tell me if i can make yogurt out of value natural yogurt? or do i need a better quality one like yeo valley? i'm making it in the slowcooker
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family