IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Pre- Emptive advice

Just checking that the person who drives my car can safely ignore the newly erected smart parking restrictions in the area which said person has been parking for a number of years.

They are from SMART parking and I am in NI, am I right in saying should PCN arrive to me the registered keeper I can safely use it to light the fire?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Welll....you shouldn't deliberately keep parking somewhere knowing it has controls and ignoring them!!
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Just checking that the person who drives my car can safely ignore the newly erected smart parking restrictions in the area which said person has been parking for a number of years.

They are from SMART parking and I am in NI, am I right in saying should PCN arrive to me the registered keeper I can safely use it to light the fire?

Don't really understand what you said but in NI, they need to
    know who the driver is before action but that will not stop
    them giving out invoices as they rely on ignorance from
    the motorist
    Smart know this already.
    If you can, tell everyone in this area the limitations of Smart
    in NI
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Quentin wrote: »
    Welll....you shouldn't deliberately keep parking somewhere knowing it has controls and ignoring them!!

thanks for your useful advice, but not really what I asked
  • glentoran99
    beamerguy wrote: »
    Don't really understand what you said but in NI, they need to know who the driver is before action but that will not stop them giving out invoices as they rely on ignorance from the motorist
    Smart know this already.

If you can, tell everyone in this area the limitations of Smart
    in NI

Thank you, Confirms what I thought, That I can ignore anything I may receive.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    thanks for your useful advice, but not really what I asked

Everyone is politely asked to read up in the Newbies faq thread near the top of the forum before starting a new thread.

Ni residents are covered there.

The advice is to complain to the retailer but don't appeal.

Obviously don't burn any lbcca or court correspondence
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Is the car park in NI?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • glentoran99
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Is the car park in NI?

It is indeed
  • glentoran99
    Quentin wrote: »
    Everyone is politely asked to read up in the Newbies faq thread near the top of the forum before starting a new thread.

Ni residents are covered there.

The advice is to complain to the retailer but don't appeal.

Obviously don't burn any lbcca or court correspondence

Thank you.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It is indeed

While we are not a forum that encourages fly parking, or parking against the wishes of the landowner (as described via the signage), your assumptions re NI are correct - at present. Who knows what the DCLG review of private parking might throw out for the UK.

We see PPCs as operating on the edge of legality and decency, we encourage motorists not to follow suit.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I can safely use it to light the fire?
    Careful you don't get burnt!

As above: PPCs cannot enforce parking charges against the keeper, in NI (just like in Scotland) if they don't know who was driving.

That doesn't mean that militant parking won't come back to bite you on the ariss.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-39478203
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport