Real life MMD: Cat has licked our food, should we eat it?

Comments

• loulou123
    loulou123 Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    I'd eat it, no question at all. Ive spent my whole life with cats and dogs and when i was a kid i used to let my dog share my ice cream cone (he'd lick one side and me the other - which as a adult seems a bit icky!) Remember one day leaving a sandwich on a plate on the floor for a minute and returning to find a perfect dog paw print in the middle (he'd obviosly trodden on it!) and i brushed it off and ate that as well!

I've never caught anything off any of my pets, even as a child so i'd think it would be unlikely for you to catch anything off a bit of cat saliva.

I'd be more concerned about the lamb itself and why the cat didnt try and eat it - know when i was learning to cook, if something looked a bit "wrong" and the cat/dog wouldnt eat it i sure as hell wouldnt!
  • Cook it a bit more to kill off any lurking germs and then eat it. Give your OH a bit from the side the cat didn't lick and tell him not to be so pathetic.
  • Well, I wouldn't eat it, (just my opinion).
    Perhaps thinking about the £20 it cost you will help serve as a reminder to keep your cat out of areas where food is being served, in future.

Though, there is no need to throw the meat away. Cut it up into portions, put it in the freezer and it will make several tasty meals for puss saving you on buying tins for a while!
  • Furey
    Furey Posts: 27 Forumite
    Yeah eat the damn food, cats are pretty clean and your body is designed to deal with a hell of allot worse
    Debt free bangernomics die hard. Oldscool!
  • warbi
    warbi Posts: 6 Forumite
    I'm fairly sure playground rules dictate that if you lick something (ie. someone else's sweets) then it now belongs to you (similar to "shotgun" for the car passenger seat). Therefore well played, cat.

Seriously though, I'd still eat it. Maybe throw it back in the oven for a bit.
  • Jesthar
    Jesthar Posts: 1,450 Forumite
    shehen23 wrote: »
    Perhaps thinking about the £20 it cost you will help serve as a reminder to keep your cat out of areas where food is being served, in future.

Not picking on anyone in particular, but there have been several comments in the 'why is the cat allowed in the kitchen/on the worktops' vein. Simple answer, in my case - my house is tiny, and therefore open plan downstairs. Half is the kitchen, half is the living room - try and divide it fully and I'd be living in a dark, dismal shoe box! ;)

I'm blessed in that my cat is pretty well behaved and trainable, she KNOWS that she isn't allowed on the work surfaces or tables, or even on the sofa with me if I have food. The last time I discovered she must have been up there (she nicked a chicken thigh bone I'd forgotten to but in the bin) she got a good smack, and it reminded me to be less careless. But I never, ever find lick marks on used plates, even if I've had to go out without washing up.

My brothers cats, on the other hand, are a nightmare - turn your back for a second and they'll be after whatever they can reach! Thankfully he DOES have a kitchen with a door ;)

Me, I'd have smacked the cat and eaten the lamb, no question. Can't be any worse for me than what goes on in some restaurants, according to the insider stories I've heard from my friends!
    Never underestimate the power of the techno-geek... ;)
  • I'm very surprised that no-one has yet come up with this idea :idea:

If the other half is unwilling to eat the lamb "as-is" then treat the lamb as left-overs, which will mean re-cooking it and thus destroying any bacteria.

Googling "leftover lamb" will give you dozens (hundreds?) of recipe ideas from curries to casseroles.:cool: I know, I tried it!
  • Give the all the lamb to the cat as an early Christmas pressie ;)
  • I don't think pets should have restricted access in your home its their home too, but like it has been said you should be careful what you leave out on the sides esp.. cooked bones as they can splinter whilst your pet is trying to crunch them and can cause damage to the insides!! Instant gravy is also a no no as it is very salty.

IMO I believe you should discipline animals but a good smack is really not necessary, perhaps a squirt with a water spray or a tap on the nose would suffice.
  • Kelson
    I hope you enjoy the Lamb and are probably wondering what to do about the cat. My advice is that before cooking the cat you should remove all traces of fur; this is best done immersing the creature into boiling water-the fur should now fall off on it's own. The cat is now ready for cooking and you can use the same method as for the lamb except that you may wish to stuff it first!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure