Aktiv Kapital (UK) - Who Are They?

Comments

• BLACK HORSE LTDAccount type:Hire purchase/Conditional saleStarted:29/10/2001Default Balance:£7,099Current Balance:£7,099Repayment Period: Monthly Payment: £256 over 54 months Defaulted On:22/12/2003File Updated for the Period to:09/11/2008
    no record of ge capiatl account on credit histiry. have def not made payment since 1999 and no written acknowledgement of debt, but this above one crooped up, never been chased for it
  • GeorgeUK
    GeorgeUK Posts: 7,737 Forumite
    If you have made no payments for 6 years then it will be statute barred. There are template letters on the nationaldebtline site that you can send to them. If they phone, ask them if this is the statute barred debt - hopefully they will get the message that you are aware of your rights and know you do not need to pay this.

As long as there is not a CCJ against the debt then i think you will be okay. This would probably have showed up on the credit report so i wouldn't worry about that.
    After falling off the gambling wagon (twice): £33,600 (24,000+ 9,600) - Original CC Debt: £7,885.91

Dad Gift 6k ¦ Savings & Inv Tst: £2,500
    Loan 10k: £0 ¦ Dad 5.5k: £2,270 ¦ LTSB: £0 ¦ RBS: £0 ¦ Virgin £0 ¦ Egg £0

Total Owed: £2,270 (+6k) 11/08/2011
  • ouija
    ouija Posts: 31 Forumite
    Hi,

Great info here and thanks to everyone who has posted.

I was recently contacted by Aktiv Kapital about a debt of around £600. Because the original creditor was GE Money, I stupidly mistook this for one of my current credit cards and stopped a direct debit. I also set up a £20 per month debit to Aktiv Kapital to which I have made one payment.

I have cancelled the direct debit since googling Aktiv Kapital and stumbling across this thread.

I've checked the letter templates people are posting and I was about to send one off, but I'm not sure which to use.

Like I said, I've made one payment of £20 but I also know the only possible debt this could be regarding is about 7 years old, one I was never contacted about since moving back from University.

I've just signed up to Experian for a credit report and don't see the account on my report at all.

Oh, I live in Scotland by the way.

Thanks for reading.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
  • GeorgeUK
    Send the Scottish Statute barred letter from the nationaldebtline site to whoever is chasing you for payment. If no payments have been made for 5 years and you have not acknowledged the debt in writing, the debt is statute barred. Making a payment should not alter that.
    After falling off the gambling wagon (twice): £33,600 (24,000+ 9,600) - Original CC Debt: £7,885.91

• ouija
    ouija Posts: 31 Forumite
    Well nothing was agreed in writing, only over the phone. So presumably that means I still haven't ackowledged the debt?

Thanks for the help
  • Hi George,

I went to my debt advisor this morning for an "update chat "
    I told him I had been looking on the web and through the
    information on the 5 year statute barring rule I told him I
    was intending to send some of the statute barred letters to
    some of my creditors as more than 5 years had elapsed since
    my last payment and I hadn't acknowledged the debts till Feb 2008.
    He said that this advise was utter rubbish.
    He said that all the creditor has to furnish is a letter to me at my home address in that 5 years seeking payment ( even if I didn't receive it ) he says that in his experience under Scottish law
    any sherriff would uphold this as still active and therefore the debt would still be pursueable.
    You can see what I'm up against!

Ricky.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ricky38 wrote: »
    He said that all the creditor has to furnish is a letter to me at my home address in that 5 years seeking payment ( even if I didn't receive it ) he says that in his experience under Scottish law any sherriff would uphold this as still active.

Ricky.

Hi

You need to speak to coolcait or NDL or CCCS in Scotland.
    Certainly in England the scenario you are suggesting would not be proof of acknowledgement. In England and Wales, it requires the debtor to write to the creditor and ackowlegde the debt. So a letter starting "I do not acknowledge any debt to your company" is OK.

However we gets loads of people on here who have been told much the same as you but solicitors and finaical advisors, and debt collection agencies.

Will try and check the NDL site for you.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ricky

Unless NDL are talking boolocks, your debt advisor is talking boolocks.

See http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/scotland/factsheet.php?page=23_prescription_and_limitation_act

Quote below.

You can argue that the creditor is out of time or 'statute barred' from taking you to court for this debt: if
    • the creditor has not already obtained a decree against you; and
    • you or anyone else owing the money (on a debt in joint names) have not made a payment on the debt during the last five years; and
    • you have not written to the creditor admitting you owe the debt during the last five years.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • GeorgeUK
    Ricky, who is your debt advisor?
    (Solicitor, CCCS, Payplan, CAB?)
    6 Extinction of obligations by prescriptive periods of five years
    (1)If, after the appropriate date, an obligation to which this section applies has subsisted for a continuous period of five years—
    (a)without any relevant claim having been made in relation to the obligation, and
    (b)without the subsistence of the obligation having been relevantly acknowledged,
    then as from the expiration of that period the obligation shall be extinguished:
    Provided that in its application to an obligation under a bill of exchange or a promissory note this subsection shall have effect as if paragraph (b) thereof were omitted.

How i read this is if you haven't acknowledged a debt for 5 years (acknowledgement would be making an offer of payment in writing or making a payment towards the debt) and they haven't enforced the debt through the courts then no court action can now be taken and you have no obligation to pay the debt.

Ouija - i would say that as the debt had been statute barred, because you have made a payment, the status of the debt has not changed. It is still statute barred.

• rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Ricky38 wrote: »
    He said that all the creditor has to furnish is a letter to me at my home address in that 5 years seeking payment ( even if I didn't receive it ) he says that in his experience under Scottish law
    any sherriff would uphold this as still active and therefore the debt would still be pursueable.

'Debt Advisor' :confused::confused:

Ricky - I can only second what RAS has said. Unless the 'debt' is property related - in which case a letter from the creditor to the debtor can be accepted as 'proof' of acknowledgement - then the 'acknowledgement' must be not only in writing but from the debtor to the creditor/dca.

May I ask if your 'Debt Advisor' works for one of the Debt Counselling Charities or a Private 'Fee Charging' company?
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport