PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

A house for sale, floored & lined attic + additional work - regulations question

Hi,

we have viewed a house which has a floored and lined attic conversion. Furthermore, the corridor on the first floor has been extended and a wide staircase has been fitted. In order to do this, the owner has moved the wall of the master bedroom to accommodate the stair case and corridor.

There was no building warrant or planning permission at all, and since it was done in 2006, it couldn't receive a letter of comfort. The ceiling in the attic is also low (around 6 feet 3 inches) and their are no fire doors.

I know this can't be (and isn't) marketted as a 3rd bedroom. My real question, though, is could this even receive retroactive building approval? If it was just the attic conversion it would be one thing, but moving walls and building a solid staircase is another thing altogether.

I have questions as to whether this would present insurance, or more importantly, safety issue since I have no way of judging the quality of the work.

House hunting is very new to me, in case that wasn't obvious - any advice would be gratefully appreciated,

thank you,

g

Comments

• ethank
    ethank Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    You need to speak to Building Control at the Council about this. What have the sellers said?
  • kiddy_guy
    kiddy_guy Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It depends on whether the work predates any rules on fire regs, or building control - or more simply whether it met the requirements for that year.

For example my current house had an attic conversion done in the late 60's - but when I bought the house in 2011 I realised that it simply wasn't up to modern standards - the very bouncy floor gave it away :)

I then did a proper conversion, but even though there were no pre-existing fire doors, building control were adamant they were fitted now (though we did come to an eventual compromise).

I suspect yours sounds like it never met any regs though - the local dc should be able to tell you what is on their file.
  • Check with solicitor first - making the enquiry, in particular the council, (receiving a negative response), may make it technically impossible for you to obtain indemnity insurance that may be required by the lender.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    gubar wrote: »
    The ceiling in the attic is also low (around 6 feet 3 inches) and their are no fire doors.

My real question, though, is could this even receive retroactive building approval?

I can't see any building inspector giving retrospective approval to any room with such low ceilings.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure