What can I do?

Comments

• J33
    J33 Posts: 31 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2014 at 1:21PM
    badger09 wrote: »
    I haven't read through every single post in this thread but OP hasn't been resident in UK since 2011 when he/she was a student. Why would HMRC allocate them a tax code?

Exactly.The only way to do this (the fast way) would be if I register with HMRC immediately upon my return as self-employed (which I wont be thus not willing to do this).If not I would need to wait until I find a job .Last time I was job hunting in the UK it took me 5 whole months to get a job....

Btw I am he :)
  • J33
    edited 30 July 2014 at 1:43PM
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    It is at best very strange that you should be unable to get a tax code from the HMRC as every adult UK resident can.

Its very strange that a) you suggested that if I mention to Barclays my 4k capital that means I would ''bribe'' them b) that you implied with your last post that I am some kind of a fraudster.

Anyhow I guess you have always been a UK resident, but for people who are returning to the UK after a gap of many years getting quickly proof of address is one of the most challenging things to do.This is irrespective of ones citizenship.Go to any expat forum and you ll see how difficult it is for British nationals who are returning to the UK after many years to get proof of address.

Ok I am also suspicious of other people sometimes but at least I try to be polite when I dont know them personally.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    J33 wrote: »
    Anyhow I guess you have always been a UK resident

You guess incorrectly.

Also it is, as I said, dead easy to get your tax code from the HMRC, if you are an adult UK resident.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    badger09 wrote: »
    I haven't read through every single post in this thread but OP hasn't been resident in UK since 2011 when he/she was a student. Why would HMRC allocate them a tax code?
    Because the OP said they want to work in the UK. So once they do, they need a tax code.
  • Zkr65
    Zkr65 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Even if you are not a resident at the moment.. A) HMRC will still be able to give you details of when you were here previosuly I.e. you are still on their records.. B) They can still send you your tax office details before you start work, your tax code would simply be 'emergency taxed' 944L I think it is? But this isn't important, all you need is something from HMRC.. ask them for a breakdown of tax paid in previous years when you were here.

:)
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,200 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    Because the OP said they want to work in the UK. So once they do, they need a tax code.

Indeed, they will be given a tax code once they start working for an employer but they will not be given one in advance.
  • J33
    ChrisVonae wrote: »
    Even if you are not a resident at the moment.. A) HMRC will still be able to give you details of when you were here previosuly I.e. you are still on their records.. B) They can still send you your tax office details before you start work, your tax code would simply be 'emergency taxed' 944L I think it is? But this isn't important, all you need is something from HMRC.. ask them for a breakdown of tax paid in previous years when you were here.

:)

Thanks for the advice!!!Now we are talking:) So when I ask them for a written response this will automatically update my address with them since I ll ask them to post their reply to my new address?
  • gregor123
    gregor123 Posts: 43 Forumite
    J33 wrote: »
    Thank you guys for your answers.I am gonna first try Barclays Cash Card account and see how it goes but I also highly doubt I am gonna get anywhere.

Just a question for you gregor123.I see in their site that in order to get your wages paid in your Clearcash iaccount you need to provide your employer a standard application form.Cant you just provide them your bank account and sort code? I am a bit worried that if future employers are aware that this card is mostly for people with poor credit history this will kinda ''stigmatise'' me in my professional arena.

Also do you know if their credit builder service actually helps your credit score?I am inclined to use it tbh...

sorry for the delay. I highly doubt you need to give your employer a form... just give them your account number and sort code as it acts like a usual bank account. Also i wouldnt worry about being stigmatised - we are all the same!
    KNOW THE VALUE OF THINGS, NOT THE PRICE:money:
  • Zkr65
    Zkr65 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Yes, they will update the address, they may not issue a tax code as you would revert to emergency tax regardless.. but all you want is a correspondence from them.. whether it be your local tax office.. or, as mentioned.. ask them for details of tax paid when you were here previously as being the HMRC those records never disappear ;) you may even find that you are owed tax back from previous years if you've not earned over the threshold.. but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Be patient with HMRC they are ridiculously busy from the Tax Backlog and NISA changes.. so it will take time to get through. The other option is Home Office, as an EU member you won't need to go through strict immigration processes, but they may be able to issue a document to you, as at the end of the day all you need is an address + your name on a recent 'official' document.
  • gregor123
    gregor123 Posts: 43 Forumite
    I was lead to believe that Kalixas main company was something to do with gambling?? Myself having been in debt before did my research!!
    KNOW THE VALUE OF THINGS, NOT THE PRICE:money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport