Motorbike Dilemma

Comments

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MEM62 wrote: »
    When taking IAM training I was advised that the 'correct' way was the 'Hendon shuffle'.

Isn't that when you have your left foot down & right on the brake in neutral, then you grab the front brake and rock to the right foot to knock it in gear, then rock left and left foot down to get right foot on the brake to make that smooth start?

Skillful, but no-one notices when you get it right, but everybody laughs if you get it wrong, slip and drop the bike ;)

MEM62 wrote: »
    A good rider will develop a skill set and use those skills as various situations require. There is very little that is absolute right or wrong in how you should approach any given situation. Always ride your own ride.

Quite, and if you feel safer on a 'bike low enough to get both feet on the floor, then that is what you need.

Be careful of "lowering" a 'bike by adjusting the suspension, or using a lowering kit-unless you fit a shorter sidestand as well it won't be stable when parked.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    facade wrote: »
    Isn't that when you have your left foot down & right on the brake in neutral, then you grab the front brake and rock to the right foot to knock it in gear, then rock left and left foot down to get right foot on the brake to make that smooth start?

Yep, that's the one! Reverse left and right feet in this process if riding an old British bike :rotfl:

Skillful, but no-one notices when you get it right, but everybody laughs if you get it wrong, slip and drop the bike ;)

Isn't it funny how you never drop your bike when there isn't a crowd to see it?

Be careful of "lowering" a 'bike by adjusting the suspension, or using a lowering kit-unless you fit a shorter sidestand as well it won't be stable when parked.

• jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What is your inside leg measurement?
  • NatMast_2
    NatMast_2 Posts: 69 Forumite
    jaybeetoo wrote: »
    What is your inside leg measurement?

It's been a whilst but I'm sure it's something akin to 26/27 inches. Stumpy, that's me! I base that on the fact that 'short' rated jeans are 28 inches and they're still too long!

I think I may ride around on a 125 for a couple of years once I find one suitable for my height (Honda CBF125 was still too big!) but a local motorbike training company have a few that are lowered and are letting me have a 30 minute session testing them out (free). And then should I want an updated road lesson on that bike then I can.

THEN I should gain confidence on the roads and be able to do my direct access on a bike of my choice, that's also suitable for my stature!
    Does the walker choose the path or the path the walker?

Lift heavy & squat deep.
  • Arfa__
    Arfa__ Posts: 584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    At that height you need a short and narrow bike. My wife's in same boat at 5' 1 3/4". Many bikes can be lowered, but some better than others. Have a gander at these:-

KTM Duke 390. Tiny, lightweight bike (same a Duke 125, just bigger engine). Spot on for A2 license, so no good for full A. New-ish on market, but only £4.5k new.

CB500/CBF500 - standard and solid commuter bike, with loads about cheap. Not too high or wide, but can be lowered easily by cutting down seat, tweaking 'dog legs' on rear suspension, dropping forks a bit and chopping inch out of side stand. Can be restricted for A2, but alas, no longer powerful enough for full A license

BMW F650 / F650GS / G650GS. All very similar, except the F650GS which is really 800cc and a twin. The others are more predictable 650cc singles. BMW offer lowered seat and suspension kits, but aftermarket equivalents are available which will lower it further still. Tank is under seat, so centre of gravity is nice and low too. The G650GS is bit newer, but spot on A2 license, the others can be restricted, but crucially are over the 35kW limit so good enough to take A test on.

Ducati Monsters are worth checking out too. The old M600 and M620 can be had fairly cheap. Both fairly compact in design, and can be restricted for A2.
  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have a 29" inside leg and I ride a BMW 1200GS (normal suspension but low seat). I did a training course with BMW to learn how to ride it. Everyone looks at me and thinks "how can he ride such a big bike?". It is possible with training.

I'm not suggesting you ride a 1200GS but don't automatically rule out bikes you think may be too big. It is worth checking out the BMW bikes suggested above.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I had a MotoGuzzi 750 Breva that was a lovely 'bike to ride, quite low, and had the option of a lower seat.

I would recommend one, but mine got wet once, and disappeared in a ball of corrosion quicker than a Harley, the rear light actually fell apart inside and stopped working, but worst, there are only about 3 dealers left in the World, and even consumables such as oil filters are like rocking horse droppings.

Reluctantly, I got rid, and I still miss it.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • jaybeetoo wrote: »
    I have a 29" inside leg and I ride a BMW 1200GS (normal suspension but low seat). I did a training course with BMW to learn how to ride it. Everyone looks at me and thinks "how can he ride such a big bike?". It is possible with training.

I'm not suggesting you ride a 1200GS but don't automatically rule out bikes you think may be too big. It is worth checking out the BMW bikes suggested above.

Me too. I said similar in the OP's previous thread, but that seems to have died a death.
  • NatMast_2
    NatMast_2 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Thanks guys, it's nice to know that I may possibly be able to get the bike that I want in the end.

I am still stuck between riding a 125 for a couple of years and then doing direct access or going for my A2 in a few months. I think the on road experience on something smaller could be beneficial for me.

I could do with a refresher bike lesson already! I have to say, going straight to a bike and not a car or anything, I did struggle with the gears especially as I can be rather clumsy and awkward. My chunky boots didn't help. Does anyone recommend some slightly lighter boots - possibly with an insole in too just to boost my height up slightly?
    Does the walker choose the path or the path the walker?

Lift heavy & squat deep.
  • NatMast wrote: »
    Thanks guys, it's nice to know that I may possibly be able to get the bike that I want in the end.

I am still stuck between riding a 125 for a couple of years and then doing direct access or going for my A2 in a few months. I think the on road experience on something smaller could be beneficial for me.

I could do with a refresher bike lesson already! I have to say, going straight to a bike and not a car or anything, I did struggle with the gears especially as I can be rather clumsy and awkward. My chunky boots didn't help. Does anyone recommend some slightly lighter boots - possibly with an insole in too just to boost my height up slightly?

I believe I may well have posted this in your previous thread, but Daytona Ladystar GTX boots get a very good press from shorter female riders I know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure