Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

Options

Comments

• kooky3101
    Options
    I arrived late on a delayed flight from Johannesburg last Monday morning to be told that we had missed our connecting flight to Dublin at 7.55am both flights with BA.
    We were offered a flight at 1.30pm but informed the assistant that I had a connecting flight to Edinburgh at 12.35 with Ryanair.
    The assistant then provided us with a piece of paper and directed us from terminal 5 to terminal 2 to catch a flight with Aer Lingus at 8.50am. We arrived at the terminal and had to wait in a queue to get our boarding passes for 50 minutes. One person serving, supervisor or any other assistant unobtainable, with the result we missed this flight too.
    The assistant gave us boarding passes for the 10am flight and this was delayed
    The result was landed at 12pm and missed our connection. We had a six hour wait and had to pay 110 euros each to transfer.
    Because the difference in the actual flight booked and the landing time was 2 hours and 50minutes do we have any claim for compensation?
    I intend to write to complain, the whole episode was a complete shambles with no one really knowing what was happening and worse still no one really cared.
    Any advice will be most welcome, thank you
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This should be on the BA board but in short there is no compensation due
    Your contract with BA was to get you from Johannesburg to Dublin. They did this 2 hours 50 minutes late which is under the 3 hour trigger for compensation
    The fact that you had a separate contract with Ryanair for another flight is not of BA's concern, the contract with them ended when you got to Dublin
    It may be worth checking your travel insurance policy but this is the exact risk you take when you purchase separate tickets for a journey
    (I am doing an ex DUB flight in the summer but plan on overnighting in Dublin before the flight back to Edinburgh - additional cost but less risk)
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    This should be on the BA board but in short there is no compensation due
    Your contract with BA was to get you from Johannesburg to Dublin. They did this 2 hours 50 minutes late which is under the 3 hour trigger for compensation
    The fact that you had a separate contract with Ryanair for another flight is not of BA's concern, the contract with them ended when you got to Dublin
    It may be worth checking your travel insurance policy but this is the exact risk you take when you purchase separate tickets for a journey
    (I am doing an ex DUB flight in the summer but plan on overnighting in Dublin before the flight back to Edinburgh - additional cost but less risk)

I did this when flying from gatwick to belfast my previous flight delay meant i still missed the flight by 30 mins :mad:
  • japtrupusz
    Options
    hi,
    I received an email from Rynair that states 'All possible measures were taken to ensure passengers were cared for' which is a joke as they never cared for anyone and abandon us in London. Thy also want to give me only 150 GBP (out of 410GBP I have paid) saying that my taxi cost have been deemed excessive, as if this was my fault that in Boxing Day taxi companies charge so much..
    Do you advise to fight for a full compensation or agree for 150GBP?
  • Dr_Watson
    Dr_Watson Posts: 451 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    japtrupusz wrote: »
    hi,
    I received an email from Rynair that states 'All possible measures were taken to ensure passengers were cared for' which is a joke as they never cared for anyone and abandon us in London. Thy also want to give me only 150 GBP (out of 410GBP I have paid) saying that my taxi cost have been deemed excessive, as if this was my fault that in Boxing Day taxi companies charge so much..
    Do you advise to fight for a full compensation or agree for 150GBP?

japtrupusz,
    Completely up to you, but I know what I'd be doing and if you have your receipts your claim is verified.
    The fact that they are 'offering' £150 goes some way to admit that they are liable..
    Successfully sued Ryanair in 2013/14...and have been 'helping' litigants since then.

Current known score:-
    Dr Watson 35 - 0 Ryanair / Ince and Co

Go to post 622 on the Ryanair thread to read how to sue them safely.
  • smiley12
    Options
    Hi everyone

I've got a question, horrendous customer experience with Ryanair, probably like many other people.

Bottom line - they left us and 60 other people behind during the Stansted airport power failure on 22nd December, and stopped about 1000 people getting to see their family for Christmas AND more importantly for us - left my 88yr old grandparents on their own for Christmas :(.

We spent 19 hours in total at the airport - from standing in queues, sitting on floors, hearing our flight being called 4 or so hours late, running to the gate with other people, only to be laughed at by the staff saying 'your flight's already gone'. Then being sent from desk to desk, noone there to help, having to pick our bags and go back to departures, standing in a queue til midnight with 1000 other people from other flights that Ryanair left behind and everyone being guarded by armed police at the customer services plus being told the duty manager has gone home and won't be around to help, being told to come back @ 7am the next morning, asking about a local hotel and airport staff (the few that were there) telling us Stansted will pay for the hotel, coming back in 7 hours to be told to wait til 10, then being told (8 people left by this point clinging on to the hope to getting home) that there's 1 seat and being told there's no other flights til after xmas on boxing day to another city , not even our destination, and being shown maps of Europe to see how close we can get to our destination.

So Ryanair have refunded the flight, but not the other £600 in expenses including hotels, trains, taxis, a new flight that half of my family decided to book with Wizzair to actually get to our destination. The other half was too fed up with airports and Ryanair to not even travel and spend the remainder of xmas together.

They've also said it's 'extraordinary circumstances', getting them out of the compensation claim - which they should pay for the hassle they caused! How can a power failure be 'extraordinary circumstances'?

Any advice on what we can do? I've emailed Stansted too and thinking of doing a complaint with the Civil Aviation Authority.

Any useful advice will be appreciated!
  • Fletchasketch
    Options
    smiley12 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I've got a question, horrendous customer experience with Ryanair, probably like many other people.

Bottom line - they left us and 60 other people behind during the Stansted airport power failure on 22nd December, and stopped about 1000 people getting to see their family for Christmas AND more importantly for us - left my 88yr old grandparents on their own for Christmas :(.

We spent 19 hours in total at the airport - from standing in queues, sitting on floors, hearing our flight being called 4 or so hours late, running to the gate with other people, only to be laughed at by the staff saying 'your flight's already gone'. Then being sent from desk to desk, noone there to help, having to pick our bags and go back to departures, standing in a queue til midnight with 1000 other people from other flights that Ryanair left behind and everyone being guarded by armed police at the customer services plus being told the duty manager has gone home and won't be around to help, being told to come back @ 7am the next morning, asking about a local hotel and airport staff (the few that were there) telling us Stansted will pay for the hotel, coming back in 7 hours to be told to wait til 10, then being told (8 people left by this point clinging on to the hope to getting home) that there's 1 seat and being told there's no other flights til after xmas on boxing day to another city , not even our destination, and being shown maps of Europe to see how close we can get to our destination.

So Ryanair have refunded the flight, but not the other £600 in expenses including hotels, trains, taxis, a new flight that half of my family decided to book with Wizzair to actually get to our destination. The other half was too fed up with airports and Ryanair to not even travel and spend the remainder of xmas together.

They've also said it's 'extraordinary circumstances', getting them out of the compensation claim - which they should pay for the hassle they caused! How can a power failure be 'extraordinary circumstances'?

Any advice on what we can do? I've emailed Stansted too and thinking of doing a complaint with the Civil Aviation Authority.

Ugh. Just, ugh. I don't have any advice I'm afraid, just wanted to offer my sympathy. Bott and Co have been brilliant with me, and took all of the hassle out of the process.
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
  • Dr_Watson
    Options
    smiley12 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

smiley12,
    Ok i'll have a stab at this, firstly there's plenty of detail in your post but i'm struggling to see the facts.
    Flight from Stansted to where?
    Cancelled (i presume)at what point?
    Refund given by Ryanair for the affected flight?
    £600 in expenses including a flight that half of your party took?

Extraordinary Circumstances claimed due to a power failure at Stansted? If so then this would be classed as extraordinary and not something that is within the control of RA or 'inherent' using the terms and wording of the regulation.

RA should reimburse you for your expenses whilst you were waiting for your flight- hotel, meals and non alcoholic drinks etc.

I sympathise with the position you were left in- it does sound horrendous.
    Successfully sued Ryanair in 2013/14...and have been 'helping' litigants since then.

• benkaylamum
    Options
    Dr Watson. Thank you for all your advice this far. I submitted my ESCP to Sheffield Combined Court as advised....letter received this morning stating it has been sent to Ryanair. Deemed served on 19 February and the defendant has until 19 March to reply. I will keep you posted!
  • Dr_Watson
    Options
    Dr Watson. Thank you for all your advice this far. I submitted my ESCP to Sheffield Combined Court as advised....letter received this morning stating it has been sent to Ryanair. Deemed served on 19 February and the defendant has until 19 March to reply. I will keep you posted!

Pleased to hear it benkaylamum, no doubt we'll speak again in the Spring!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback