Firefox language pack

Options
Gers
Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
I want to download and use the English (GB) language pack on my new laptop and keep getting this error message:
This add-on is not compatible with your version of Firefox

My version is:
Firefox Quantum
58.!!!6 (64bit) Up to date
You are currently on the beta update channel

Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Could it be because you're running a beta version of Firefox, which is no longer compatible with old/current language packs...?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you mean the English (United Kingdom) Windows display language - as found in Settings | Time & Language | Region & language in Windows 10? If so then I have that and the same version of Firefox as you on my laptop without any problem.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    Could it be because you're running a beta version of Firefox, which is no longer compatible with old/current language packs...?

Yes, probably though I don’t know why I’ve got that version. I’ll have to uninstall it and do a new install.

agrinnall wrote: »
    Do you mean the English (United Kingdom) Windows display language - as found in Settings | Time & Language | Region & language in Windows 10? If so then I have that and the same version of Firefox as you on my laptop without any problem.

Yes, exactly that. Though I do have a problem.
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How about unistalling Firefox, installing the language pack, then reinstalling Firefox to see if that works?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »

Doubt it, the language pack for Firefox gives an English (UK) dictionary for the spell checking. Nothing to do with Windows language settings.
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Doubt it, the language pack for Firefox gives an English (UK) dictionary for the spell checking. Nothing to do with Windows language settings.

So why has the OP responded "Exactly that" to my post? It seems that it is the English (UK) display language that the OP is trying to install, and for some unknown reason FF is having an issue with it. Believe it or not, but we have to go on what the OP tells us.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »

No -- the spellcheck dictionaries are different to language packs, which just translate the language in the user interface.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/language-tools/
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Since the last update of Firefox spellcheck just would not work, does says it there. So I moved to another Grammery instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure