PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord selling / sold house need some legal advice

167891012»

Comments

• Good point there.

I think I would offer the tenant a decent sum for the kitchen (enough for a deposit on a new place) and then I would return their deposit in full after they had vacated the property.

If only You was My current Landlord lol

Would love to have a fair decent LL
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Slithery wrote: »
    No, you really wouldn't. You're assuming that LA's have some sort of training/qualifications but this isn't the case, you need absolutely no qualifications to become an LA, all responsibility falls on the landlord.

I knew about not needing any qualifications to become an LA but even so I can't imagine that many LLs would be very happy paying for an agent to produce invalid documents.
  • If only You was My current Landlord lol

Would love to have a fair decent LL

I would only do that to get rid of you quickly (no offence) in order to stop the house sale falling through.

I think your LL thought that he would send the S21, turn up on 5 March and wave you goodbye.

I don't know about your LL but it is shocking how many people refer to and think of S21 / Form 6A as "eviction notices".

I have honestly lost count of the number of times I have heard friends say "we have to leave by so and so".

Things is, where I live there are so many more people looking for rental properties than there are to rent so LLs are very choosy about their tenants and good references make all the difference.

Not many LLs would choose a tenant with a bad or no reference over someone with a good reference.
  • I would only do that to get rid of you quickly (no offence) in order to stop the house sale falling through.

I think your LL thought that he would send the S21, turn up on 5 March and wave you goodbye.

I don't know about your LL but it is shocking how many people refer to and think of S21 / Form 6A as "eviction notices".

I have honestly lost count of the number of times I have heard friends say "we have to leave by so and so".

Things is, where I live there are so many more people looking for rental properties than there are to rent so LLs are very choosy about their tenants and good references make all the difference.

Not many LLs would choose a tenant with a bad or no reference over someone with a good reference.

None taken... I would also do the same / similar for a smooth sale of the house, in my opinion a small investment like that would go a long way to making sure the sale completed and more than worth it

Yes I reckon that is what they think that they will wave Me goodbye on that day

There is so many people and so few houses due to the lack of HA / council housing nowadays makes it a lot harder to find one, let alone a decent one
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • None taken... I would also do the same / similar for a smooth sale of the house, in my opinion a small investment like that would go a long way to making sure the sale completed and more than worth it

Yes I reckon that is what they think that they will wave Me goodbye on that day

There is so many people and so few houses due to the lack of HA / council housing nowadays makes it a lot harder to find one, let alone a decent one

I know what you are saying about renting properties.

Where I live there are far more people looking for rental properties than there are properties.

A lot of LLs won't accept HB / LHA or children and strangely enough a lot of the LLs at the lower end of the market are the ones who won't accept HB / LHA.

Last year I helped to do a presentation about this exact issue at a local forum.

Long story short, in my area LHA (2 bedroom rate) is around £650 a month so I went onto Rightmove and selected all rental proerties with 2 bedrooms in the town.

I then out them into price order, lowest first.

Out of 23 properties, only one was at LHA rate @ £650 pcm but no kids & no LHA

The next 7 were @ £750 pcm but only two didn't specifically state no kids or no LHA.

The rest went from £800 right up to £2,500 (I know, ridiculous)

So basically even if someone could get a 2 bedroom property @ £750 that accepted kids and LHA, they would still be expected to pay a top-up of £100 a month. Not easy if you are on JSA with maybe one child getting CB and CTC.

(Forgot to say, example assumes full LHA entitlement due to only having benefits as income)

I came back to see what happened to these two "cheaper" properties the next day and they had been let. Just like that.

Sorry, I went on a bit there but I just wanted you to know that I totally understand just how ridiculous the private rental situation is in this country right now.

Ignore if this bit is too personal or the most stupid thing you have ever heard but is there any way that you could increase your income so that you have more options??
  • I know what you are saying about renting properties.

Where I live there are far more people looking for rental properties than there are properties.

A lot of LLs won't accept HB / LHA or children and strangely enough a lot of the LLs at the lower end of the market are the ones who won't accept HB / LHA.

Last year I helped to do a presentation about this exact issue at a local forum.

Long story short, in my area LHA (2 bedroom rate) is around £650 a month so I went onto Rightmove and selected all rental proerties with 2 bedrooms in the town.

I then out them into price order, lowest first.

Out of 23 properties, only one was at LHA rate @ £650 pcm but no kids & no LHA

The next 7 were @ £750 pcm but only two didn't specifically state no kids or no LHA.

The rest went from £800 right up to £2,500 (I know, ridiculous)

So basically even if someone could get a 2 bedroom property @ £750 that accepted kids and LHA, they would still be expected to pay a top-up of £100 a month. Not easy if you are on JSA with maybe one child getting CB and CTC.

(Forgot to say, example assumes full LHA entitlement due to only having benefits as income)

I came back to see what happened to these two "cheaper" properties the next day and they had been let. Just like that.

Sorry, I went on a bit there but I just wanted you to know that I totally understand just how ridiculous the private rental situation is in this country right now.

Ignore if this bit is too personal or the most stupid thing you have ever heard but is there any way that you could increase your income so that you have more options??

Currently trying to do that
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure