Portfolio Fund Assistance

Comments

• Alexland wrote: »
    According to my data Fundsmith has a P/E of 27 - the money has already been made on that fund, surely you cannot expect it to continue?

The S&P500 P/E is currently 26.5, so unless you avoid equities altogether, whatever fund you choose to invest in will likely have a high P/E ratio.
  • The S&P500 P/E is currently 26.5, so unless you avoid equities altogether, whatever fund you choose to invest in will likely have a high P/E ratio.

Even VLS 20 for example?
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 January 2018 at 8:36PM
    The S&P500 P/E is currently 26.5, so unless you avoid equities altogether, whatever fund you choose to invest in will likely have a high P/E ratio.
    Even VLS 20 for example?

No the shares in VLS funds have average P/E under 20 as they are globally diversified.
  • Alexland wrote: »
    No the shares in VLS funds have average P/E under 20 as they are globally diversified.

Even VLS 80 or 100 ?
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Prism wrote: »
    The only other things you are missing is a smaller companies fund and/or an EM fund if you fancy a bit more risk. I can tell you which ones I have so you can research them yourself:

[Lists the smaller companies and/or EM funds that he has]
    Sorry silly question probably but do your suggestions cover smaller companies and EM fund?
    Yes, silly question. :) that's exactly why he listed them...
    Not sure what EM fund is btw?
    Emerging markets ; as opposed to countries with developed markets

If you don't really know what you're doing with this sort of stuff, there's no shame in recognising that and just putting more money into the VLS80 which covers the larger companies in broad global markets (including emerging markets). The emerging markets content of the equities within your VLS80 is about 7.5% of the equities you have in that fund. However, as you've added other funds such as Fundsmith and the Japan one on the side - which only have companies in developed markets - you will have diluted down the EM content of the overall portfolio. If you buy more VLS80, you will increase it again (as well as also increasing bond content, reducing volatility).

By having your money in a fund such as VLS80 which allocates it to equities in all major regions (US, UK, Europe, Japan, other developed Asia-Pacific, emerging markets) and across asset classes (equities, government bonds, index linked government bonds, corporate bonds) it is like a ready-made portfolio all within one holding, right off the shelf. It covers the basic major areas you would want, and is far better than not investing at all.

If you are going to decide that instead of VLS80 being your whole portfolio, you are going to leave space in the £70k total to add other things on top of that (i.e., dilute the VLS80 holding with other stuff), you should probably aim for that 'other stuff' to be areas that VLS80 does not cover. Rather than duplicating the stuff it already covers, or giving more exposure to a particular country or company type.

The only reason really to add extra funds around the side of the VLS80 in a 'core and satellite' or 'hub and spoke' style, would be if you decide there are other asset classes or global regions or company types which are particularly under-bought by your generalist VLS80 fund, compared to what you want. If that is your goal, you could leave room in the £70k to accommodate them while having VLS80 be the core of your holdings, with the additional holdings just providing little tweaks to tilt the overall portfolio to whatever you like.

However, to be frank, it sounds like you don't really know what portfolio you want to create and are just reaching out to us for ideas of what you might like to use to create a portfolio you might like. That is a bonkers way of allocating capital. You are just as likely to do harm than good, when messing with the allocations Vanguard gave you.

The VLS series of funds is designed to be a whole portfolio of developed and emerging markets equities and bonds right off the shelf ; you could use it for an entire portfolio, or more experienced investors might want to complement it with something and add their own slant, if they know what it is they want to do and why they want to slant the portfolio in a particular direction. Likewise, the Fundsmith fund is designed to be a general global developed markets100% equities fund, leaving you to just add a few other things to balance out your overall asset allocation to what you want. The idea of buying VLS80, but then also adding Fundsmith, and then adding more Japan, and then going online and asking everyone around what extra funds they would fancy adding, seems like a mess.

You don't need a portfolio designed by a committee of forum members with their own tastes and preferences and no vested interest in your actual goals and needs. You just need to buy something simple that isn't too risky/volatile for what you can handle. You can do that by buying VLS or one of their rivals, or by doing a lot more research and creating something uniquely custom just for you.

With your level of experience it's unlikely you need something uniquely custom just for you. Following that path will just tempt you into doing things you should avoid - like trying to copy what other people with different levels of experience or risk tolerance have done, or just buying funds to stuff into your portfolio because they look nice in the performance charts due to having a high return in the last five to eight years when markets were rising rapidly.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Alexland wrote: »
    Even VLS 80 or 100 ?

Yes the shares held in each VLS fund are basically the same (it's a fund of funds) at an average P/E of around 17 - the difference between the risk across the VLS fund series is the proportion of shares to bonds.

Alex.
  • DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This sounds like very logical and sound advice. You describe a behaviour I feel I am guilty of and so think it would be wise for me to take it on board...!

• Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    You beginning to see the problem? We all have different goals and attitudes to risk. Alexland is worried about a fund with a PE over 20 - I don't lose any sleep about a fund with PE over 40 (btw your Japan fund is 40). Some people like bonds - I don't have any place for them at all right now since they provide such a small return. Some people need their money within 5 years and are concerned about a crash - others are looking for a 30 year + investment and will likely see a few crashes during that time.

Until you can be sure I would follow Bowlhead99's advice and stick to VLS80 and maybe add a small amount into a diverse fund if you want to assess your own risk level. But have a plan for your goal with it. Saying that, I am assuming you are coping with your Legg Mason IF Japan fund? Did you hold it at the end of 2016 when it dropped around 25% in little over a month? How did or would that make you feel? Since then it is up 55% but that's the easy part.
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Alexland wrote: »
    I have nothing against Fundsmith but that party happened, money was made, and now it's time to find something new.

The party is only just beginning :)

:beer: (with my half full glass)
  • chrisgg
    chrisgg Posts: 68 Forumite
    At this stage, it seems it would be over complicating things to add funds such a Fundsmith to your portfolio. As Prism has said, it is difficult given we all have different priorities and concerns.

If you wanted to split it between active and passive, you could go with VLS 80 (assuming you are comfortable with the above average risk of this fund, and have the temperament/means to hold it in a market crash) and complement it an active multi asset fund such as Baillie Gifford Managed. This has low charges (for an active fund) and a similar equity weighting to VLS 80.

Based on this, you could gain investment experience of both active and passive, and decide which style suits you best and the one you're most comfortable with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure