Laptop guidance!

13»

Comments

• WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    If you take the time to read posts your question would be answered

No point saying more

I don't think that it was answer to that question. Nevertheless, quite happy to move on from that.

How about the links to the £60 Samsung 850 PRO you mooted earlier?
    Now that would be useful. But you seem to pass over that request time and time again.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks but you might have to explain how I do this - when I got the laptop there was no Windows DVD, it was already installed on the HDD, so how would I run install the OS from a USB? Won't it ask me for a licence key or some such?

You can download Windows 10 from MS with no licence. There's a little program they provide, I can't remember the name, which fetches the latest Win 10 build and will write it on to a USB stick for you, or burn onto a CD. I think you need 4GB but 8 GB would be safer.
    If your computer came with Windows 10, you simply don't need a licence key, the computer's hardware is registered. If you get asked for it during installation, you should be able ot skip, and it'll activate once installed.
    I would not bother doing from scratch, just clone your existing partition,

It seems that the computer is pretty bogged down, so I think that doing it from scratch is a good idea in this instance. (yes, I read your post DavidP24 - what if OP has a virus he doesn't know about, just as ONE example of why fresh installs are good?!)
    There is actually a Windows 7 product key on the back

OK then, I think you already have instructions here to reinstall 7, then put 10 on. Make sure that 7 is Activated before you try to install 10.
  • toshi
    toshi Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 July 2017 at 10:02AM
    DavidP24, WAYT and other great MSE SSD users

You guys shared interesting issues. Please let me follow some, hope not too late!

Cloning vs. Clean installation

I have used both methods; both have advantages, it depends upon the situation. It would be a good idea to make a fresh installation with new SSD. You don't have to make a backup etc. (This would be the best chance to perform a fresh installation) on the other hand; you can say that messy dirty registry file fragmented Windows hard disk slowness would be overcome by an SSD. If you want to experience between Hard disk and SSD, you just make a disk-clone, then you can feel the actual performance improvement of SSD.

I personally love cloning and disk partitioning, call me lazy lol. If you have an OS image partition at the original hard disk, you simply clone (copy) this OS backup partition to a new SSD, you can make a fresh installation from a brand new SSD! So fresh installation will even much be faster.

Windows 7 to 10 upgrade is very messy (and in my case failed with a hard disk) so anybody who intend to perform this path, I recommend SSD diskclone method BEFORE upgrading Windows 10. Then upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 will be much quicker and stable without a failure than hard disk Windows 7. (again I am not against Windows 10 fresh installation , it really depends)

So whatever you do, the first thing you need is to install an SSD lol. You would realise the most of unknown your computer problems may be caused by slow hard disk...

Toshiba Q300

As DavidP24 observed, Toshiba Q300 used to have very serious quality issue, but I have found out that Toshiba Q300 has 2 versions, using different NAND memory.

To WAYT, you said you have 3 Toshiba Q300s, please let me know these product codes? Which one have you got? HDTS7 or HDTS8 or both? After making confirmation, I would be able to update Toshiba Q300 information.

Last not least, please share your SSD experiences and tips at the SSD thread, I want to keep alive this one :) I am going to post my SSD installation diary there. (I will install an SSD at my volunteer workshop soon)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5653629

Happy SSD computing :)
  • psychic_teabag
    psychic_teabag Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    jonewer wrote: »
    Thanks for the input

15" would probably be better for the occasional office use.

Just plug into an external monitor when you want to do office stuff ?

We have an eeepc (= tiny screen), but OH used it daily for work (as a thin client) by just plugging in a real mouse, keyboard and monitor.
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    toshi wrote: »
    davidp24, wayt and other great mse ssd users

toshiba q300

as davidp24 observed, toshiba q300 used to have very serious quality issue, but i have found out that toshiba q300 has 2 versions, using different nand memory.

To wayt, you said you have 3 toshiba q300s, please let me know these product codes? Which one have you got? Hdts7 or hdts8 or both? After making confirmation, i would be able to update toshiba q300 information.

Happy ssd computing :)

hdts8

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family