Everyday Ordinary Man Approaching Full Retirement at 59.

Options

Comments

• WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    I could have done this pre retirement, but didn't - I have a small Thermocafe Thermos flask, which I'm taking upstairs with me at bedtime. It's still hot in the morning, so hot water in bed to rehydrate starts the day off healthily and feels a small luxury to enjoy without any effort or fuss! A simple pleasure!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dear all
    Thirteen more work days until June 30th. Workload easing as my teaching groups take their exams. Tutoring profile online ready for October onwards, signed up to invigilate exams at school from September if needed. Have also said that I would do the occasional supply in my old department but only should they be unable to cover absence themselves. OFSTED been in this week where my lesson was given very favourable comments. Pleased to be finishing on a positive note!
    Been looking about and there seems to be plenty of other temporary/part-time work should it be required. Only looking for interesting posts without too much responsibility!
    First of all though looking forward to resting from July to September.
    Keep the news, views and plans coming!
  • bournefree
    bournefree Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    Wow, it's working out so well for you, really pleased for you!

May has been a busy month for me. I have done the deed and accepted voluntary severance for the end of July 2018, which will be 6 months before I am 60, so aim to defer taking my TPS pension until then to avoid it being actuarially reduced. I far preferred to go at a time of my choosing on a better deal, rather than being made compulsorily redundant with the statutory minimum. So I've just got to hang in there for another year, which I think will give me time to gradually get used to the idea. My husband left his job - it was the right thing for him to do, so we've had to rethink finances. I paid off my mortgage with some money from my ISA, rejigged our accounts so we now have a joint one for all our bills out (handy when one of us dies, though we're not planning on that just yet!), and one each for personal spending. I think this will be very useful as we get used to having less money coming in over the next few months, and also when I retire. On another note, booked a longish holiday in Crete for this summer - we both need it!
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    edited 25 May 2017 at 7:17AM
    Options
    All sounding very positive, Paul, and how good is that to have your professionalism and expertise recognised.

My post about the hot drink first thing in the morning wasn't completely off topic... I'm an early awakener in the mornings, and before my recent retirement I would be up and doing no matter how early it was. Nowadays, being able to relax with a cuppa without leaving the bed, and not behaving like an electric hare out of a trap feels brilliant. It's no doubt far better for me than being fuelled from the point of waking up by adrenaline and pressure!

I am now booked for the grand tour of rellies down under. This is planned spending and will be great to catch up with all concerned. Any sightseeing will be incidental to simply hanging out with my VIP's. It's wonderful to have Skype, Messenger etc but nothing beats time spent in each other's company.

I've also resurrected an interest in needlecrafts of various kinds. Very MSE as I have a whole cupboard of supplies. The project I'm currently enjoying has been in abeyance for approx 17 years! Great to have the time to resurrect old enjoyments, and to feed bits of myself which fell prey to demands on time and energy whilst working.

P.S. Great plans bournefree! You sound really happy, and the break in Crete sounds fab!
  • bournefree
    Options
    Not long to go now for you Paul!
  • System
    edited 15 June 2017 at 2:38PM
    Options
    Bournefree
    Funnily enough was just thinking that myself as I lay in the garden on one of my two days off this week! Yes two weeks tomorrow I finish after some 36 years in the profession! Looking forward to a good rest for 3 months. Only negative at moment is may have to have kidney stones removed yet again under general anaesthetic. Be the 5th time! Luckily it's only day surgery and recovery is usually quite quick! I won't tell you how they get in there!
    I am available for tutoring from October and have put myself on the school exam invigilator list. Not considering supply but would help out my old department only in an emergency. However the choice is now mine.
    I feel a little strange about the deadline approaching but not in a bad way.
    Finances are looking ok. Just sent in paperwork for a teachers short service annuity to be added on to my current pension. It wont be a lot for the extra part-time year but I will be happy for even £20 a month index linked for life!
    So plan is to relax, do some sorting and enjoy the summer. May go on holiday September/October if all medical stuff is sorted by then. Should be as I have no symptoms and it's pretty routine.
    Have also given permission for a claims company to check if I am owed any PPI. I hesitated but thought if I get anything it's money I didn't know I had. Their fees if I get anything are ridiculous but as I said it's something I wouldn't have done myself so I am happy to wait and see.
    My low risk S&S ISA is doing well at moment so that's a plus too. I will not meet my savings target but quite relaxed about that too.
    With all the recent terrible events just being alive and enjoying the weather is just fine! Also won £25 on the premium bonds this month. Second time this year!
    Hopefully by August all possible tax issues will be sorted as a result of going to just a pension. May be in line for a little rebate too!
    Would be great to hear from others about how their plans and finances are progressing.
    Take care.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck paul, only a few more days now - I'm really quite jealous.

I think I could go now - the big thing that is stopping me is letting go of staff, some of them have been with me for over 20 years.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    excelpaul wrote: »
    OFSTED been in this week where my lesson was given very favourable comments. Pleased to be finishing on a positive note!
    So were mine, but the most satisfying experience came some years later when I was 'retired' and on supply.

The OFSTED bod slid into a comfy chair at the back of the class, just got himself comfortable, clipboard at the ready, when I interrupted my spiel to add, "Er..excuse me, I think you may be expecting to see the class next door to this one, who will probably be doing something much more interesting than we are!" :rotfl:
  • System
    Options
    Just under a week to go! Next Friday morning there will be a brief presentation during our weekly briefing. At lunchtime I believe a reception has been arranged for current and past members of staff(from previous school too) to drop in to say goodbye and on Sunday an afternoon tea for members of my department. Absolutely fine for me as I really want things to be fairly low key.
    Looking forward to these events.
    I have also been asked about exam invigilation next year and occasional supply within my faculty which is fine by me!
    Will let you know how things go. Have a good week.
  • bournefree
    Options
    Enjoy your last week Paul!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business