Wages overpayment

mac.d
mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
If I have contacted my manager and payroll to notify them of an overpayment in my wages, and they've not deducted it within the next two months despite them saying it would be deducted off my next wage, should there be any onus on me to contact them again? I feel bad about having been paid this money I'm not due, but I've already made 3 or 4 calls to try and sort it initially, so don't think I should be chasing them up?

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    mac.d wrote: »
    If I have contacted my manager and payroll to notify them of an overpayment in my wages, and they've not deducted it within the next two months despite them saying it would be deducted off my next wage, should there be any onus on me to contact them again? I feel bad about having been paid this money I'm not due, but I've already made 3 or 4 calls to try and sort it initially, so don't think I should be chasing them up?

Regardless of whether you chase them up, they have 6 years where they can take it back. It'll never 'become yours' because you rang a few times.

Just keep it aside, and yeah, probably call them again. It takes two seconds. Don't act like it's the most arduous thing you've ever done in your life.
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There seems a lot of similar over-payments being reported on MSE over the past couple of months.

Do not rely on phone calls.

Put it in writing and obviously keep a copy.

If by email, seek a delivery and read receipt (though they aren't guaranteed to be actioned) and if by RM you could get a certificate of posting from the PO counter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure