emptying out engine coolant/flushing Ford KA

BigBouncyBall
BigBouncyBall Posts: 1,937 Forumite
Anybody know how to do this? I haven't got the Haynes guide!
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

• steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    bottom hose off the raditor and catch it in a old tub of some kind for safe disposal ;)

edit some cars have a small screw in the side of the rad..but the above works
  • cc25
    cc25 Posts: 316 Forumite
    The following info from the Ford TIS (technical Information System) might help:-

Cooling System Draining, Filling and Bleeding — 1.25L/1.3L Endura E/1.4L/1.6L/1.8L Endura DE Diesel (241220)

Drain

1. WARNING:
    When releasing the system pressure, cover the coolant expansion tank cap with a thick cloth to prevent the possibility of coolant scalding.

Relieve the cooling system pressure.

Unscrew the coolant expansion tank cap slowly.

2. Remove the coolant expansion tank cap.

3. Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to «Section 100-02».

4. Remove the radiator undershield.

5. Remove the radiator drain plug.

Drain the coolant into a suitable container.

6. Refit the radiator drain plug when all coolant has drained.

7. Install the radiator undershield.

8. Lower the vehicle.

Refill

1. Note:
    For vehicles with a diesel engine, it is necessary to add a further one litre of coolant above the MAX mark to make sure that the correct level is achieved after the system degasses.

Refill the coolant expansion tank to the MAX mark.

2. Start the engine and run until normal operating temperature is achieved. Check for coolant leaks and add coolant if necessary.
    People are more important than things
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Anybody know how to do this? I haven't got the Haynes guide!

Please let us know how hard it is as I need to do our Ka at the weekend, that and change the heater valve yet again! :mad:
  • BigBouncyBall
    BigBouncyBall Posts: 1,937 Forumite
    thanks guys. i'll try this tomorrow. i was *nearly* there today. Though i was trying to find the radiator tap and thought i found it but i think i was trying to unscrew a bolt that was either welded or not meant to be unscrewed!!

I'll look on the side of the radiator this time and let you know how it went keith!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure