Car Wont Start - how do i get it to garage?

flea72
flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
the garage i need to take my car to, doesnt do recovery. they suggested i use a friend/relative who has breakdown cover, and use that to get myself towed in, but i dont know anyone who has this

their next suggestion was to get a tow, but i dont know anyone who has a large enough car to be able to tow mine

ive tried googling 'vehicle recovery and breakdown', but all i get is AA, RAC, etc. and all their sites say you cannot take out a policy if the car is in a breakdown situation. Im not sure i want to take out a a policy either, and the website doesnt mention they offer assistance, if you arent a member. so do they do one-off collection/delivery, and what would the costs be? i only need to transport the car about 1 mile

Flea

Comments

• take out the relevant cover and wait a bit, or look in the yellow pages for recovery firms/garages with a truck

when i was younger we used to push broken down cars with another car!
  • mluton
    mluton Posts: 796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    look in the yellow pages for recovery firms/garages with a truck

We did this, find a local one, IIRC it only cost us £30 to get it to the garage.
  • This is why I am in the rac, truly not meaning to be clever but that little bit each month ensures you don't have expensive call out fees.

Have you get anyone who can tow you?
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 6 October 2009 at 10:32AM
    Look up "breakdown recovery" in your yellow pages.

(Couldn't you ask down at your local for someone in the RAC (most members have personal membership not connected to a particular car) to help you out for a tenner and a pint?)
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    flea72 wrote: »
    the garage i need to take my car to, doesnt do recovery. they suggested i use a friend/relative who has breakdown cover, and use that to get myself towed in, but i dont know anyone who has this

Flea

Why does it need to go to one particular garage?

Could no one else fix it? A mobile mechanic perhaps?
  • mluton
    mluton Posts: 796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Or ask the garage to collect it ?
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    My Dad did this a few years back. Broke down away from home but just left it there and got a friend to pick him up.

When he got home he took out AA cover. Waited a week and then went back to the car and called the AA. Luckily he'd broken down on a residential street so the car didn't look out of place there.

Good job he did join he had them out loads of times after that.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Why does it need to go to one particular garage?

Could no one else fix it? A mobile mechanic perhaps?

it doesnt need to go to one particular garage, but when you find one who you can trust, you prefer to keep using them

It needs a new ecu, and i assume only a main dealer would have the software to programme them anyway?

Flea
  • gordikin
    gordikin Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    Is the garage you want to take it to a mean dealer, if so I'm really surprised they don't do 'recovery'.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    flea72 wrote: »
    it doesnt need to go to one particular garage, but when you find one who you can trust, you prefer to keep using them

It needs a new ecu, and i assume only a main dealer would have the software to programme them anyway?

Flea

I wouldn't have thought so. What car is it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure