School charging interest on purchases?

Options
Is it likely that a school would have a consumer credit licence? Or do they even need one?
The reason I ask is that my Son regularly comes home with a letter about something he may need or want. A regular one is about the next school trip, where, for example it cost £300, pay in full now, or pay £33 X 10.
The latest one is for a Chromebook pay in full now £120 + £30 insurance? Or pay £45 X 3 + ins. or pay £4.45 X 36 + ins.
Normally if it's an item or trip he wants I'll just pay in full, however I realise a lot of parents may not be in a position to do that. Just wondering if they can do that, no mention on letters about interest rates or total payable. The Chromebook he does want so I'll pay in full, but the insurance, again, no mention about what it's covered for or not, so won't pay that until I see a policy from the school, will be emailing them later about that.

Comments

• missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd think that extra was an administration charge rather than interest on a loan.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, I hadn't considered that, you may well be right.
    Still not paying for the mystery insurance yet though.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've never come across. Usually a payment plan is included with the school trips, so you pay a deposit to secure the place then a set amount in the w/c ....or by X date, and then another payment of £x will be due ins such and such week ending with the final balance due on <whatever> date.

Mine haven't been at a school that has you buying notebooks/ipads etc, so the above is purely for residential trips.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »

Mine haven't been at a school that has you buying notebooks/ipads etc, so the above is purely for residential trips.

Suggesting that your child needs this, to some , expensive equipment is rather like blackmail isn't it? Some parents will feel obliged to take up the offer in case their child feels the odd one out.
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have come across school activities rising from the advertised price because other kids are not paying anything, and the school cannot require them to. Not surprisingly, those who work and pay their way in life soon resent paying more.
    Been away for a while.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I have come across school activities rising from the advertised price because other kids are not paying anything, and the school cannot require them to. Not surprisingly, those who work and pay their way in life soon resent paying more.

This shouldn't happen if the activity is during school hours and the children whose parents don't pay are still participating in the activity.

For extra curricular activities, costs can rise if fewer people are participating.

You should ask the school for a copy of their Charging and Remissions policy (or should be on their website)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • z1a
    Options
    The extra amount is indeed for admin. costs. The insurance is reasonably comprehensive, and is for 3 years, so not too bad for £30.
  • William_Donati
    Options
    I'd think that extra was an administration charge rather than interest on a loan.

What about the administration charge for those who pay the full amount in one go
  • z1a
    Options
    1 receipt rather than 3 or 36, not much admin. costs there.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I find it baffling schools now saying the kids need the expensive equipment. Why do they need them. Do they not have computers in school
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts