Walk 1000 miles

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    So frustrating, a friend commented that he jogs 5 miles a day and everyone says 'well done for keeping up with your training'
    I comment that I have been walking 5 miles a day and the only reply back was 'do you not get bored' :mad:
    Ilona wrote: »
    When I am out and about in my village doing my three miles in 50 minutes I often come across runners dressed in their designer sportswear, sprinting past me. I'm sure they must think I am just playing at exercising.

The people who think there is no point in walking are those that can't be bothered to get off their backside.

Bye the way I'm up to 842 miles now.
    Ilona

I both run and walk. Although mainly my walking is in the lake district, peak district or yorkshire dales. I can't seem to make myself walk locally so just go out for a run.

I say ignore what people think and just keep walking.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    36 miles this week :T
    That's me up to 485.6 for the year since June when I started this challenge :)
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Only just made 30 miles this week but that was enough to get me over 500, not bad considering I never started keeping a record until late in June :T :)
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Checking in. I was away last week in the Lakes, did 36 miles, taking my total to 883. Not much more to do.
    ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Just as an aside, my tracker tells me that I have now accended the equivelant of Mount Everest :)
  • indesisiv
    edited 1 November 2016 at 11:28AM
    Just as an aside, my tracker tells me that I have now accended the equivelant of Mount Everest :)

I'm sure mine flashed up something about a million steps the other day but I could have imagined it ... not sure how to bring up that information now as it is not primarily designed to track stuff like that.

I can see some stats for my running / hiking that I have specifically tracked using the GPS.
    It doesn't include steps (distance travelled) / height gain etc from just everyday walking etc.

2016 to date:
    Distance: 1,150.87 mi
    Time: 216:14:09 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain: 32,827 m
    Avg Speed: 5.3 mph
    Avg HR: 147 bpm

Edit: If anyone knows how to get garmin connect to tell me the total number of steps covered when the device is just being worn and not actually tracking a specific activity then I may be able to figure something more out.

Edit2: Apparently between August, Sept, Oct I have done 1,006,174 steps that are not included in the stats above, which apparently is around 500 miles. Sadly I can't go back for the rest of the year.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Only just made 30 miles this week but that was enough to get me over 500, not bad considering I never started keeping a record until late in June :T :)

That's excellent. I see you are at the top of Everest, is the view nice:p

Years back when I started always wearing a pedometer as part of the interactive walking site, there was a guy there who set himself the target and achieved it, of a million steps in a month, which works out arund 32-33,000 a day. Pretty impressive given that he wasn't an exerciser before getting the pedometer.
  • indesisiv
    bugslet wrote: »
    That's excellent. I see you are at the top of Everest, is the view nice:p

Years back when I started always wearing a pedometer as part of the interactive walking site, there was a guy there who set himself the target and achieved it, of a million steps in a month, which works out arund 32-33,000 a day. Pretty impressive given that he wasn't an exerciser before getting the pedometer.

That's a hell of a lot of steps to do in a month!!!
    I'd guess you are talking 10 miles a day or so.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    indesisiv wrote: »
    That's a hell of a lot of steps to do in a month!!!
    I'd guess you are talking 10 miles a day or so.

Admittedly I have short legs and a short stride to boot, but broadly speaking 3.5 miles is around 7000 steps for me, so for me it would be around 15 miles ish.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    39.2 miles this week taking me to 554.9 total so far.

Next week might be a bit more difficult to hit my target as I will not be on any organised walks but I will get out on my own and see how I get on :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure