List of Banks not doing contactless cards

Comments

• Barns
    Barns Posts: 20 Forumite
    nzseries1 wrote: »
    Why not? It worked before!

I don't want to carry two wallets. And I don't want the banks telling me I have to.

Keep each of the cards on different sides of your wallet, and separate the two with a small piece of aluminium foil. This will prevent them from interfering with each other.

Then simply tap the relevant side of the wallet onto the reader.
    = Alter ipse amicus =
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You can opt out of having a contactless card if you are with First Direct (or HSBC presumably). We were told by the 1st Direct phone operator that this wasn't possible, so we emailed one of the ladies mentioned in their article0f 08/05/12 "first direct Launches Contactless"
    and mentioned this article published on the web in guardian money 09/05/12 "HSBC joins contactless payments movement"
    (Sorry - new member so I can't post the links)

We have now got a debit card without the contactless option - but were told this opt-out is not being advertised!
  • LHW99 wrote: »
    You can opt out of having a contactless card if you are with First Direct (or HSBC presumably). We were told by the 1st Direct phone operator that this wasn't possible, so we emailed one of the ladies mentioned in their article0f 08/05/12 "first direct Launches Contactless"
    and mentioned this article published on the web in guardian money 09/05/12 "HSBC joins contactless payments movement"
    (Sorry - new member so I can't post the links)

We have now got a debit card without the contactless option - but were told this opt-out is not being advertised!

Thanks for that! Have just left a message for Amanda Brown.

I've just been reissued with new card after my old card was scammed. I've been told by the call centre staff the facility can't be disabled - they also said any misuse resulting from contactless technology would be dealt with on a case by case basis so basically I could end up being liable for fraudulent transactions.

Hopefully, I too will be able to get the contactless option taken off as I've been with FD since 1990 and would hate to have to change banks now.
    It's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
  • OllyM
    OllyM Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    they also said any misuse resulting from contactless technology would be dealt with on a case by case basis so basically I could end up being liable for fraudulent transactions.

Why would you think that? I think you're being a bit too paranoid.
    Hopefully, I too will be able to get the contactless option taken off as I've been with FD since 1990 and would hate to have to change banks now.

Pretty much every big bank is starting to roll them out now so even if you do move elsewhere, you may well find they will issue you with a contactless card anyway!
  • Apologies, I know i'm posting in an old thread.

My worries with contacless:

- If thieves can get a portable version of the shops' scanner (or develop an app that does the same thing) and just carry it in a crowd taking £20 from contactless holders they pass.

- I don't notice the fraudulent transactions among all of the other transactions in my statement, after all they're only small. I can't identify every small purchase on my statements as it is.

Of they few articles I've found that aren't in blind support of contactless technology, none address these issues.

I don't want to mess around with bits of tin-foil or to note down all of my purchases, I just want the peace of mind that I had before.

n.b. Co-op bank are not allowing opting out of contactless on their current account.
  • - If thieves can get a portable version of the shops' scanner (or develop an app that does the same thing) and just carry it in a crowd taking £20 from contactless holders they pass.

Not 'liking' this point but liking it if you get me! Very valid point!

Can't say I'm a fan of contactless as anyone could steal the card and use it anywhere. Ok it's maxed to £15 at the minute but still - I'd prefer to have the £15 in my bank account thank you!!

Got a FD debit card last week - has both chip and pin and contactless. Probably what I'll be doing is chopping up the card into a million pieces and set a light to it, then just continue to use my existing Santander card.
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
  • MrSilk
    MrSilk Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The first time I used contactless, I wasn't asked to enter my PIN either :eek:
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ok it's maxed to £15 at the minute

£20 per transaction since June 2012. There could be a number of transactions before a PIN is requested.
  • alanq wrote: »
    £20 per transaction since June 2012. There could be a number of transactions before a PIN is requested.

The FD leaflet must've been outta date! It said currently £15 but soon to increase to £20...!
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
  • Apologies, I know i'm posting in an old thread.

My worries with contacless:

- If thieves can get a portable version of the shops' scanner (or develop an app that does the same thing) and just carry it in a crowd taking £20 from contactless holders they pass.

- I don't notice the fraudulent transactions among all of the other transactions in my statement, after all they're only small. I can't identify every small purchase on my statements as it is.

Of they few articles I've found that aren't in blind support of contactless technology, none address these issues.

I don't want to mess around with bits of tin-foil or to note down all of my purchases, I just want the peace of mind that I had before.

n.b. Co-op bank are not allowing opting out of contactless on their current account.

What a load of tosh.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport