Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Jun 16, 7:27 PM
    • 11,549Posts
    • 33,671Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread
    • 16th Jun 16, 7:27 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread 16th Jun 16 at 7:27 PM
    Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

Please see post number 2 for all the relevant information on the thread. Savvybuyer's excellent lists are in the subsequent posts.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!
    Last edited by redfox; 16-06-2016 at 8:38 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 3534
    • gocat
    • By gocat 28th Mar 17, 10:35 AM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 49,959 Thanks
    gocat
    See post #70373 from the lovely Anon. . And when you product code search for the points change the 2 to a 5.
    Originally posted by pacifica9
    Thanks very much. That worked
    • ilovetoshop
    • By ilovetoshop 28th Mar 17, 10:36 AM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 41,559 Thanks
    ilovetoshop
    Happy birthday AJ X

Lovely photos mhoc X

Hope Di and her dd are holding up okay , I feel for your daughter as it took 5 attempts to get me started with my first one x
    One cannot change the past, but one can ruin the present by worrying over the future.
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 28th Mar 17, 10:40 AM
    • 15,163 Posts
    • 181,258 Thanks
    mhoc
    So then Saturday morning arrived.

We had the hairdressers arrive very early to do everyone's hair and the make up artist for eldest child's make up.
    Our house had 3 floors so our bedroom on the top floor was turned into the beauty salon - room for everyone plus a bridesmaid pressing my jacket in the corner.

Oh made bacon butties for everyone - bacon butties and fizz go well together at 8.30 on a Saturday morning

Actually it was a good thing that we had a 3 story house as when we unzipped the dress from its cover and fixed it to the top railing the train bit dropped down 2 floors as did the bridesmaids dresses

Eldest son and his GF also arrived for hairdressing and to get ready and also the photographer for the informal shots.

Eldest child had arranged for a local bus company to take most of the guests up to the venue in a coach. Gf refused to walk into town to get the coach in her heels so we got an uber - fortunately only a 5 min drive as the fascinator was being crushed on the cars roof but if I put my head down it made me queasy
    The bus arrived, we all got on, the LA couple had to run across town in heels as their uber never arrived so I was the last to get on with them. The bus driver had no idea where he was going and no sat nav. He knew most of the way to the venue up to where you turn over the main road. Then GF came to the rescue using her phones satnav and we got to the venue.

The day was glorious, the ceremony was stunning with a string quartet playing, s-il father read something from Shakespeare, the LA couple did the most amazing hand written duet poem reducing us to tears and themselves.
    The fizz flowed, the photographed snapped everything, the meal was perfect. We had worked on OHs speech for hours and he was first up, lots of laughter at the funny bits, then speeches from groom, best man and maid of honour - all very well written.

Then the band strolled up, 3 very greasy rockers, groom had taken ages to book them and then over spent by £600 but apart from being very loud, they kept everyone on the dance floor for hours.

Instead of a traditional cake they had a layered cheese cake - literally the cheese course stacked up. This was cut up for cheese and biscuits later on and also sausage and bacon baps were served up.

and a good time was had by all
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • pacifica9
    • By pacifica9 28th Mar 17, 10:44 AM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 32,271 Thanks
    pacifica9

We had the hairdressers arrive very early to do everyone's hair and the make up artist for eldest child's make up.
    Our house had 3 floors so our bedroom on the top floor was turned into the beauty salon - room for everyone plus a bridesmaid pressing my jacket in the corner.

Oh made bacon butties for everyone - bacon butties and fizz go well together at 8.30 on a Saturday morning

Actually it was a good thing that we had a 3 story house as when we unzipped the dress from its cover and fixed it to the top railing the train bit dropped down 2 floors as did the bridesmaids dresses

Eldest son and his GF also arrived for hairdressing and to get ready and also the photographer for the informal shots.

Eldest child had arranged for a local bus company to take most of the guests up to the venue in a coach. Gf refused to walk into town to get the coach in her heels so we got an uber - fortunately only a 5 min drive as the fascinator was being crushed on the cars roof but if I put my head down it made me queasy
    The bus arrived, we all got on, the LA couple had to run across town in heels as their uber never arrived so I was the last to get on with them. The bus driver had no idea where he was going and no sat nav. He knew most of the way to the venue up to where you turn over the main road. Then GF came to the rescue using her phones satnav and we got to the venue.

The day was glorious, the ceremony was stunning with a string quartet playing, s-il father read something from Shakespeare, the LA couple did the most amazing hand written duet poem reducing us to tears and themselves.
    The fizz flowed, the photographed snapped everything, the meal was perfect. We had worked on OHs speech for hours and he was first up, lots of laughter at the funny bits, then speeches from groom, best man and maid of honour - all very well written.

Then the band strolled up, 3 very greasy rockers, groom had taken ages to book them and then over spent by £600 but apart from being very loud, they kept everyone on the dance floor for hours.

Instead of a traditional cake they had a layered cheese cake - literally the cheese course stacked up. This was cut up for cheese and biscuits later on and also sausage and bacon baps were served up.

Originally posted by mhoc
    Sounds amazing mhoc. Definitely a day you will remember.
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.” ~ Ferris Bueller
    • pacifica9
    • By pacifica9 28th Mar 17, 10:50 AM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 32,271 Thanks
    pacifica9
    The low-hanging, grey clouds have not yet lifted over Eyemouth so I'm enjoying my third coffee (decaf) with a spot of Spotify and a catch-up, happily enjoying watching the seagulls walking on someone else's caravan roof. Although they don't appear to be wearing the hobnail boots they must be wearing when they walk on mine!
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.” ~ Ferris Bueller
    • ilovetoshop
    • By ilovetoshop 28th Mar 17, 10:52 AM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 41,559 Thanks
    ilovetoshop

Originally posted by mhoc

Sounds like an amazing time was had my all X

I've just made myself laugh as I saw you were posting so put the kettle on pulled up a chair and got a nice big bar of chocolate ready for the next instalment of a day in the life of mhoc

Edit. I swear someone must of came and ate my chocolate because I'm sure I didn't
    Last edited by ilovetoshop; Today at 10:55 AM.
    One cannot change the past, but one can ruin the present by worrying over the future.
    • altojack
    • By altojack 28th Mar 17, 10:53 AM
    • 8,489 Posts
    • 115,996 Thanks
    altojack
    Mhoc, what a fantastic time you've had, the photos are lovely. You see, all those weeks and months of panic we're not necessary as it was all very well planned out.

Love the description of the 'wedding cake' such a novel idea and I bet it was enjoyed by most there.

I am intrigued by you becoming un-nest free! I have my thoughts on that one. There is a young homeless man ..............

Time to get on with your iPad photo album then it'll be time to tidy the garden xx
    There's no place like home
    • altojack
    • By altojack 28th Mar 17, 10:54 AM
    • 8,489 Posts
    • 115,996 Thanks
    altojack
    Thank you for the birthday wishes, muchly appreciated xx
    There's no place like home
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 28th Mar 17, 10:57 AM
    • 15,163 Posts
    • 181,258 Thanks
    mhoc
    Sunday morning we had to go back to the venue to clear up and we had to get it done by 11. We had to set the alarm and be up and out by 8. The venue would have charged £200 if we hadn't done the clearing up ourselves
    So 3 of us went up, 2 stayed behind to tidy the house which was also in a shambles.
    The venue looked like a scene of devastation when we arrived but we got stuck in and it only took about 90 mins to clear up. Everything was boxed up and taken down and s-i-l parents came along later to collect it all up for storage.

Then we went back to the house to recover which at least was clean. Eldest son and Gf went off to Leeds to see friends for the afternoon. I ended up back in bed for half an hour but I think it was more like 2 hours.
    Eldest child and S-i-L had stayed the night in the hotel they had stayed at for their engagement and they'd then taken to lunch their American, then she came by to collect her belongings. Then S-i-l came to pick her up, eldest son and GF as all 8 of them went out for an Italian on Sunday night.
    Parents stayed home, too knackered to go anywhere

Then Monday morning we had to clear up and be out by 10 - eldest son and his GF were originally going to the Lake District for a few days but it was cancelled so instead they stayed on Sunday night and then went house hunting on Monday morning.

Eldest child and her OH plus the LA couple also went off on Monday morning for a 4 day trip

That left us with youngest Errant son.
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    • emerald21
    • By emerald21 28th Mar 17, 11:10 AM
    • 9,090 Posts
    • 103,781 Thanks
    emerald21
    Woken up this morning by an early morning phone call (7.15am) from DD2 who is at Uni in Essex. Her car had broken down on her way to placement in Southend. Luckily we have a joint AA breakdown policy so she was waiting for them to arrive. Seems that the clutch has gone so car has been towed to her Uni house. We now have to decide whether to buy her a new car or if hubby goes down (over 200 miles) to put a new clutch in this one. It is an old V reg so definitely not worth paying garage prices to replace a clutch Luckily we also have 'stay mobile' with the AA so she has been given a hire car for 3 days which gives us some breathing space to decide what to do. So she has gone from a 17 year old Ford Fiesta to a 66 reg Nissan Juke. So I will be have palpitations for 3 days hoping that she is very careful in it Whatever we decide it is more money from the Bank of mum & Dad
    Originally posted by Nellie35
    Oh dear Nellie that's a pest isn't it ?
    • emerald21
    • By emerald21 28th Mar 17, 11:20 AM
    • 9,090 Posts
    • 103,781 Thanks
    emerald21
    Glad everything went well mhoc

Happy Birthday to AJ and anyone else I may have missed.
    • MKS
    • By MKS 28th Mar 17, 11:21 AM
    • 9,297 Posts
    • 144,487 Thanks
    MKS
    Sorry to hear this.

There is a website that compares funeral prices mentioned in the Sunday Times yesterday (unfortunately mine has already been thrown out).

Think it is funeralbooker.com
    Originally posted by silvercar
    Thanks, silvercar, will take a look.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 28th Mar 17, 11:27 AM
    • 24,305 Posts
    • 290,506 Thanks
    davemorton
    Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 28th Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    • 15,163 Posts
    • 181,258 Thanks
    mhoc
    Errant youngest son - he has his second tribunal today.
    I messaged him on Friday as the choice was between going straight down to Kings Cross on Sunday after the wedding, when possibly the train fares would be cheaper. Or I said he could come back with us on Monday morning, a bit of a squeeze but I said there would be room in the car. So he decided on option 2 and came back with us in the car - then getting the late afternoon train to Euston.

Ive no idea what his plans were for Monday night or this morning or even where his van is. I don't even know what exactly will be happening after today. He was living in his van for about 10 days having given up his flat lease.
    And in the meantime also lost his job.

As his big bag is still here and trainers he must be coming back here at some point but I don't know when - I know Oh asked him but I don't know if he got a straight answer out of him.

I don't think he made any mates in the 8 months he was in kent. His mate in Wales works school term times so he wont be available for a few weeks yet. So the options are the van or here.
    I did ask him about coming home a few weeks back, if only for the process of doing job applications but he just blanked me.

In the meantime I think he is applying to army careers - even though Ive said and he knows its not a quick fix. It took months and months for eldest son to get through his applications, do medicals and PE physicals etc and in the meantime he had to work in a butchers to fill the gap. I think it was April when he was going for interviews and then November before he went on basic training.
    Eldest child thinks this idea is ridiculous and errant son wont even make it through applications, never mind the 12 week basic training. I suspect that Errant son is keen on the salary and married quarters which is another world of complications
    So in the meantime we just have to wait and see what happens.

Best case scenario would be if he got his Kent job back - unlikely
    Worst case scenario - that he does not even get interviews, cant even get employment in his trained career. There is a vague possibility he could apply to his first employer again but they are not taking on until November
    In the meantime we will be supporting him until this mess is sorted.

For now we are still in wedding aftermath glow and too blissed out to even think about the worst case situations
    • mhoc
    • By mhoc 28th Mar 17, 11:43 AM
    • 15,163 Posts
    • 181,258 Thanks
    mhoc
    Thank you for the birthday wishes, muchly appreciated xx
    Originally posted by altojack
    Eldest son and his Gf have been house hunting in your neck of the woods. GF got the job she applied for, a big international software company based in Cambridge so they have been looking for places to live that are half way between her work and eldest sons base.

I cant say much or I will jinx things but yesterdays viewings went well. If things go to plan it might be sooner rather than later.

So if your empty nest gets a bit empty and echoey you can always drop food parcels on their doorstep as I think they will only be about 25 mins from you

They are looking at unfurnished places so they are thinking of usin places like Heart Foundation furniture warehouses for things like dining table and chairs, sofas etc
    • MKS
    • By MKS 28th Mar 17, 11:54 AM
    • 9,297 Posts
    • 144,487 Thanks
    MKS
    Happy Birthday, AJ, have a good one, x
    • gocat
    • By gocat 28th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 49,959 Thanks
    gocat
    Happy Birthday AJ. Have a great day
    • mrsmac10
    • By mrsmac10 28th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    • 3,306 Posts
    • 43,734 Thanks
    mrsmac10
    Wonderful stories mhoc

Glad everything went so well and a beautiful radiant bride is so obvious from the pictures

May I wish them a long and happy married life

Errant son? You will cope cos you are his mother
    Frugal Feb £60 for 2 Forgot about S bonus swipe so will need to rethink. May just ignore S spend as it will be mostly wine for a future party

Decided on £100 for Feb and March Cant get DH to buy in completely and have APGS to use up
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 28th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    • 4,122 Posts
    • 43,638 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Lovely to hear all about the wedding, mhoc, thank you for sharing, I've really enjoyed reading your posts and I'm glad it all went well.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• mhoc
    • By mhoc 28th Mar 17, 12:08 PM
    • 15,163 Posts
    • 181,258 Thanks
    mhoc
    Exactly - photos and then some therapeutic digging in the garden, the sunshine finally seems to be getting through.

Yes, the wedding was all planned within an inch of its life. I think most of my panics stemmed from total and utter ignorance, wedding planning is a total black art and about 90% of the time we had no idea what was happening or what needed to happen. Eldest child though is a demon organiser.

And yes I imagine Errant son might be back home for the foreseeable future - 3 years of college, 2 years of uni for what might be nothing ...

Mhoc, what a fantastic time you've had, the photos are lovely. You see, all those weeks and months of panic we're not necessary as it was all very well planned out.

Love the description of the 'wedding cake' such a novel idea and I bet it was enjoyed by most there.

I am intrigued by you becoming un-nest free! I have my thoughts on that one. There is a young homeless man ..............

Time to get on with your iPad photo album then it'll be time to tidy the garden xx
    Originally posted by altojack
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,861Posts Today

8,035Users online

Martin's Twitter