Pip claim

Options
hi all im new to this site i just need a bit of advise

i have my PIP assesment on the 4th april i have perpherial vascular disease and need a wheelchair to go out as my condition has deroriated since i first claimed for PIP , i rang benefits and PIP to tell them my condition had changed but neither of them wanted to know ,im really worried this will affect my claim as when i filled the form in for PIP i was able to walk

any help would be most helpfull

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

i have my PIP assesment on the 4th april i have perpherial vascular disease and need a wheelchair to go out as my condition has deroriated since i first claimed for PIP , i rang benefits and PIP to tell them my condition had changed but neither of them wanted to know ,im really worried this will affect my claim as when i filled the form in for PIP i was able to walk

I would go ahead with the assessment and explain that your condition has deteriorated since you completed the form.

I know this will seem like a daft question but have you recent written evidence of this deterioration that you haven't sent with your PIP application? A recent letter from your doctor/consultant? It might be worth getting some evidence if you can. You can give it to your assessor at the appointment.

Once you get the results of your assessment then you can consider the options available to you.
  • willoswonka
    Options
    yes i have letters from the hospital and i assume they will get in contact with my gp
  • rockingbilly
    Options
    yes i have letters from the hospital and i assume they will get in contact with my gp
    Most unlikely I'm afraid.

Although the regulations make it clear that the assessor is responsible for collecting evidence they very rarely do. They seem to have passed that responsibility onto the claimant without telling the government.
  • rockingbilly
    Options

Do you mean Peripheral Arterial Disease? Leg/groin?
  • willoswonka
    Options
    yes in my legs , also have no feeling from my toes to half way down my feet in both and dint have this until i had my little toe amputated and it all started then but it has got alot worse in the last few months , i was looking at sueing the nhs as well
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 March 2017 at 4:00PM
    Options
    Most unlikely I'm afraid.

Although the regulations make it clear that the assessor is responsible for collecting evidence they very rarely do. They seem to have passed that responsibility onto the claimant without telling the government.
    You said you would not give advice... yet again you break a promise.

In terms of advice Op I think others will be better. The timing is unfortunate and could make things messy as you should be assessed according to your claimed problems at application (I assume this is your first application)... and then update DWP with new medical status and they'd determine if they should reassess entitlement. Others will be along to better advise on tactics here because timing and order you do things could be quite significant. What I certainly would advise... after your assessment... the working day after preferably.. contact DWP via number on DWP PIP letter and ask for a copy of the assessment report (the PA4 consultant report) as that will likely be significant in determining the decision later made... and also could influence advice here regarding changed medical circumstances. In terms of contacting your GP... 'they' may but if they do it won't likely be for substantial information and should have been before inviting you to attend this assessment. If there is any evidence you want considered then take the lead in providing it.. your next opportunity to do that here is at the assessment itself.

Regarding that assessment; don't be shy in describing your difficulties relevant to the descriptors/activities that determine entitlement and expect questions about typical day to day activities. You may feel rushed during the assessment as they try to get through it efficiently whilst banging away on their PC keyboard... but remember this is your assessment not theirs... think about what you can say regarding your difficulties before attending and have a good read of what you've already written in your How Your Disability Affects You form.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • willoswonka
    Options
    whats happening here ?
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 March 2017 at 4:19PM
    Options
    whats happening here ?
    I've added to my post above.. was disrupted by my wife..lol.
    Regarding Rockinbilly... unfortunately he has difficulties distinguishing fact from fantasy and good advice from deliberate misinformation. A couple of weeks ago he claimed never to have had a mobility scooter... a couple of years earlier he was having problems getting it into his car. A perennial poster under multiple guises who gains a new medical complaint every time he lacks for attention. Unfortunately his advice on claiming disability or sickness benefits is on a par with having an alcoholic who has been in solitary confinement for a decade advise you on which high street pubs to eat lunch in. They may sound credible until you get to the recommended venue and find it closed in 1962 and has since become a Muslim prayer room and student flats. Anyway I hope the Geordie humour adds something to your day while you figure out best way forward here. Alongside advice on MSE you'll always get something extra for free.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure