Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dhokes
    • By dhokes 20th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 54Posts
    • 4Thanks
    dhokes
    Affordable / social housing - avoid or a does it just have a bad reputation?
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    Affordable / social housing - avoid or a does it just have a bad reputation? 20th Mar 17 at 7:52 PM
    I'm looking at purchasing a new build on a development site and there's a house available next to some social housing. Should I be concerned or not? What are other people's experiences living next to affordable/social housing?
Page 3
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 24th Mar 17, 1:31 AM
    • 21,636 Posts
    • 85,364 Thanks
    Davesnave
    .... doubtless we would all prefer to live where there are no neighbours but the budget doesn't stretch.
    Originally posted by Money saving maniac
    In rural areas, it's quite easy to buy an averagely-priced property with no close neighbours.

It probably won't be in a convenient place, though, and as a rule, people choose convenience over privacy.

Other things are also missing, such as street lights, pavements and that comfy feeling that others are not far away.....all of which scares quite a few individuals. Neighbourhood Watch is carried out here with binoculars.

But if anyone thinks being distant from neighbours means no disputes, think again!
    I used to suffer with kleptomania, but now I take something for it.
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 24th Mar 17, 5:43 AM
    • 258 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    To sum up, some people are lovely, some people are nasty. Some people live in social housing, some don't. Avoiding 'social housing' will not automatically exclude the nasty people.

I hope wherever you eventually buy your neighbours are lovely!
    • Newbie78
    • By Newbie78 24th Mar 17, 8:18 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Newbie78
    It's not all good either, doubtless we would all prefer to live where there are no neighbours but the budget doesn't stretch.

However the risk of paying out hundreds of thousands of pounds to have screeching kids bouncing their balls off your windows or teenagers scratching your car is not a rewarding thought.

Therefore I do not blame the OP for questioning himself.
    Originally posted by Money saving maniac

My goodness! The Horror of the unknown
    • chrissie83
    • By chrissie83 24th Mar 17, 9:41 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    chrissie83
    I grew up on a road which was mostly bought & a few social housing dotted around ( ours was one of them) we all played out on the street as kids on our bikes etc
    As an adult we live on a street which is bought/ LA & rented ( ours is bought) I have a LA house on one side & bought one the other. We have had a couple of problems with next door (LA) they have a big noisey dog, which they don't clean up after very often . We asked them & they didn't do anything so I & the other side complained to the housing association. If they get 2 complaints in 6 months they get someone come out to them & 3 they get evicted.
    On my m.I. l's road you don't get much change from £2000k which is expensive for where we live & she has some terrible, noisey & scruffy neighbours.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,834Posts Today

8,042Users online

Martin's Twitter