Comments

• Good things:j
    • I have been paid
    • Long awaited expenses have been paid and next lot submitted
    • Job is improving
    • I am home and I don't go away with work for another month
    • Scottish power switch is all going through
    • BT have called (when I wasn't here) to discuss another deal I think
    • Been to visit stepson 2 in his new house and meet his girlfriend. She is beautiful, BEAUTIFUL, and very lively! He seems really happy and they have the place nice. The husband is pleased.

Bad things:(
    • Still waiting for DDs to go out and I'm getting all impatient to see the Big Number go down
    • A few extra spends
    • Am spending £45 on a new ironing board. Confessed to the husband last night and he admitted he nearly went out and bought one while I was away earlier this week. Our one is ok but it's a woolworths one so I can no longer get covers to fit so they just ping off which is beyond annoying.
    • Spent £22 on stepson. Hardly the most generous, and I have added a 'stepchildren' category in the budget because we do give them little bits here and there
    • £12 on reed diffuser refill because I thought my house smelt a bit damp when I walked in after being away. It now smells of lavender.
    • Have accidentally gone DAYS extra with no shopping. We ran out of food on Monday but I couldn't order any until payday. When I ordered it on Tuesday, I hadn't noticed it didn't go through because my card details were no longer valid - doh!
    • £15 m&s spends on food last night (the dine in for £10 and a couple of other bits) because of the above. Cheaper than takeaway though

Am very excited about my new ironing board arriving.
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • Sounds like more good things than bad, on the whole! Glad your job is improving :)
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Sometimes spending that bit more on the ironing board is worth it - we probably paid around £50 for ours a few years ago but it's much better and more stable than the previous very cheap ones we'd bought and is lasting a lot longer! So happy new ironing board. :beer::D
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • Call me daft but a new ironing board makes the chore a little bit more pleasurable .... only until the 2nd time I need to use it :rotfl:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I actually enjoy ironing, so a new ironing board would bring me great joy ! Sad I know .

Sounds as though the good outweighs the bad so keep going paws.
  • Bobarella wrote: »
    Shoot for the moon and land among the stars. Or some other hallmark platitude :) I used to use the stretch concept. Set a target, then set a stretch target. It helped me pay off a lot more as I always wanted to hit the stretch even if it meant living on beans.

And this is why you are nearly out of debt and I am smothered in mine. Bob, I wish I could stretch myself the way you do. I'm afraid I'm just too lazy :o
    Sounds like more good things than bad, on the whole! Glad your job is improving :)

Yes I'm feeling quite upbeat about things, I feel quite grateful. I discussed it last night with the husband, that I have no right to moan, things are pretty good considering how badly we have managed money for years.
    sashybo wrote: »
    Sometimes spending that bit more on the ironing board is worth it - we probably paid around £50 for ours a few years ago but it's much better and more stable than the previous very cheap ones we'd bought and is lasting a lot longer! So happy new ironing board. :beer::D

Thank you for making me feel better about the ironing board. Perhaps not as frivolous spend as I first feared.:)
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • boxofpaws
    boxofpaws Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 February 2017 at 3:25PM
    Call me daft but a new ironing board makes the chore a little bit more pleasurable .... only until the 2nd time I need to use it :rotfl:
    I actually enjoy ironing, so a new ironing board would bring me great joy ! Sad I know .

Sounds as though the good outweighs the bad so keep going paws.

It took a lot of effort not to buy an ironing board with raspberry colour legs and a beautiful cover on it for £22 more. I really thought I would get pleasure out of setting that up each time. Marie Kondo says you should only have things in your life that bring you joy. Stop me from thinking about raspberry ironing boards!
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • boxofpaws wrote: »
    It took a lot of effort not to buy an ironing board with raspberry colour legs and a beautiful cover on it for £22 more. I really thought I would get pleasure out of setting that up each time. Marie Kondo says you should only have things in your life that bring you joy. Stop me from thinking about raspberry ironing boards!

:rotfl:

In that case I should get rid of my hoover, iron and washing machine.. may keep the DH !!!
  • I would have found it SO HARD not to buy the prettier ironing board!
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • :rotfl:

In that case I should get rid of my hoover, iron and washing machine.. may keep the DH !!!

:rotfl::rotfl:
    I would have found it SO HARD not to buy the prettier ironing board!

Oh my gosh, I can't believe how sad I now feel that I didn't buy the pretty ironing board. I am actually sitting here looking at pictures of it:(.
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport