PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Lambert Pugh solicitors - anyone dealt with them?

Options
Hi all, just had an offer accepted on a house and am looking to instruct a solictor.
Did a lot of shopping around and got the best quote from Lambert Pugh in Norwich (FTB, Freehold, Purchase price of £165,000 - quote including all disbursements and stamp duty @ £2,105).

Does anyone have any experience of dealing with this company and if yes then what were your experiences?

Thanks

Comments

• spudulike9975
    Options
    As the title says they are hopeless. What should have taken weeks took months. They are never available when you contact them by phone, don't answer letters or emails, I just had to keep chasing and chasing them. I still have two outstanding questions on the house I bought they didn't bother asking, even though I wrote, emailed and phoned with the questions.They have driven me insane, I'm still waiting for the post completion stuff and still trying to get them moving even today. The only thing going for them is they are cheap but I would rather have paid double or treble and used someone else.
  • tower
    tower Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi, must say i had a simular experiance as the above poster. they are ok to contact at first, but as things progress they are near impossible to contact.
    They only gave me their bank details so we could transfer funds at 3pm on the day before completion, still had to chase them all day and finally told them i would hold them reponsible if we didn't complete.
  • pocket123
    Options
    DO NOT EVER USE LAMBERT PUGH SOLICITORS - NORWICH

I have never dealt with such complete idiots in all my life, they have failed as solicitors and have been reported to the Legal Ombudsman they should be closed down! Lost paperwork, they tell lies(written confirmation of this), lost house sale, no communication, failed to inform me that there was a right of way access through my property is was only discovered when i went to resell it.
    I cant not say this enough do not under any circumstances use this firm!!!!! It is worth paying another solicitor an extra couple of hundred pounds to make sure things are completed properly and in a timely fashion. The cheapness of this firm does not make up for the stress and frustration.
  • Richard_Webster
    Options
    Lets unpack the figures. He is buying for £165,000 and we know how much the SDLT and the Land Registry Fee will be.

£2,105 less £1,650 SDLT is £455

£455 less £200 Land Registry Fee is £255.

Now you will at least have to pay for a local search. These range from £50 to £280! So let's take a typical one and say £120 for that. That leaves £135 which when you take away 20% VAT is £112.50 for the legal work and also for the electronic bank transfer to complete.

Nobody could afford to do conveyancing for that amount so I would suggest there are some extras that you have not noticed. Did they miss out the search fees and say that you would also have to pay search fees which would vary in amount?

Is there some small print somewhere that says they will charge the amount shown in section 8 of your mortgage offer for the legal work on the mortgage?
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • CheeseCat
    CheeseCat Posts: 378 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm i'm with these at the moment for my conveyancy work - not had as big issues as the above posters yet though (touch wood)

They are slower than I would like... I have to chase them and they never answer the phone - I leave messages and they are not returned so I end up emailing to get an eventual response.

My solicitor also told me we were just waiting for some things to be sent before we could arrange exchange (things I had already been sent from them) and I sent me a few half documents from the seller's solicitor which made no sense until I asked for the other half.

I'm hoping that's as bad as it gets, will let you know though! My quote is very low, if you read the document that comes with the quote it states what isn't included, alot of the things listed don't apply to me.
    Proud meowmy of four fuzzy cats :)
  • CheeseCat
    CheeseCat Posts: 378 Forumite
    Options
    FYI

What Our Quoted Fee Does Not Include

Our fee is intended to cover the work routinely carried out in a conveyancing
    transaction. There will occasionally, however, be work which is not routine or which was not anticipated. For some of this, we may make fixed additional charges as follows:
    i. Dealing with a title insurance policy including any necessary correspondence and statutory declarations £100.00 plus V.A.T.
    ii. Issuing a Search Indemnity Policy in lieu of completing a Local Search £25.00 plus V.A.T.
    iii. In the case of a more than one person purchasing a property, the preparation of a Deed defining their respective rights (N.B. we strongly recommend such a Deed where the purchasers are not married or there is a business relationship between them) From £70.00 plus V.A.T.
    iv. The preparation of a Power of Attorney £45.00 plus V.A.T.
    v. Where we are asked to arrange completion in under five working days of exchange of contracts (excluding the actual date of exchange) £50.00 plus V.A.T.; or within seven working days £25 plus V.A.T.
    vi. Correspondence with a second mortgagee or bank in connection with a new mortgage or the redemption of an existing mortgage £45.00 plus V.A.T. for each additional mortgage.
    vii. Correspondence with an independent management company £50.00 plus V.A.T. to £100.00.
    viii. Sending purchase money or mortgage redemption money by same day transfer (often referred to as CHAPS payments) £35.00 plus V.A.T. in respect of each transfer – includes fee paid to Bank.
    ix. Obtaining special clearance of a cheque if we are required to do so in order to have cleared funds before making payment. £25.00 plus V.A.T. – includes Bank fees.
    Examples of other work for which we reserve the right to make a reasonable additional charge are:
    i. Correspondence and work needed to resolve a non routine problem connected with the property, e.g. a right of way or planning difficulty or boundary dispute.
    ii. In the case of a leasehold property, additional work required because of service charge provisions or particular problems in the Lease

This Firm will endeavour to inform you of any unforeseen additional work (for example, due to unexpected difficulties) or if your requirements or circumstances change significantly during the transaction. We will endeavour to inform you of the estimated cost of any additional work if this situation arises.

Unless we have an alternative arrangement with you we reserve the right to charge for abortive work at the rate stated above for additional work. Fees for abortive work will not exceed the fixed quotation you will have received.
    Proud meowmy of four fuzzy cats :)
  • highguyuk
    highguyuk Posts: 2,763 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone had any recent experiences?
  • Liquidity
    Liquidity Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone? Recently?
  • romany
    romany Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used them last year. Offer accepted in March and completed August, but think delay was to do with Searches which held it up. Always rang back if not available when I rang them and answered emails. No worse or better than anyone I've used before, although much cheaper.
  • HOTLIPS
    Options
    H,
    We used Lambert Pugh when we sold our house in Suffolk in June 2014.
    We found them to be very professional and ultimately got a good job done for the price.
    On occasions they didn't return phone calls (not unlike other conveyansing firms who charge double the price) but we accepted that, because of what they charge, they were very busy.
    Akin to buying a mini and expecting it react like a Rolls Royce!!
    If you can afford a Rolls Royce why are people commenting on the performance of a mini???
    I have no hesitation in recommending this firm and good luck to anyone who uses them.
    A VERY STAISFIELD CUSTOMER.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport